Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glenzx and Jim Beam led a tour de force of the Dale Ball trail system that lasted 3 to 5 hours...

Glen's theme du jour was climbing....

and Jim Beam sought out the rolling ST

at times, Glen missed his Blur

we intruded on some locals..

and felt sympathy for the crank-impaired

Ultimately we were rewarded with a some descending and AndyN mugging for the camera..

thanks for looking

scott

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Must be the water

I snapped my left-side crank arm 10 days ago (4 year-old Stylo Team) while JRA on Bridges. The FSA V-drive Xtreme set that I bought as a replacement is significantly heavier, but appears more stout. Had to dremel the Kooka bashguard to get it to fit. Anyway, thanks for the very nice pics. I was on call yet again, or I'd have joined you all, thereby forcing Glen to wait even longer at the top of every climb.
- Joe

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Who is that guy?

Nice pix Scott! Didn't even see them they went up so fast.... good riding with you & the fellas.

Joe: Ha! I doubt very much I'd be the one holding you back - that Saturday ride was after 450+ miles in 2.5 weeks. I was pretty dang beat! Also, curious about the broken crank/arm - was that the BB or the arm itself? I run the Stylos and though I don't produce the shear (literally!) power that you do, I'd consider retiring the older 2+ year old set I have if the arm itself broke...

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Pic for Glen

You're probably fine, as you're more of a spinner than me. I've been doing drops to flat at Red Mesa, and you don't abuse your bike to that degree.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Damn Joe, first chains fear you, now tired of those small bits of metal, you moved on to meatier metal. animal. =)

I picked up a set of TruVative Holzfeller 7050 FR cranks for my hardtail. there super beefy for as light as they feel. you may want to look into them for your next set.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
bear said:
Noice stuff.

Glenzx, this is stuff you're going to share with the Boys from Austin this week?

If so, schweet. Can't wait.

Must be righteous stuff for you to hit it that often.

:D
That's the plan - I/we can guarantee hypoxia in no time! JK

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
You're probably fine, as you're more of a spinner than me. I've been doing drops to flat at Red Mesa, and you don't abuse your bike to that degree.
Wow! That is cool - thanks for posting the pic. Any chance they'll warantee the arm? Glad you didn't get too hurt in the process - that could be deadly. Must have been weird to have a piece of crankarm stuck to your shoe!

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
glenzx said:
That's the plan - I/we can guarantee hypoxia in no time! JK
i want in, at least for Friday. It looks like I won't be around to lead a los alamos ride on saturday though. Maybe Joe is available?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cool! I did that to a pair of the older 5 bolt style XT cranks back in the '97 Pajarito Punishment, right at the bottom of Pipeline. Smacked a rock and the next thing I knew my left crank arm was hanging from my cleat. I ended up walking the climb and still finished ahead of several folks. Lesson learned: mountain biking shoes are NOT hiking shoes. I ended up with some serious blisters from that one.

Shimano did warranty them tho.........

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
XTRKona said:
I ended up walking the climb and still finished ahead of several folks. Lesson learned: mountain biking shoes are NOT hiking shoes. I ended up with some serious blisters from that one. .
You are too hardcore. Hiking pipeline is a significant undertaking on its own. There are locals that hike it just to prepare themselves fo their mountaineering endeavors. Doing it in mtb shoes carrying the bike is some serious anti-DNFing mojo

And knowing you, your bike weighed 40 lbs (or was this back in your weight-weenie retro days)

scott

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Der Blaue Reiter said:
Cool Pix. I rode that trail last year while in Santa Fe (live in VA). I had no one to ride with and was using my brothers bike, but it was fun. The trails are well marked and easy to follow.
Cool. Come out again, maybe we can show ride with ya. Most of the trails are well marked, just don't lean against the trail signs, eh Glen?
;)

scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.