Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i'm building up my old maverick frame, and I need recommendations for XC parts that are good and light. I will need cranks, wheels, saddle, seatpost and fork recommendation. I'm going singlespeed on it, so i'm getting a Godspeed tensioner with SRAM PC-1 chain and a singlespeed cog, but I need reccomendations for other parts. I'm hoping to spend maybe $200 or so on a wheelset and about $150 on cranks, and maybe $100 on seatpost and saddle, not sure how much on the fork. I don't want anything less than 100mm for the fork, but not a whole lot of travel either, and i've been checking out the Fox Vanilla 130 and they seem like a good deal, anyone had any experience with them,I've been into Urban for so long I don't know what are good deals anymore.

Thanks for the help,
Sean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ironhorse said:
Ok so i'm building up my old maverick frame, and I need recommendations for XC parts that are good and light. I will need cranks, wheels, saddle, seatpost and fork recommendation. I'm going singlespeed on it, so i'm getting a Godspeed tensioner with SRAM PC-1 chain and a singlespeed cog, but I need reccomendations for other parts. I'm hoping to spend maybe $200 or so on a wheelset and about $150 on cranks, and maybe $100 on seatpost and saddle, not sure how much on the fork. I don't want anything less than 100mm for the fork, but not a whole lot of travel either, and i've been checking out the Fox Vanilla 130 and they seem like a good deal, anyone had any experience with them,I've been into Urban for so long I don't know what are good deals anymore.

Thanks for the help,
Sean
Hi and good luck on the build. My guess is that you'd have a difficult time finding a light/quality wheelset for only $200. For around $300 you can get the FSA XC-300's. I run them on my XC bike and have been very impressed with them. And at around 1805g they are pretty light. You shouldn't have any problem finding a saddle and seatpost for $100. Race Face makes the evolve xc cranks for around $159 (not sure if they are easily convertible to SS though). For a fork, if you're looking for something on par with the Fox Vanilla 130, maybe look into a Manitou Black or a Rock Shox Reba which I believe is cheaper. I also currently have a Marzocchi Marathon XC that I'm putting up for sale. It has 105-120mm adjustable travel and weights 1900grams. If interested, PM me.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm not exactly in the market for a fork just yet since my work won't start back up for a few more days, so it would be about 2 months until I get enough money to buy a fork. I was looking at the Race Face cranks, but was hoping for some singlespeed specific cranks, so i'm still looking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts