Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Control Freak
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, when I first started riding and posting on the mtbr forums..I said in 6 months I wanted to do Pass Mountain. Well...its been around 5 or so..started in August of 2010. Anyways I have a new bike..new skills...and a love for this sport. I am not a crazy go as fast as I can kinda guy. I quit smoking after 22 years of smoking a pack a day. I started eating better and was 230lbs when I started. Now down to 216lbs :) I feel better and my legs have these things called muscles again :)

My tour guide, Doug aka "Douger" on these forums, had me meet him at his house around 2:30pm today. We drove to the trailhead and started out. Let me say, a few spots on the way to Lookout I had to walk, and a few spots I grabbed the marbles and went for it. Heart was pounding and I was nervous. Our intent was to go to Lookout and turn around, but when we got there Doug asked what i wanted to do so we kept on pedaling and going around. Let me say this: This trail is frikin amazing...The scenery was absolutely gorgeous...yeah I had to walk a few times yeah I didnt go down the Slab under the saddle...(got a great video of Doug doing it) went OTB once and got a few scrapes and bruises, but had a great time. We weren't in a hurry and we took our time.

We did this Clockwise and my favorite part was coming down after "The Slab". Talk about having to really pay attention and watch what lines you are taking. I am very happy with how I rode and I left there with a huge smile. On the way out we stopped to take pictures of what was my "Epic Ride" so far. You know the sign in the staging area :)

So I say Thank you to my tour guide, Doug and thank you Pass Mountain for not eating me up and spitting me out.

Here are some pictures!

My Tour Guide Doug!!!!

·
dirt visionary
6,506 Posts
Nice hard not to like that ride. I do it weekly out my door each week for a 16mile ride ....this gps is edited though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Several things. Congrats on the quitting smoking! That is by far the greatest gift you have given yourself, and the dividends will continue to accrue. I speak from experience. And congrats on the weight loss! It's one of those awesome side benefits to doing something you love. I was surprised and pleased at the weight loss I have experienced over the past year, but truth be told, I would have ridden anyway. Your story is priceless. Keep living it, keep riding it, keep sharing it.

Pass Mountain Trail? Right on brutha. Awesome trail, views for days, great exposure! Reading your post here really has made me commit to getting out there one more time this spring before hell sets in for the summer. Thanks for the post, the pics, and the inspiration!

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
Nice ride today. You should be proud of yourself as that is not an easy trail by any means. You have come a long way since our first ride. :thumbsup:

Rock on.

:band:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Way to go!! I can definitely relate to what you are going through. I quit smoking about a year and a half ago. Smoked for about 21 years. Picked up riding about 5 months ago and have been lovin' it ever since.

I've spent most of my time at PMP. Your ride reports are definitely encouragement to me to load up the bike and try other other trails.

:thumbsup:

·
Control Freak
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dusty...just let me know...I can take you out to Hawes and show you some really fun trails to ride...it will defintely get your heart going. Or we can Goto Usery...Wild Horse trail is fun. I have Mon/Tues off so I ride a lot on those days and on the weekends I ride in the mid afternoon around 3. I also think they are continuing the K trail rides on Sundays...Talk to GilaMonster about that one. If you need my cell number let me know.

This forum is a great way to meet people and there has not been one person that I have talked to that doesnt have a great attitude towards other mountain bikers.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Nice job Tim! I've been waiting to hit up Pass Mtn for some time now but never have. Too bad I'm off to Portland for the next 4 months for work. Maybe next fall you can guide me around PM :)

Also, let's get some Hawes group night rides going when I get back in June! I did it a few times with some friends and happen to run into Dee (CoyoteKis) and a bunch of other people last year and it's a ton of fun.

·
Control Freak
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we can get it together this summer...have fun in portland and I hope your taking the bike with you.

Tim

·
Shaman
636 Posts
Great job on quitting smoking, losing weight and finding a great passion to help you with both of those causes.

Pass Mtn is blast and it feels like a lot more than 7.1 miles! It really has it all, from fast flowy singletrack to steep ravines and off-camber rocks with a lot of exposure. Glad I decided to not listen to the old ninnies at the gate house, "that really isn't an mtb trail, no one rides that, it would be impossible on a bike" last year and ride it. Good on ya!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes P1270... :)
Any of you guys going? I don't think I've ever met you guys before but it looks like there are more of us on here than I thought! ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am staying here in AZ GOS giving nothing but the best support. Have fun in OR and feel free to ping me when you return. I will be off the crutches by then and we can ride Pass Mountian.

·
Registered
815 Posts
LOL! So you're in GOS huh? No wonder you have so much time to ride... j/k! :) I actually rarely ever call you guys as I only support the fab, not work in it. I usually harass TAC with all my needs.

Man, way for us to hijack this thread from Tim huh? :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
hatedg said:
Dusty...just let me know...I can take you out to Hawes and show you some really fun trails to ride...it will defintely get your heart going. Or we can Goto Usery...Wild Horse trail is fun. I have Mon/Tues off so I ride a lot on those days and on the weekends I ride in the mid afternoon around 3. I also think they are continuing the K trail rides on Sundays...Talk to GilaMonster about that one. If you need my cell number let me know.

This forum is a great way to meet people and there has not been one person that I have talked to that doesnt have a great attitude towards other mountain bikers.

That would be great. Unfortunately, I've got this thing called work on Monday and Tuesday but I'm thinking I need to take a day off soon. :D I'll PM you sometime in the next few weeks and see if we can get together to do one of these rides. I've heard good things about Hawes. Thx!!!

·
My other ride is your mom
5,441 Posts
congrats on the quitting smoking (to both of you on here)....Pass Mtn always delivers a different experience for me....some days it chews me up, spits me out and bludgeons me till I'm glad it's over....and other day's the crepuscular rays descend from the clouds above and I float through the chunk on a beam of light.

Either way...it keeps me coming back for either a repeat, or redemption.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts