Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of you, i've spent a good chunk of 2021 looking for a bike. I had decided on the Ragley Big Al 1.0 from CRC and actually was able to order one at the beginning of July. However, 24 hours later, I received an email saying that I wouldn't be receiving my bike due to lack of stock. So I decided to do what any geek would do and wrote some code.

I took part of a weekend, and some beer, and put together python scripts which will do the following: Queries the CRC and Wiggle Big Al 1.0 web pages every 45 seconds for a stock change, and if there is a change, sends both an email and SMS message to my mobile phone. I'd like to make this available to everyone here and if you want to change it to suit your needs, I'm fine with that. (I caved and picked up a Giant Trance X 29-2 so the Ragley is no longer a present option, sadly. Don't tell the guys at Hardtail Party or they'll revoke my Youtube viewing privileges). I think that any web page on the CRC or Wiggle sites would work with this code but someone would need to test that if they change the URL string.

I've made a Github repository here: GitHub - BRinPA/CRC_Wiggle_Queries: Code to query "in stock" status of bikes from both CRC and Wiggle web pages.
There is a long readme file that explains everything. I'm running this on my Mac in a Terminal window so someone will need to take it and make it work on Windows. It should work just fine on a Linux flavor.
This is a public access Github account so everyone should be able to access the files.

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can so that anyone who wants to try this can.
Glad I'm able to share and hope this will help some folks get bikes. - BRnPA

· Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! Code was running on my laptop and I received an "In Stock" alert from the code four minutes before the official CRC email showed up. When stock is low, this four minutes could be crucial. (Didn't order a bike but it was fun to know that this actually worked).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.