Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone use this stand to hold their bike by the seat post? If so; does it hold well enough not to flop the stand over? I am looking at this stand to hold my 28 pound bike when it is not in use. Live in SF don't have a lot of options as I need to keep it in the apartment.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lol

.... It is called a "Stand" right? If a "Stand" could not hold up a bike I am not sure what good the "Stand" would be, probably would not be called a "Stand". It will be just fine for your 28 pound bike.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't laugh, it happend...

TRUE, but guess you never owned a Specialized stand. My last "stand" whatever you want to call it would flop over all the time. I thought it was me until I received a letter from Specialized saying they are recalling that specific stand.

Thanks for the response! Good to know it works as it's intended too!

KCC said:
.... It is called a "Stand" right? If a "Stand" could not hold up a bike I am not sure what good the "Stand" would be, probably would not be called a "Stand". It will be just fine for your 28 pound bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
LJ0913 said:
Anyone use this stand to hold their bike by the seat post? If so; does it hold well enough not to flop the stand over? I am looking at this stand to hold my 28 pound bike when it is not in use. Live in SF don't have a lot of options as I need to keep it in the apartment.

Thanks!
I have the same stand, basically. The biggest difference is that the legs collapse and fold up, making storage/transportation easier. I think its the pks-3 if i recall correctly. Might be nice in your situation to be able to stash it in a closet a little easier. Holds my 38lb gemini fine, though it does lift a leg a little.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perfect!

Thanks for the info!

biggz said:
I have the same stand, basically. The biggest difference is that the legs collapse and fold up, making storage/transportation easier. I think its the pks-3 if i recall correctly. Might be nice in your situation to be able to stash it in a closet a little easier. Holds my 38lb gemini fine, though it does lift a leg a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like mine..

I've owned the same one you have pictured there since last x-mas and have had no problems with it being unstable. Even with it at it highest point and my 29lb full susp rig on it I haven't a problem. My kids have yet to destroy it either...

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
I've got one that I use to work on my mid 30 lb bike, and have had almost no trouble. The only times I've had trouble was when I would take the rear wheel off and leave the front wheel on, it tended to want to tip towards the front wheel side. But that was only when the stand was extended a good height. On my XC bike or my SS bike it has no problems at all. And yes, I hold all the bikes by the seatpost. :p

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...

for the feedback. I just received my 20% coupon from REI, plus I have $38.00 in dividends that I haven't used yet. $150.00 stand, for $90.00 too good to pass up!

jorgemonkey said:
I've got one that I use to work on my mid 30 lb bike, and have had almost no trouble. The only times I've had trouble was when I would take the rear wheel off and leave the front wheel on, it tended to want to tip towards the front wheel side. But that was only when the stand was extended a good height. On my XC bike or my SS bike it has no problems at all. And yes, I hold all the bikes by the seatpost. :p

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
You know, I hate to bring it up (oh, ok, no I don't), but I noticed REI has the Ulitmate BRS-70 repair stand on sale for $109, with is way, way low.

The Ultimate stand is so far superior to the Park it's not even funny -- super stable tripod base, small fold-up size for quick, compact storage, precisely adjustable spinner clamp, full height adjustment range of their "Pro" stand, and 360 clamp rotation.

The key thing is the stability of the base, especially on uneven surfaces. Just do yourself a favor and compare the two side-by-side before plunking down the plastic.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
You know, I hate to bring it up (oh, ok, no I don't), but I noticed REI has the Ulitmate BRS-70 repair stand on sale for $109, with is way, way low.

The Ultimate stand is so far superior to the Park it's not even funny -- super stable tripod base, small fold-up size for quick, compact storage, precisely adjustable spinner clamp, full height adjustment range of their "Pro" stand, and 360 clamp rotation.

The key thing is the stability of the base, especially on uneven surfaces. Just do yourself a favor and compare the two side-by-side before plunking down the plastic.
Speedhub likes the base better on the ultimate but when I had one I felt like I was always tripping over the legs. I also like the clamp better on the park stands. The park legs are plenty stable on a flat surface. If you plan to use it outside a lot you might consider another stand of course.

·
Registered
648 Posts
LJ0913 said:

Thanks!
I have exaclty the same one that you have listed and it's been great. I use it on my FS, and I haven't had problems with it.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
another vote for ultimate....

Speedub.Nate said:

i have to second the vote for the ultimate. great stand for the money and if anything ever goes wrong the company is just fantastic to deal with. i also have one of their bike racks and it's fantastic too. needed a couple pieces of trim for it and they just mailed them out to me, no charge and no questions asked. a big thumbs up for them!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny

the REI Rep tried to talk me into this one too. My only problem is I live in SF, and my GT was stolen out of my garage. I now keep my bike in my apartment, and with the tripod design it is too bulky. I got the Park Tool stand, works well and snugs up close to the wall.

cohenfive said:
i have to second the vote for the ultimate. great stand for the money and if anything ever goes wrong the company is just fantastic to deal with. i also have one of their bike racks and it's fantastic too. needed a couple pieces of trim for it and they just mailed them out to me, no charge and no questions asked. a big thumbs up for them!!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
I have an old (PS-1) Park stand...does just fine holding 30lbs of weight.

I've got to keep my bikes indoors too...I picked up a quad rack from SupeGo that holds bikes well...as long as you evenly stack a side. I squeeze 8 bikes on it. It's another option is space is limited.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.