Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
35km in the dark sliding about in the mud with crust. Cracking ride

Still a great machine the parkwood, despite the fact I've ridden the whyte way more lately.

·
Void Ab Initio
81 Posts
Does anyone try to run 27.5 + (plus) wheels-tyres?
Is it possible?
I've built mine up as a 27.5+ (Nobby Nic 2.8's on Roval Traverse Rims, 29mm internal) and have been running it that way for about six months. See post #228. I just threw the 29" wheels back on it and will ride it like that for a while, so I really won't know what I like better until I get some time on it with the new set up. The 2.8's fit just fine in the frame but the bottom bracket drop is noticeable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've built mine up as a 27.5+ (Nobby Nic 2.8's on Roval Traverse Rims, 29mm internal) and have been running it that way for about six months. See post #228. I just threw the 29" wheels back on it and will ride it like that for a while, so I really won't know what I like better until I get some time on it with the new set up. The 2.8's fit just fine in the frame but the bottom bracket drop is noticeable.[/QU

Running with 29er forks , or 27.5 + boost ?

·
Land of the 230+
2,552 Posts
I have built three 29er Parkwoods in 27.5+ for myself, my brother, and a buddy we ride with. All three run Nobby Nic 2.8s. One bike has WTB i35s, while the other two have 45mm inner rims. Its tight in the back, but it fits. You need to dish the wheel on the bike to get the tire dead center, since theres only about 3-4mm clearance, but it seems to be enough. I have well over 1000 miles on mine and while it occasionally rubs, I haven't worn the paint off yet. If you ride a lot of mud, this might not be the setup for you, but if its dry, it should be no problem. Of course, you could always run a slightly smaller tire for more clearance if you wanted. The nobby nics measure 2.875 on the 45 inner rim when fully stretched.

FWIW, Mine is easily my favorite ride of the bunch, and sees 90% of my riding time. I love that bike.

·
Void Ab Initio
81 Posts
I've built mine up as a 27.5+ (Nobby Nic 2.8's on Roval Traverse Rims, 29mm internal) and have been running it that way for about six months. See post #228. I just threw the 29" wheels back on it and will ride it like that for a while, so I really won't know what I like better until I get some time on it with the new set up. The 2.8's fit just fine in the frame but the bottom bracket drop is noticeable.[/QU

Running with 29er forks , or 27.5 + boost ?
I'm running a 29er fork - X-Fusion Trace RL2. The front tire has sufficient clearance but it's close. I don't know if I could go up to a 3.0.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is anyone riding their 29ers on trails with chunk rocks, jumps, and drops? I built this up as an "all mountain" 29er. I missed the "trail" frame in the description on the web site. Im just worried about the strength of the frame with that type of terrain. I am starting to ride more aggressive trails, and I hoped this would fit right in.

·
Land of the 230+
2,552 Posts
Is anyone riding their 29ers on trails with chunk rocks, jumps, and drops? I built this up as an "all mountain" 29er. I missed the "trail" frame in the description on the web site. Im just worried about the strength of the frame with that type of terrain. I am starting to ride more aggressive trails, and I hoped this would fit right in.
How much do you weigh? Unless youre a clyde, I think youll be OK, and probably still OK even if you are. The frame seems to be built pretty beefy with gusset plates and thick welds everywhere. Only thing that its missing is a thru axle, but thats not going to make or break it for you. At 240 lbs ride weight, Ive had mine (27.5+) off a few 2' to flat drops without any worry, though that sounds tame by comparison. Personally I think youll get tired of a hard tail before the frame gives up the ghost, but I dont have the same aggressive conditions around here, so I cant say for sure.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Im thinking of selling my size small black and green with head set and green Reba 120, to fund my next build. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
How big of jumps and drops are you doing? lol

241 - 257 of 257 Posts