Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm in.

I hope to have better success than last time - when I rode half the race with a broken handlebar. Or the time before that, when I flatted 10 minutes in. Wait a minute - I sort of suck at this race. Why am I doing it again?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I will be riding my classic mountain bike, expecting a classic lower mid pack finish. Not sure why either!
Hopefully this year I won't be bonking when Unglued and 2WD go flying past me and I hope to be able to carry on a short intelligent conversation.
I will definitely save a handful of mud to throw on Capt. Sydor's new bike when he goes flying past me on the road.(his bike will probably still be spotless from him tippytoeing through the woods with it instead of riding it through the mud)

·
I Wanna Be Sedated
764 Posts
Yep, I'll do this again. Not yet sure whether to enjoy the familiarity and comfort of my Epic again, it did a fine job for me last year, or if I should tempt fate with the new-to-me-but-gently-worn CX bike...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
nvandall said:
Who is going in this race this year? I just signed up and Wave2 is already full. Looks like a lot of people are in it this year.:thumbsup:
First time that I will miss it in a few years. I have some other races that I have put on the calendar later in the season and have to offset them with races like this one to keep the PR Department in check. Will miss some of you folks, have a great race!

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Yep. Signed up. Was dismayed to learn that wave 2 was full as of last Friday, so as I do not have a race licence yet, I am in wave 3.

I have done this race every year since 2004, but this year, there will be one critical difference to years past...Yes, that's right folks - I'll be riding this race with gears for the first time ever, courtesy of the woman who hit me while I was riding to work last November and her insurance company. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference whatsoever to my time and my ability to ride up the final hill.

Maybe I should change my signature to "fat guy on Colnago World Cup coming through"

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Jouko said:
Yep, I'll do this again. Not yet sure whether to enjoy the familiarity and comfort of my Epic again, it did a fine job for me last year, or if I should tempt fate with the new-to-me-but-gently-worn CX bike...
I've done the race on both a mountain bike and a cyclocross bike. I had much more fun on the cross bike.

I won't be there this year.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Colnago eh?

must have been a good year... ;)

Unglued said:
Yep. Signed up. Was dismayed to learn that wave 2 was full as of last Friday, so as I do not have a race licence yet, I am in wave 3.

I have done this race every year since 2004, but this year, there will be one critical difference to years past...Yes, that's right folks - I'll be riding this race with gears for the first time ever, courtesy of the woman who hit me while I was riding to work last November and her insurance company. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference whatsoever to my time and my ability to ride up the final hill.

Maybe I should change my signature to "fat guy on Colnago World Cup coming through"

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Last year the HOTN was the weekend before and was a really good lead-in for the mayhem of P2A.

This year the word is that HOTN is the weekend after P2A.

Thus, I'm looking for an alternative. I guess Pelham is an option.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
nspace said:
Is here any disadvantage to being in that wave, or sandbagging aspect to it?
Everyone gets placed according to a chip timing system, so all that counts is how long between you cross the start and cross the finish line. The only thing is that you want to be with people approximately your own speed to take turns taking pulls. My strategy will be to get up to the front of wave 3 so that I can avoid getting caught in traffic off the start. Hopefully, I can find some like-minded individuals (such as yourself if I can keep up) to take pulls with until I catch wave 2.

However, there is a major road that the course crosses about 15km in. They close it completely for wave 1, for wave 2 or 3 they have a police officer who stops traffic every few moments to let riders through, so you may have to wait there a minute or two for traffic to clear. Usually, by that point, I am pretty glad of the rest.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.