Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to build up a large nomad. What parts should i get?
My budget is about 700 for parts not including the money for the wheels and fork.
I am going to get a used fox 36 or lyrik for the fork and as far as wheels i hop to spend 500 at most.

ps already have frame.

·
Registered
61 Posts
sounds like you spend too much of your budget on the frame. I think in general the rule is, ~50% of money on frame and 50% on parts

Anyways, I would go for a marzocchi 66 or all mountain fork ( they are cheaper than the fox and people are pretty split between the two), i have no experience with the lyric. Depending on your riding style I would also suggest the azonic outlaw wheelsets casue they are really cheap (~$250) and everyone seems to like them, stay away fromwel known wheelsets, they are very overpriced imo (anything mavic, DT, CK). For everything else, it depends on what your type of riding, look for last years models for the cheapest and look on ebay. I like price matching on cambriabike.com. Good luck staying under 800$ unless you get a bunch of used parts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
500 for wheels
+
800 for fork
+
700 drivetrain
=
2200 for parts

1550 frame
Sorry i didn't make that clear.
As far as the 66 goes i prefer equal travel front and rear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride mostley heavy trails with 5-6 foot drops and lots of rocky climbs. I also spend a fair amount of time doing dirt jumps. I am thinking about a mix of downhill components and cross country. Possibly a mix of saint and xtr parts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ikilledkenny2 said:
My budget is about 800 for parts not including wheels and fork.
ikilledkenny2 said:
700 drivetrain
ikilledkenny2 said:
As far as the 66 goes i prefer equal travel front and rear.
ikilledkenny2 said:
I ride mostley heavy trails with 5-6 foot drops and lots of rocky climbs. I also spend a fair amount of time doing dirt jumps. I am thinking about a mix of downhill components and cross country. Possibly a mix of saint and xtr parts.
So, let me get this straight. You have $700 to spend, or is it $800?

You do heavy trail riding with dirt jumps, 5-6' drops, and rocky climbs, and you're on a budget, so you're looking at XTR parts because you want a mix of DH and XC?

A 66 is too much fork for your applications?

:confused:

Good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for running in circles it comes down to me having 2200 dollars to spend on the rest of this bike. 07 xtr shifters and derailers for weight and possibly a saint crank for durability. 66 is not to much fork i just prefer the lighter weight and shorter travel of the lyrik and 36.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From what it sounds like, you want something light and durable, but weight is more important and money doesn't seem to be too big an issue.

here is what i suggest
bar: anything 31.6 diameter
stem/seatpost: thompson
headset: chris king
drive train: since you want shimano, go xt derailleurs and cassett.
wheelset: dt 2350 ( i built a similar wheelset out of bits and love it, dt fr hubs are the best)
crankset: saints or maybe something a little lighter

I dont get the idea of putting xtr and saint on the same bike. xtr is for xc saint is for dh/fr, the nomad is not going to be raced xc (not well) so i think you would be wasting a lot of money on xtr to save a few grams which will be completely lost by the heavy saints. Dont put your money into the most broken part of the bike, the derailleur. If you want to keep the weight down, you would be better off getting xt and spending more money on your wheelset

good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have heard very good things about how the new xtr functions ie shifting. I would be willing to sram. I am just not as famaliar with their shifters and deraillers but change can be good.

·
1,247 Posts
x9 everywhere, xt or atlas cranks, dt swiss ex5.1d rims or something in the low to mid 500,
protaper / ea70 bars, thomson stem, thomson post, wtb rocket ti saddle, 2.35 tires of some sort,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.