Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I be able to learn to pass over objects,kinda bunny hop,only by riding trails?Can it be learnt correctly without going through the learning of wheelie and manual?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Start small

and pay attention to where your weight is. You will figure out that it is not ON the object at all but before it or after it. For many objects air is just not needed, just coordination. As you manage these sorts of objects the next steps to getting wheels up in the air will come.

·
Registered
585 Posts
flargle said:
Learning to balance on your rear wheel while pedaling and coasting will give you more confidence and more options on the trail. You can practice wheelies on the trail.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/cornering-lars-sternberg-2010.html

HA!! At one minute, seventeen seconds into the film he passes between two trees...the one on the right looks like it eats bikers for a living...no bark at all on the inside where riders pass. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would learn how to manual and then unweight the rear wheel. This can get you over a lot of obstacles on the trail.

There are many videos that show you how to manual. They key as written above by BMike is where you place your weight. By weighting your front wheel and then throwing your hips back quickly behind your seat you should be able to loft the front wheel. Practice this on grass and then the trail.

After you learn this you can work on un weighting the rear wheel. By placing your weight forward on the bike. When coming up to a log loft the front wheel and then time the unweight of the rear wheel and you should clear it.

Not sure about other peoples trails they race on, but logs are normally over the trails I race.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
learning technical skills can be tough. start with a good trackstand. i can't ride an effective wheelie, but i have done pretty well from a technical perspective.

the biggest thing with technical riding is commitment. if you are not committed, you will not make it.

when i first started riding and we came across a trail obstacle that i couldn't ride, i would try again and again. this is how one learns to ride hard things. fall down, do it over!

·
Registered
177 Posts
First, learn how to ride a wheely. You can do this in front of your house in the road. Next, get a few logs and set them up in your drive way or road and practice going over them.

Smaller logs I just bunny hop, bigger logs you can try and bunny hop, just have your weight back and make sure your front wheel gets over, your back tire will impact and force the font down, which is alot faster than just wheeling over and letting your sprockets slam into it. Third option which takes some pretty good skill and works well on the bigger stuff, is a front wheel tap and then jump over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts