Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PokeyOne
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Utah forum is a little inactive, it's getting very close to book everything time, and I'm starting to panick.

Be there for 5 days, starting morning of the 11th.
Ship my bike with bikeflights or schlep it with me on SouthWest?
It's about the same price.

Shuttle up to Park City, or public transport with their BART and commuter bus?
Schlepping a bike affects this too.

TIA,
GREGORY

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Wasatch Crest Trail

The Utah forum is a little inactive, it's getting very close to book everything time, and I'm starting to panick.

TIA,
GREGORY
Saw your post here. Having lived in Shite Lake Salty for 20 years, the best ride in my opinion is the Wasatch Crest Trail. Not sure how to do it from the PC side, but if you can get a shuttle do it. You are on top of the world there with killer views of the great salt lake. A challenging trail on the Guardsmen's Pass side to the top is known as Puke Hill. But well worth the exertion. Once on top, you have several choices. Normally ridden from Guardsmen's Pass to Mill Creek canyon then down into SLC.
Check w/ bike shops in PC for new routes. Otherwise, great mountain riding all over PC.

Also, be aware of Odd/Even Day rules for this ride.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Utah ex-pat as well. Crest is a must do. Can be accessed from PC via the Pinecone trail or Shadow Lake. Pretty stiff climb either way.
So many good trails in PC it can be a bit overwhelming. Stop at one of the shops and pick up the latest Mountain Trails Foundation map and get some advice. Ridding isn’t typically technical, but expect to climb...a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
We are camping at spruces campground in Big Cotton canyon the following week. I found this great interactive trail conditions map:
Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

I’m going to suffer from living at 87’ Above sea level and not riding enough. If anyone has a good trail for a middle age dad who is out of shape I would appreciate it too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We are camping at spruces campground in Big Cotton canyon the following week. I found this great interactive trail conditions map:

I’m going to suffer from living at 87’ Above sea level and not riding enough. If anyone has a good trail for a middle age dad who is out of shape I would appreciate it too.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

There is nothing in Big Cottonwood Canyon that is easy. Lots of vertical gain for very little enjoyment. It is all up from there. Drive to PC for the day and ride around Round Valley area. There is also the Shore line trail in SLC that is not too demanding.

Also, there is the Tram assist to ride down Snowbird from the top. Never done it, but was completed two years ago.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah, from Spruces there is nothing easy, beautiful spot though. I’d drive to Park City and ride the Round Valley and Flying Dog area trails if you are looking for something a little easier. Shoreline trail in SLC is ok, but will be hot and crowded.

If you can arrange a shuttle to Gaurdsman, you can loop the Crest tail with a descent down Miill D (technical) and the BCC road back to Spruces.

·
I want to ride my bicycle
256 Posts

TIA,
GREGORY
Gregory, I did a trip to Park City last year. See my thread here with my plans and all of the replies. Some highlights were: Wasatch Crest, Flying Dog Loop, and the WoW trail.

I HIGHLY recommend WoW, specifically as a shuttle. It is one of the newest trails near Park City, built with bikes in mind, 45 min to an hour of downhill as a shuttle. Just amazing.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=13730122#poststop

Jeremy

·
PokeyOne
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the trail advice.
I need logistics advice.

Should I ship my bike? If so, to where?
White Pine Touring?

If I fly with my bike, what is the best way to get me and bike up to PC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Utah forum might not be as active but people will respond with good info and trail conditions (most important). I have posted there a few times at for trips and glad I did.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I travel to PC often during the summer and have done both the bike flights and airline schlepping method. When I used bike flights, I would ship my bike to Jan’s (which is connected to White Pines). They would have me ship to their warehouse and it would be built up at the Park Blvd shop. But I would recommend you account for at least 3-4 days from when it is delivered to when you need it, preferably 5, and make sure they know the date you need the bike ready and follow up with them as it arrives. This will end up leaving you without your bike for more than a week from the time Bike Flights picks it up. I have never taken the local train and bus, but have used both private and group shuttles. The group ones are pretty reasonably priced and are accustomed to oversized luggage.

Happy to offer you extensive suggestions on the riding front if you want more intel on trails, but here are a couple tidbits. I would add Mid-Mountain as one with modest climbing (the trail goes up and down and up and down along the middle of the resort) and intermediate level technically which you can take a lift up to and ride as far out as you can return - be aware if you head towards Deer Valley that if you go past Silver Lake Lodge it does go downhill from there. If you want to ride Wasatch Crest there is a shuttle that takes you up (easy to google) or you can take the free public bus most of the way up from downtown PC. I usually climb all the way, but as said before it is no small endeavor and finishes with the infamous Puke Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
Honestly if I was flying, I’d probably just rent a bike. Lots of good quality rentals available at the PC bike shops.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, from Spruces there is nothing easy, beautiful spot though. I’d drive to Park City and ride the Round Valley and Flying Dog area trails if you are looking for something a little easier. Shoreline trail in SLC is ok, but will be hot and crowded.

If you can arrange a shuttle to Gaurdsman, you can loop the Crest tail with a descent down Miill D (technical) and the BCC road back to Spruces.
Awesome thanks I was checking out some way to end at camp, I have skied both the cottonwoods and I know the elevation (gain/loss) is no joke. I rode deer valley many moons ago and one trail I remember quite fondly descended a drainage through aspen like a slalom pre flow type a trail. Wondering if that trail is still around. I am not fit don’t mind technical and suffering a bit.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Just wanted to post back that we did a family ride in Round Valley - a bit exposed and toasty out there, but fun. My son, who is 9, cracked on the slight uphill, roughly 1/2 mile from the parking lot. Full melt down in the dirt, I asked my wife to put him in a pool so my daughter, 13, and I could finish it off. Did rambler sp? and some other trails. Was my daughter's first outing on 29" wheels. The public pool is insanely nice btw, better than any private swim/tennis club out here that I have ever been too. Went to Wasatch brewery at the top of main street, I think it is called, seemed like a nice bang for the buck. Weird alcohol laws still bug me - can't have a draft beer more than 4% but can buy an ipa in a can with more? Guess things are changing but I would advise not arriving to Utah on a Sunday not packing. Didn't have a chance to ride more Wasatch stuff but will be back soon. The drive from PC over Guardsman pass is beautiful and left me yearning for more time there alas we were off to Colorado the following day.

Wouldn't get my real rides in until the following week in Telluride which was awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts