Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came up on a jogger today with ear buds. I yelled on your left a couple times but she didn't hear me. I tried a few different things and she finally noticed me after a couple hundred yards. A few minutes later, I see the same jogger stopped right in the middle of the trail. I had to come to a complete stop and my presence startled her for the second time. She said "Oh I'm so sorry. That's the second time".

I try not to scare the sh*t out of people when I ride so will keep my distance behind them until they notice me. But what should I have done in this case?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Ignore it. Not much else you can do. She said she was sorry and admitted the error of her ways. I have found that bells are totally useless with hikers, joggers, walkers and any other person not actually riding so I say hello to give them advanced warning. If that doesn't work, I close the gap but try to not be confrontational.

Yes, it is so easy to scare the crap out of people no matter how hard you try not to.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I came in here expecting some pissing and moaning about how people should stay out of your way.... pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't have done anything differently. I just crawl along behind them, slowly closing the gap, and wait for them to see you, or wait for a really wide place to pass... then be amused by her being startled.

I'm never in that big of a hurry, so I just let people do what they do, and figure it out as I go... so that we have a safe, if not pleasant interaction. It's pretty rare that I come across someone that oblivious.

·
beater
5,937 Posts
That's one reason I like loud hubs, but obviously it doesn't work with people listening to music. I've had to come to a abrupt stop at the base of a steep downhill for a woman standing in the middle of the trail with earbuds in, looking down and fiddling with her phone. 3 of us were stopped there in front of her before she looked up and said "Oh!"

Like you, I try to be patient and not obnoxious. A couple years ago I came up behind a guy who was trail running at a leisurely pace on a level stretch of trail, and I just idled along behind him for a bit, since I generally don't make a fuss about it. When I was debating whether or not to call out to him, he yelled "I'm not yielding to you, sir! You can go HERE!" and pointed off the trail on either side of him. I was a bit stunned by that, and then shrugged and passed him. Encounters like that are pretty rare around here, even with as active a trail running and hiking community as we have. The funny thing is, I'd met him at a party a few months before that. What a clown. It's become a running joke with some of my riding friends.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bells? Works better than shouting because much above a conversation voice and people can infer anger even if there is none.

I try not to scare people too, but with earbuds, it happens.

When I jog and get passed by another runner it startles me but it's my fault for having earbuds in, no different. Just smile and be polite.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Learn to manual into a bunny-hop.
Ya can get over almost any oblivious obstacle with the proper technique.

m

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Seriously...

I usually start to coast then gently back-pedal when approaching a hiker/jogger/bird-watcher/homeless-dude....whatever - I find a random noise coming from behind less of a startle then a shouted "On-yer-left". If this does not elicit a reaction, then I go with the on-your-left routine. Then hang back for a moment or two, repeat the verbal, then if they don't clue in, the next place I can pass I will do so. If I then scare the fvck out of them, then good. You need to be aware of your surroundings - You are in an environment that is not controlled - shite happens and there could be consequences from you self-imposed isolation regime. Take responsibility for your own safety, it is not my job.

michael

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
My patience goes way down when I see earbuds so I don't really care if I scare a hiker (with buds inserted) as I pass. That being said, I slow down and make it a respectful, friendly and safe pass when going by these folks. Bank, I wouldn't have waited a couple hundred yards in this particular situation. Since she willingly cut herself off from her surroundings with the ear buds I would have asserted myself a bit more. Not in a mean or overly aggressive way but just more assertive.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,759 Posts
I eat beans the night before a ride. 'Nuff said?

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
This one female runner was unwilling to move over or stop or even acknowledge I was there. I started off very polite, then I was a little louder but still polite, finally I told her I was going to pass on the left in 5 seconds and if we collided, I was not going to apologize for it. I counted down the seconds out loud, and then passed. She never moved to share the trail even one inch and continued to act as if I was not there even after I passed her. Bizarre. All the other encounters with hikers and runners I've ever had went well. Many times I've stopped and had conversations with them. Not sure what this one females issue was. Mountain bike hater I guess.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,422 Posts
If my normal voice "hello" doesn't work at a reasonable distance, I get right behind and then shout at the top of my lungs. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I usually start flicking my brake levers while on approach, it seems to cut through whatever the hiker/runners are listening to.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Use avid brakes, only thing ill miss about the noise, ppl knew I was there when I hit them

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
If they continue to ignore the bell....even when I am 5 feet behind them, and they have ear buds....once they are startled when I go to pass....they usually remove one ear bud and appoligize.....I usually comment that the volume is too high if they couldn't hear me.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
I do the paved lake path right by my house in the mornings and eves on the week days. The path has a line down the middle with heavily posted keep right pass left signage. Walkers/joggers/etc with out ear buds can hear me and are not startled as i pass. Never fails that the ones with ear buds in are dead center of the path forcing the pass deep into the opposite "lane".

I make a point of passing on the left as close to them as i can before moving back over to the right where they should have been. Passive aggressive as hell, but damned if i haven't managed to train a few of them to move over a bit.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just consider hikers, equestrians, and other bikers as interesting dynamic trail features. For static trail features there is the special rule that you shouldn't veer off trail to overcome them. For dynamic trail features the special rule that you can't scare or spook the feature is added. Just make a game out of it.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Sounds to me like you did all you could do and the fact she was startled is her fault. The fact that she apologized shoes that she accepts that fact and no harm no foul.

You can only do so much.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm always nice and respectfull. Ear buds are great, in one ear only. I occasionally run into the completely spaced out hiker. No worries, I just relax and click my brake levers until they catch site of me.
I'm out having fun, my fun isn't diminished by having to slow down a bit from time to time.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts