Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Parking at Cooks to do Joplin/Santiago Truck Trail/Luge - what is "preferred" - of the two for a solo or non-shuttle ride: Ride Live Oak Canyon road then the 5 miles of Trabuco wash, climb Holy Jim then descend down to Modjeska Peak and the Joplin trailhead OR, ride Santiago Canyon Road to Harding Truck trail up to Modjesaka?

What is closer from Cooks - Harding Trk Trl or the Holy Jim?

Been a long while since i've ridden the Santa Anas (or much riding in California, for that matter)

Thanks

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
Harding is still closed from the 2007 fires so that loop is out. Park your car at the Trabuco wash and ride to HJ/Main Divide/Joplin. This route gives you down hill all the way to the car after you get off the Luge. I also like to hop into O'Neil Park at the bridge entrance to add some more dirt riding after exiting the Luge trail. Look for the monastery entrance on right of Live Oak road and go left after the bridge.

I hit this route 3 weeks ago and Joplin is in excellent shape. I imagine after the snow there are some down trees now.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PP,

thanks much. Just one more question/direction. I thought Joplin terminated into old camp and the top of the Santiago TT which then exits somewhere near Cooks corner - but the exit of the Luge is near Trabuco Wash or close?

Thanks again!

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
OK, not to confuse things but you could if you wanted take the Joplin trail all the way back to Trabuco road/wash. This lower section of Joplin was mostly destroyed from the big rains we had 3 years ago and that section is not used much. There is a section that even gets "strange" because you are actually on the Joplin detention center grounds and have to cross a large fenced off area to exit. At that point you will decend a paved road back down to Live Oak road and hang a left over the bridge to your car.

Best route, Joplin turns into Santiago TT about a mile past Old Camp. Take that all the way to down to the flag pole trail, The Luge, and then hang a left on Live Oak road after exiting the Luge. You will not even notice the trail changes from Joplin to Santiago. If you keep your eyes open about a mile from Old Camp you will see 2 truck trails on your left. The first is "shale" trail and the second is Joplin. Both will get you to the bottom of Trabuco if desired.

Trabuco wash entrance is about 2 miles downhill to the left from the Luge trail head exit. If you went right after Luge exit you would ride down hill to Cooks Corner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.