Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After drooling over the RFX for a good year or so - I finally found a nice medium sized one, pulled the trigger, and got it (thanks to KLars). I've read a lot on the Turner forum and as nice as the frame is, it's great knowing that there are some very knowledgable people along w/ the manufacturer posting in case there are any questions or issues.

"Look" impressions: Even tho I've read about the Turner craftmanship and have looked at pics for the past year, I was still very impressed when I pulled the frame out of the box. Very understated but at the same I couldn't stop looking at it. I love how the only graphics are the Turner on the downtube. I love the very sloped TT that gives tons of room. I love the un-interupted seat tube and basic frame design. It has the perfect look for a full-suspension frame IMO.

"Feel" impressions: Got to ride it for a bit on Wed night and WOW! I don't know if I was happy just to get out and ride a new bike, or if it was the first time back on a sussy rig in months, or what. But the RFX handled everything so freaking smooth. Immediately I was thinking about the trail and picking the funnest lines - not about the bike. This is my 3rd sussy rig and it easily feels the best. I'm mostly into dirt jump/park riding but wanted a trail/FR rig to keep the lungs in shape and hit up Mtn Creek / FR stuff when the occasion comes and something that is flickable and fun to ride. I Hit a couple smaller (4-5') drops and it felt right on and definitely flickable (was able to throw in a table on the 3rd time in air). O yeah, the Turner climb. It weighs a good deal but I hit up a climb that I haven't been able to do all summer on a ht!

Attached are the pics.

Specs are:

Frame: 2002 RFX
Fork: 2003 Marz Z1 QR20 w/ stiff springs
Wheels: King hubs / dt db spokes / Sun Singletrack rims / Maxxis Minion 2.35 tires
Drivetrain: Race Face cranks / Evil SRS / 8 speed XTR cassette / Sram chain / Shimano XT 8 speed shifter / Sun ZuZu pedals
Controls: Azonic 60mm stem / Easton EA50 bars / King Steelset / Hayes Brakes
Seat: Thomson post / SDG Grand Prix seat

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
Now put some 6" rockers on and you will experience "WOW-squared."

Nice ride. Glad it went to a good home.
Thanks! haha, I actually have the 6" rockers that came with it the frame but decided to go w/ the 5" rockers that Allen was selling as I just have the 5" Marz Z1. From what I read on the board - it would offer a more balanced ride.

For next spring I'm planning on setting it up w/ a 6" fork (along w/ the 6" rockers) for trips to Mtn Creek/Diablo. Can't wait to hit the Dominion Line with this bike!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I think you should experiment and try the 6" rockers in a few weeks once you have a solid feel for how the bike rides with the 5s. The Z1 is tall enough that it will work fine with the taller 6" in back. The bike will be quicker and more trail-bike-ish, as opposed to being laid-back and big-bike-ish. You have nothing to lose except an inch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I think I'll give it a try in 6" mode in a few weeks. The Marz Z1's are a little tall so that makes sense it would still work. I can't imagine it being better than it is in 5" - it's pretty plush already!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'll be getting the 2005 Z1 fr 6" next week and will put on my 6" rockers then, after riding 5+5 the last year. Can't wait to finally see the difference.

I tried to ride 5 front and 6 rear for a while, but 5+5 felt more balanced, I think. Less supple of course, but more balanced, easier to take drops, more stable at speed...can't wait to go 6+6 though :-D

·
Registered
380 Posts
By the way...your ride is just so nice, I looove the white/black combo.
Makes me want a repaint!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jorgen said:
I'll be getting the 2005 Z1 fr 6" next week and will put on my 6" rockers then, after riding 5+5 the last year. Can't wait to finally see the difference.

I tried to ride 5 front and 6 rear for a while, but 5+5 felt more balanced, I think. Less supple of course, but more balanced, easier to take drops, more stable at speed...can't wait to go 6+6 though :-D
cool - I'd like to hear what you think of the Marz Z1 6" fork. I would love that Fox 36 but don't have the cash for that.

yeah, 6+6 sounds awesome!

·
Registered
380 Posts
the 36 is just too much money, I think.

I'll post a review as soon as I get some riding done on it.
Only problem is that we have below 0 celsius these days, but no snow yet, luckily:)

the thing is, it's just for 2005 that the RFX gets to ride with forks made for it! Just shows how long before it's time it was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
High end 8-speed is destined for a comeback. Pretty soon we will have 10 speed rear but 8 speed is cheap, shifts just as good, and the chain never rubs, in any gear. I'm thinking of building up an older hardtail with some 8-speed XTR just for these reasons. Good to see you keeping it on the Turner.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
BadCopNoDonut21 said:
High end 8-speed is destined for a comeback. Pretty soon we will have 10 speed rear but 8 speed is cheap, shifts just as good, and the chain never rubs, in any gear. I'm thinking of building up an older hardtail with some 8-speed XTR just for these reasons. Good to see you keeping it on the Turner.
...I never switched from 8 speed! :p Bought it all up & have enjoyed perfect shifting bliss!!!

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
Sharp.......sharp........sharp

Very slick ride. Just had my 5 Spot repainted white and absolutely love the look. The black swingarm is a killer also :D and works well with the cranks. Congratulations and enjoy.......

Kevin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BadCopNoDonut21 said:
yeah, I love the 8 speed stuff. To be honest I would love to see someone make a 6 speed cassette w/ a 13-32 range and a good 6 speed shifter. I have a Profile 6 speed hub on my DJ bike and love it. No dish!

I feel that 8 speeds is plenty for my type of riding and the riding area. If I can't climb it, I'll push - it's about the same speed anyway...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PoKev said:
Very slick ride. Just had my 5 Spot repainted white and absolutely love the look. The black swingarm is a killer also :D and works well with the cranks. Congratulations and enjoy.......

Kevin
Thanks for the comments! I do dig the white but may change the color sometime next year. With all the black parts it sorta looks like a cop bike. I would love to get it done a tan/khaki color. Gotta love Black and Tan combos!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are those 8" discs in the rear? Is there enough room for that?
I have run 185mm Hope and will get new larger discs for my Avid's(currently 160mm's). I haven't even considered 200+ discs yet. But they seem to fit..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jorgen said:
Are those 8" discs in the rear? Is there enough room for that?
I have run 185mm Hope and will get new larger discs for my Avid's(currently 160mm's). I haven't even considered 200+ discs yet. But they seem to fit..
yup, those are 8" discs in the rear. They fit, but it is tight - maybe 2mm of clearance to the chainstay.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.