Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the deal with mountain biking in the Park City area (as of this past Summer season will be fine)? I was recently on a MTB related FB page and they were lambasting Vail Resorts and one SLC resident posted "Vail resorts has ruined mountain biking in Park City". I tried to ask for details that comment but he didn't respond. I took it as meaning Vail Resorts doesn't invest any money in trail maintenance, trial building, etc so the MTB riding has suffered. Or is int even worse that that?

The last time I was in Park City, The Canyons was still in business and had a MTB "terrain" park, Park City and Deer Valley were running lift served MTB riding. Is all of that still going on as of Summer 2020? We're trying to decide where to go this July and there's a few guys that aren't interested if there is no lift access.

·
Registered
Revel Rascal,Scott Spark Rc900 wc
40 Posts
I mean Vail is a large company, so the trails are not as well taken care of. But honestly all the resort trails are blown out mid summer wherever you go. Whoever thinks Vail is the entire problem is wrong. The trails suffered a little but local trail associations help a lot on the non lift access trails.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There are over 400 miles of trails in PC that aren't on Vail property, so many, many, many options still exist. I think the Vail comments are primarily about the lift-served trails at Canyons where Vail has basically stopped catering to bikers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Vail removed the "Canyons Bike Park" a couple years ago, decommissioning or removing some features and (presumably) halting maintenance on those trails. This is likely what the poster was moaning about, based on some narrow definition of "mountain biking". So, within Vail resort properties in Park City, there is no "bike park" style lift-served riding. PCMR still has lift-served riding, but is is more XC and trail riding. No full face required.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Deer still does lift service riding, but they don't have a bike park persae. I can't comment on the park at The Canyons, I never used it. I am mainly a XC rider, so not my thing to launch big gaps.

Reactions: k2rider1964

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm guessing TechniKal and Charcist hit the nail on the head regarding the closure of the Canyons BP, and the sentiment that Vail is ruining mountain biking. While that was definitely a loss for the park crowd, I'd say the rumors of the demise of PC MTB are greatly exaggerated. There is new trail going in every year. Last year's big addition is a trail to connect PCMR and DV at the 9k elevation level. For lift served, DV is legit. It's not Whistler by any means, but they've made a concerted effort (at considerable expense) over the past decade to "modernize" the park by adding Gravity Logic flow trails at each level (green, blue and and black) to the pre-existing network of more old school tech trails. Trail maintenence is not an issue, although weather conditions obviously have a huge impact as already mentioned. There are two professional trail crews that maintain the trails in the area, plus DV does their own trail maintenence within the park. The trail crews here are awesome at clearing blowdowns within days of storms, and deserve props for the work they do.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Deer still does lift service riding, but they don't have a bike park persae. I can't comment on the park at The Canyons, I never used it. I am mainly a XC rider, so not my thing to launch big gaps.
If you're talking Deer VALLEY, they pretty much have a great bike park, and it's getting better every year. Flow trails, jump trails, old-school tech DH, everything in between. It's one of the better parks around IMO. http://cdn.deervalley.com/web/sitecore/maps/SummerTrailMap.pdf

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think the only lift open to bikes @PCMR was Crescent, with a new trail called Silver Queen. DV has been slowly expanding their flow trails and they maintain their singletrack pretty well too; 2020 was an incredibly dry year here, and the trails were super busy all summer. Woodward Park City is new, small & has some lift-served riding.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. There is only a few of us on Team AARP that like the "park" stuff and it's not a deal breaker that they don't have it as we'll get it elsewhere on the trip as we're headed to Montana after Park City. The guys that really want the lifts are in their 60's and remember our last trip there when we rode....and hike a biked...up to the Dead Tree and Apex stuff. It was definitely work but so worth the ride down :)

·
Clyde
260 Posts
Be sure to have goggles available if you ride during a dry spell. I moon dust was the worst I ever came across last year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts