Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Park Tool torque wrench goes up in .4 increments.

So if my stem calls for 5nm, but the reading on the torque goes from 4.8 to 5.2, can you set the torque in the middle of this, or does it have to be set on the white line dial?

Dumb question I know, but I had issues with this wrench yesterday, and stripped two bolts from over tightening.

PT is sending me a new wrench, but I want to make sure I was not using it wrong. I was setting the dial between the two marks and locking it out.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
IDK specifically about the TW-5.2. In similar clicker wrenches I use (Snap-On and Craftsman) the adjustment simply changes preload on a spring in the handle, so clicks mean nothing other than being tactile feedback when changing the setting. You should try the wrench on something non-critical, like a spare bolt and nut through a hole in a piece of scrap or similar to get a feel for how it behaves. Of course, always verify units (N-m vs kgf-m vs ft-lb vs in-lb...) and double check the setting.

The little lever on the ratchet head changes the ratchet direction, and if not fully in either direction, may lock the ratchet. It being locked won't affect torque measurement.

·
Registered
987 Posts
IDK specifically about the TW-5.2. In similar clicker wrenches I use (Snap-On and Craftsman) the adjustment simply changes preload on a spring in the handle, so clicks mean nothing other than being tactile feedback when changing the setting. You should try the wrench on something non-critical, like a spare bolt and nut through a hole in a piece of scrap or similar to get a feel for how it behaves. Of course, always verify units (N-m vs kgf-m vs ft-lb vs in-lb...) and double check the setting.

The little lever on the ratchet head changes the ratchet direction, and if not fully in either direction, may lock the ratchet. It being locked won't affect torque measurement.
I agree...checking the conversions is the first thing I would do too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Were the bolts that you stripped greased threads? Maybe they were over torqued because less friction.

Do you understand how the wrench works -it clicks to notify the user that torque value has been reached. However, you can continue to turn the wrench beyond the click.

In my opinion, 4.8nm will be adequate for the 5nm you are trying to torque down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.