Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey pep's, I need to see what you fellas think.

Right now, I own the 08 Asta, which been really a great ride. Finally had to true my rims and replace a hanger past couple of months ago, but other then that the bike has been great!

So, here is my flaw and I think it is due to the geometry of the bike vs. my new riding style. When I purchased this Asta I was more focus on epic / long distance riding and which it did both comfortable.

But now I been doing much, much more descents and drops off steep inclines, but I feel that the ASTA is trying to keep me more center gravity and it does not feel as safe when descending on steep rocky trails or 3’ – 4’ drops.

I also had a pretty bad fall on a drop-off this past weekend which I felt the bike as it landed did not land very smooth as I pulled and lean back on the bars.

So I am wondering if my riding habits now have pulled me more towards the IGGY frame. I want a bike that puts me more into the cock-pit and lower, but when $hit hits the fan on steeper hills I don’t want to say “Oh CRAP” pull back and already looking at a bad fall. I want to project out of it much smoother. I know that the ASTA limits me due to front travel being only 100mm, so I think IGGY with 120-130mm fox fork would make it sweet ride!

I just have been feeling awkward when descending these days on the more techy trails (Black diamond / double black diamond rated trails). I actually feel like I am in a jeep wrangler (higher center gravity / short wheelbase) which it makes my body not adjust to the more techy trails around here.

So could the IGGY be the cure?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am not a fella, but is there a chance you can rent a DH bike and take it on your favorite trail to try? Sounds like you really need the IGGY now, since your riding style has changed, but the $30 might be worth it to seal the deal.

·
Hail Satin!
248 Posts
Yeah I agree with her. Look around at ALL! the bike shops in you area and see if they are having a *Demo Day*. Lots of times they will have them on the trails or they will set up obsticals in the parking lot. Ride as many bikes as they will let you ride.
But yes park the Asta before you break it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I hate to say it but it sounds more like you are an Atlas guy. I cannot say enough good things about mine. Super versatile and pedals great, now if Ibex would just get around to MAKING THEM AGAIN!

I agree with the above, ride a lot of bikes and see what works best for you. Odds are if you buy a 130mm bike very soon you will wish you bought a 150mm one. I have had both an Iggy and an Atlas. For me it's the Atlas hands down, still very good for the epic but is also awesome for the downhill.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John - Where the heck you been man!

As for the drops it was @ Reimers Ranch , double black diamond rated. never been to these trails ever, but fun as hell! I say one of my favs so far!

Also were looking to hit up Camron this weekend; You game?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
TX_Shifter said:

As for the drops it was @ Reimers Ranch , double black diamond rated. never been to these trails ever, but fun as hell! I say one of my favs so far!

:ihih: Busted by the txjohng man. :eekster:

·
Registered
739 Posts
TX_Shifter said:

hey man, I am out the next few weekends, family/friend in the next 3 weekends....but after that i am game. I am all done with school!!!!!! :)

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlueEyes said:
Walnut has no such drops! Even Endo Valley has been sanitized...

txjohng said:
it does, well not "drops" but there are several areas where you can either get 3-5' (BMX loop) in the air of jumps or if you clear enough distance you can fall 3-5'.
Well let me revise my statement and hope to defend John some :madman: .

Walnut does not have drops in general, but when I mean by drops, I make them DROPS. Which is everything you climb up or using the breaks going down, I jump that stuff. So basically all the trails that has any descend to it, I attempt to jump it and hope to reach the bottom.

John - remember when I first got my Asta and we rode @ "WalNut" that area where I crashed on my 4th jump and busted my helmet? The jump is about 4' right (going up)? Well I go the other way and jump that $hit now :thumbsup: :p

Sorry for misunderstanding to both:)

-------------

S0 back to the subject; IGGY all?

If not, I may prodeal on a Rize carbon, but would love to stay w/ Ibex family

·
Registered
739 Posts
TX_Shifter said:
John - remember when I first got my Asta and we rode @ "WalNut" that area where I crashed on my 4th jump and busted my helmet? The jump is about 4' right (going up)? Well I go the other way and jump that $hit now :thumbsup: :p

Sorry for misunderstanding to both:)

-------------

S0 back to the subject; IGGY all?

If not, I may prodeal on a Rize carbon, but would love to stay w/ Ibex family

YEP - I remember that well. at first it was scary, then hilarious.... I think that it is closer to 4.5 or 5 ...hard to say for sure. I've "jumped" down that a few times too....

As far as IGGY. I got a friend who has an 18" iggy....I know you ride a 16" but maybe he'll let me borrow it to let you test ride it.....

it'd be a few weeks before i can arrange it, and I might just wait to see the new atlas. the iggys are nice, but the atlas are on azonic frames which are nice, nothing against the iggy frames as they are nice as well.

they way i see it:
the asta is mostly a xc bike with a bit of am.
the iggy is mostly a am bike with some xc.
the atlas is a pure am bike. with the iggy you are getting one "step up in toughness"

what r u looking to spend?

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I'd wait and see what the 2009 atlas is going to be looking like. I am also very interested in the Zone AM, but we won't be seeing that for a while yet.
Also the 2009 Iggy has a couple changes if I'm not mistaken.

With all this talk of the Iggy, I've decided to rebuild mine, gearing it more towards being a clyde friendly XC/ light AM bike.
Just ordered a new 2008 Manitou Minute Elite Absolute 120mm for it from Jenson on a sick closeout deal.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK301A02-Manitou+Minute+Elite+Absolute+08.aspx
I went for the 120mm because I want to make the iggy more of a bike that works well for longer rides with lots of climbing. And the 120mm was alot cheaper....LOL
It should balance out real nice with that fork.........and the 20mm TA is a must for super clydes like myself.
Building it up with LX cranks since I recently put SLX's on my BMC. Swapping the Stroker Rydes to the Iggy after I upgrade the BMC to Grey Trails, but for now the iggy will be stuck with Juicy 3's.........= (

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok all.......

I decided to talk the day off and check out some shops that had some AM / freeride bikes.

The thing is majority of the shops here are only selling the frames and the bikes are not complete.
So my test / demo riding was very limited.

I did however did find a Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 (2006 model) that was in the show room that was saying "RIDE ME"

Anyways, I loved it!!!!!!!!! I love the way I sat into the bike. Unlike the Asta (coming home and comparing) I feel like I'm almost completely sitting over the bike saying "Endo soon to come" :)

So anyways,,,, I found some geometry of the Slayer (but newer version from the "oh six" model I rode, but how do you think the IGGY compares to the Slayer 50 by spec's / geometry?

Slayer geometry (I rode the 16.5) :
http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+Slayer_SXC_50.html?BIKE=165&name=Slayer SXC 50#3

Iggy geometry:

http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2009/Geometry/Geo-Ignition.html

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts