Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a group of anti-biking hikers at Kanawha State Forest, WV who recently have set traps to sabotage bikers as they ride the trails.

I came across one of their famous "bike traps" today. I was taking my dogs out for a stroll in the Forest (forced by guilt trip for leaving them at home the past 6 days). We walked up Davis Creek from the pond and at the turn-off for Teaberry we climbed up towards Shrewsbury. This section has a steep and gnarly "crash n burn" section going the opposite way and right above it is a small stream crossing. Well... I could see the fallen tree from the downihll side...

The tree was cut at a 90 degree angle off it's stump, which rested several meters uphill of the stream and there was no way it would've fallen right across the dip in the trail where the stream flows and blocked the tree between waist and chest high. It was cut at a 90 degree angle and four feet or so after it crossed the trail it was cut again at 90 degrees and propped up on the other piece of the tree (which was buried into the ground). The uphill end of the tree had obviously been placed, as a small hole the width of the tree had been dug out of the ground.

I couldn't do anything but report it when I got back to the office. I was half-tempted to go knock on the super's residence and let him know about the situation. But if it is not cleared by next weekend I most certainly will. The super is very pro-biking (he has a northshore course in his backyard). And if any of you reprobate hikers are reading this post out there... you better hope to hell I or anyone else with a two-wheel mind EVER finds out who you are or sees you destroying our trails because I, like many others, will not hesitate to accelerate your denture process... nor will my headset wrench.

·
Registered
374 Posts
pipedream said:
...bastards on parade...
This reminds me of something. Gary Klein has been known to ride with a sidearm. As much as I'm not a gun guy, nor a violence guy, I am a confrontational animal, and have little sympathy for anyone Gary might encounter rigging the ever-popular monofilament line or otherwise malicious boobytrap on an mtb trail. Actually, this really frickin burns me up. I'd easily go so far as to plan a stakeout to catch the wretched toads, and then probably change the kind of guy I'm not for a couple hours... Karma served, toasted, on a roll...

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
pipedream said:
The tree was cut at a 90 degree angle off it's stump, which rested several meters uphill of the stream and there was no way it would've fallen right across the dip in the trail where the stream flows and blocked the tree between waist and chest high. It was cut at a 90 degree angle and four feet or so after it crossed the trail it was cut again at 90 degrees and propped up on the other piece of the tree (which was buried into the ground). The uphill end of the tree had obviously been placed, as a small hole the width of the tree had been dug out of the ground.
Lemme get this straight: Hikers, who allegedly love nature, cut down a tree to create a booby trap? :rolleyes:

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
I totally understand. The shock, surprise, and disappointment from seeing that someone else doesn't want you on the trails. I've encountered the same exact thing. A dozen downed trees. Or an aggressive fish and game warden who felt he could enforce his rules, even on private land. So I moved. It sounds like you have these hikers nailed. But don't join in their stupidity. It makes bikers look like the same thing. And mtbr.

·
I like bikes.
268 Posts
Has anyone here actually hit a monofilament line? Depending on its height, that seems like it could be fatal. This really pisses me off and makes me a little worried to ride trails i'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Back in 90 or 91 I hit a boobytrap on the Peaks trail between Breckenridege and Frisco, CO. The thing is hard to explain, but basically it was a 2x4 and some bailing wire and it did a really good job of wrapping itself into my front tire and sending me into a high speed endo. I was battered and bloody, but luckily I was a highschooler back then and bounced back pretty quick. A bunch of trees and trail signs had been knifed, saying things like "no bikes" and F^&* bikers. Whoever did that is lucky I (or somebody else) didn't break my neck, it was a really fast section of trail, probably going at least 25mph.

·
Registered
395 Posts
jonlong said:
Has anyone here actually hit a monofilament line? Depending on its height, that seems like it could be fatal. This really pisses me off and makes me a little worried to ride trails i'm not familiar with.
I knew a girl in high school whose brother was decapitated by a thin metal wire boobytrap.
He was riding his motorcycle on some trails that were (as I recall) designated for such use, and someone did not agree with this. They did find out who placed the wire and he was charged.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Bootleg Canyon As Well

We've had our share of idiot hikers as well. In the past year or two we had a local idiot hiker stacking rocks and stuff in several of the xc trails at Bootleg Canyon. Luckily no one was hurt and Brent caught the guy doing it and got the local police dept. involved. I guess the threat of jail time has cooled this guy off. Besides, now the mtb community knows who is doing it -- payback could be ugly. We haven't had any problems since.

mc

·
I like bikes.
268 Posts
That is really horrible. Bikers and hikers seek the same solitude in the outdoors and both feel very strongly about protecting the land. I don't see why there has to be such opposition towards mountain biking. Anyone know the hiker's reasoning behind this? Is it the speed that mountain bikers go through the trails?

What would you do if you found someone setting up a trap on the trails?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Master Shake said:
This reminds me of something. Gary Klein has been known to ride with a sidearm. As much as I'm not a gun guy, nor a violence guy, I am a confrontational animal, and have little sympathy for anyone Gary might encounter rigging the ever-popular monofilament line or otherwise malicious boobytrap on an mtb trail. Actually, this really frickin burns me up. I'd easily go so far as to plan a stakeout to catch the wretched toads, and then probably change the kind of guy I'm not for a couple hours... Karma served, toasted, on a roll...
you, sir, need to conduct motivational speaking engagements. your perspective is sensible, powerful and righteous.

respect the bike!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
In a recent issue of Mountain Bike Action magazine, there was mention of a trail being booby trapped w/ strategically placed sharp rocks.

To me these people are about as low as right to lifers that bomb women's clinics & shoot @ doctors that perform abortions. They say they are for life, but resort to violence in support of their "cause".

·
Registered
374 Posts
mtnbiker1973 said:
I just witnessed it in Pisgah national forest this weekend! I'm a pretty melow person, but this **** makes my blood boil! I hate to say hang em', but if someone ever catches them........ :mad:
This could seriously backfire on them and result in a real mess. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that anyone sabotaging/boobytrapping trails hasn't really thought it through. Aside from the fact that it takes a special kind of mind to overlook all the obvious stuff (like right/wrong, justified violence, legal/illegal) and go into action like this anyway, they're relying on what exactly to keep any MTBers from doing the same thing targeted to foot traffic on these trails? Decency? If an MTBer were to embrace this idiotic notion from their more paranoid hiking brethren, and set boobytraps targeted at hikers, the trails would be almost totally unusable for anyone. Only a fool would go into battle on the mere assumption that their enemy is simply not creative enough to strike back. There are scores of clever and effective means devised over ages for capturing and/or maiming two legged bipeds in a variety of natural environments. I'd bet there are at least a few of you here that have the same training I did, and know firsthand. It's dangerous. A few well placed boobytraps are a very short step from a ground war, and as in any war, the innocent suffer the worst of it. Lets hope people keep/get their heads on straight and progress beyond this tribal warfare bs...

·
Bad judgement in motion!
143 Posts
Master Shake said:
Only a fool would go into battle on the mere assumption that their enemy is simply not creative enough to strike back.
I think that about sums these people up, though: they are fools. But worse than that, they are angry, malevolent, sociopathic fools. They know full well what they are doing, and what might happen--in fact, they want someone to get hurt. It's disgusting. And it makes me want to hurt them back, which disgusts me even more.

Thing is, I understand the anger all too well. The mountain bikers around here are starting to get deeply angry about the ATVers either destroying or getting us kicked off trails. We've already had traps laid for bikers by bikers over trail disputes :(. Sooner or later one of these boneheads will decide to "do something about those ATVs," and the cycle of violence will begin. I understand the anger perfectly; I just don't understand acting on it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
there is some one here who puts tacks or nails on a very busy trail in a metro park. it's typically in the first week after day light savings ends. it's happened for 3 years now.

i figure it is otherpark users. this specific park was underutilized until the mtb community found it and built more trails. before the primary park activities were drug deals/use and male bonding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.