Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have built up finished yesterday my Parkwood. Winter Mod for In House Training.
The fork is still a cheap model, because I train in the winter in the basement. Besides, I 'm still not sure how much mm travel should I choose.
The seatpost is still exchanged for a Rock Shox Reverb . Just still comes a new saddle and other pedals .

The remaining components :
- Aivee MT3 hubs + spank oozy trail 295 rims
- Shimano XT brakes
- Shimano XT circuit (2x10)
- Sixpack handlebar in Liquid Green
- Sixpack Seatclamp in Liquid Green
- Ritchey WCS Stem

DSC_0497.jpg
IMG_3356.jpg
IMG_3369.jpg
IMG_3374.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg
IMG_3377.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg
P1020785.JPG

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very nice.
I also ordered a green medium one. I will built up with MRP Loop Tr 29 140 mm, Shimano Xt (der, chain , Swifter), Race Face Evolve crank, Dt Swiss M1700 29 wheels.
Also many other components from Reverse

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a shy question regarding the Parkwood custom builds. What is your motivation? I'm asking out of sheer interest.

I made the calculations and in now way could I put together a spec with a total price that would be cheaper than what they ask for at On-One/Planet-X.

Even if I buy second-hand components at half of the original price and just the frame as new it does not make any price advantage. The components will also be half-used. And the factory-matched set will always be more reliable. The only way I could make it more atractive financially is single speed full rigid, but that's beside the point.

So, is it just-for-fun venture or is there something else that I'm missing?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I built mine from a frame only. Only because I had a bike before and swapped most of the parts across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
Personal preferences. Some people like certain brands and levels of parts. Simple as that. Why buy a complete bike then swap the brakes, fork, cassette, wheels, when you can build from frame up exactly how you want it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand that. It's just that I come from road/cx background, and there getting a complete build with really good upper-class second-hand componenets is possible at a price of brand new an entry level bike, or even below that.

Since I wanted to move into MTB for more fun off-road I quickly learned that in MTB everything is way more expesive, even second-hand.

Coming back to Parkwood, I realized the current X5 spec is really a good deal for the money. As for my first mountain bike that suits me just great, I guess I wouldn't upgrade till I ride those parts to death.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a fork, wheels and a 1 x 10 drivetrain that were left redundant after upgrades to my TBLT, and selling them second hand would never have given me what their true value was. So I looked for a frame to hang all the parts off, and have a spare bike that was supposed to be my "messing around "bike.
The Parkwood frame appealed to me, and was very a reasonably price.
My problem is now I'm enjoying the bike way more than I thought I would and have already upgraded the wheels ...
Oi Vey it never ends ..

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a shy question regarding the Parkwood custom builds. What is your motivation? I'm asking out of sheer interest.

I made the calculations and in now way could I put together a spec with a total price that would be cheaper than what they ask for at On-One/Planet-X.

Even if I buy second-hand components at half of the original price and just the frame as new it does not make any price advantage. The components will also be half-used. And the factory-matched set will always be more reliable. The only way I could make it more atractive financially is single speed full rigid, but that's beside the point.

So, is it just-for-fun venture or is there something else that I'm missing?
I can share a bit different perspective on this...I had been looking for a new bike (frame or complete). Decided on a few different frames (Parkwood being one of them, though I ended up buying a different frame, used). While it is likely that I may end up spending more on a custom build (combination of used and new parts), the pros for me are:
- ability to spread the cost over time, rather than save up the $1500 or so
- learn how to assemble a bike from the ground up
- learn more about the components, how they work, how they are adjusted, etc.
- the satisfaction of having built the bike myself
- meet new people: I've talked to lots of people already, both on forums, facebook, and new friends in the local mtb club and from the local bike shops. Most people in mtb are more than happy to offer advice, help, tools, etc. Myself being a fairly new rider (on and off for years now but never a very regular rider), it's nice to get involved and make new friends.
- shopping for parts: while I find it a bit fun to shop around for deals (CL, mtbr/pinkbike classifieds, ebay, websites, LBS), I've also found I'm learning a ton about bikes in general while researching.

For me, I enjoy gaining the new knowledge from going through my first build. I expect I'll struggle at times, but I see it as invaluable experience for the extra cost of a custom build compared to just buying a complete bike.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I had a fork, wheels and a 1 x 10 drivetrain that were left redundant after upgrades to my TBLT, and selling them second hand would never have given me what their true value was. So I looked for a frame to hang all the parts off, and have a spare bike that was supposed to be my "messing around "bike.
The Parkwood frame appealed to me, and was very a reasonably price.
My problem is now I'm enjoying the bike way more than I thought I would and have already upgraded the wheels ...
Oi Vey it never ends ..
I personally wanted to build a lighter bike, with Shimano gear. But if their prebuilt bike suits you go for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I built mine from spare parts and a few new bits. Cheapest but coolest bike I've owned so far.

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have built up finished yesterday my Parkwood. Winter Mod for In House Training.
The fork is still a cheap model, because I train in the winter in the basement. Besides, I 'm still not sure how much mm travel should I choose.
The seatpost is still exchanged for a Rock Shox Reverb . Just still comes a new saddle and other pedals .

The remaining components :
- Aivee MT3 hubs + spank oozy trail 295 rims
- Shimano XT brakes
- Shimano XT circuit (2x10)
- Sixpack handlebar in Liquid Green
- Sixpack Seatclamp in Liquid Green
- Ritchey WCS Stem

View attachment 1040594
[AT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yesterday I got 4 new Parts for my Parkwood.
A Reverb Seatpost, new Fork Decals, a quick release from Hope and a new Chain from KMC.

But first I must clean the Bike. :)

IMG_20160228_091415 (Medium).jpg
20160303105002.jpg
AjTrIziYF8Gm3JOoG2cK4TdsLGtZb7ZJITFHNbglYOiv.jpg
P1030169 (Medium).JPG

201 - 220 of 257 Posts