Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to place an order for the Park TS-2 truing stand and wanted to know if I should order the dishing tool as well or will I be fine using the self centering feature of the stand.

Thanks to all that reply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The TS-2 I have was purchased from the shop I was working in at the time and it's pretty good on it's own. Though I do double check with a dishing tool. It's not expensive and a quick and easy second check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i've never trusted the self-centering of any truing stand i've used.

we just got a new ts-2 at work and despite a wheel being indicated as properly dished with a dishing tool the stand told me otherwise.

then later on, with another wheel, also tested with the dishing tool, the stand told me it was just fine.

inconsistent.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
True it this way...

True slightly, as in less than 1/4 turn per nipple, to whatever side you prefer, then remove and flip the wheel 180 degrees. Repeat until done. You'll never be concerned with playing with the adjusting nuts again, or when you're finally done readjust your stand. My preference is to leave the stand the way they end up after a year, 2-3mm off to the left, and just flip the wheel. Always follow up with the gague to be absolutely sure if you're still learning. Usually I use the gague to be absolutely sure it's true, but rarely do it wrong.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
take it off

remove one of the "truing arms"-the metal bit that rubs the rim,and flip the wheel to check dish. all the wheelsmith truing stands were like this(except the big cast var machine in the back).my right eye is dominant so i remove the left arm,works like a charm and dishes wheels perfectly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.