Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's coming along (pardon the night time in garage photo quality - I'll get better photos tomorrow):

The cranks and chainrings were in remarkably good condition and cleaned up up very well:

The wheelset is temporary. They're M730 hubs with silver RM-20 rims.

Where did I get them, you ask?

I had to used one of my other bikes (from the same year, as it happens) as a donor:

I guess the arrival knows where it lies in the pecking order. I think I'll have a wheelset soon and I also need to get a saddle. The gel in the Vetta Gel on it has basically died, so it's just hard plastic.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
Ihave some photos you will like

cegrover said:
It's coming along (pardon the night time in garage photo quality - I'll get better photos tomorrow)
I have some photos of Ned Overend on the first of these bikes, a handmade one-of built so Schwinn could have a "race team" (Ned). I'll dig them out and scan them for you.

CK

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I highly recommend getting the '86 Durango Norba Nationals DVD from vdubbusrider . It has lots of shots of Ned on his Paramountain with Charlie narrating :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
kb11 said:
I highly recommend getting the '86 Durango Norba Nationals DVD from vdubbusrider . It has lots of shots of Ned on his Paramountain with Charlie narrating :D
i have just a couple left. if you want one just PM me.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Repack Rider said:
Here is a 1985 photo of Ned Overend's custom made Paramount.
CK: thanks for the post. Could be my computer, but I can't see the photo...

As a side note, I wondered what officially happened to the "MountainBikes" trademark name you and Gary Fisher used for your company in the early 80s. My 1988 Fisher Montare (Japan built) says "Mountain Bikes" (and Montare) on the head tube. As such, I assume that the Fisher company of the late 80s was legally a the direct descendant of your company. Did the Mountain Bikes name eventually go away because its generic use for all such bikes kept it from being an identifier for the brand?

Thanks for your incredible contributions to the sport...though "contribution" doesn't seem like a strong enough word doing so much to help start it all!

Cason

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Paramountain Complete!

I have several photos and detailed specs on a new page dedicated to this bike.

Edit: New Link! Paramountain

I still have some brake setup to do, but all parts are together. The bathroom scale says 24 pounds, which seems pretty light for a large frame. Parts additions/changes since I got it:

1) Rollercams replaced front and rear XT U-brakes
2) Bullseye/Bontrager BCR-1/BCR-2 wheelset
3) NOS IRC GeoClaw Lite 2.1" tires with Torelli tubes
4) NOS Vetta TT saddle replaced dead Vetta Gel
5) Ritchey True grips replaced torn up foam
6) Metal toe clips just like Ned used on his Paramountain in the '86 nationals (thanks for the video inspiration, Sky!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old thread, but I got the Paramountain out today - it had been a while, as the Fat and Crazy Pete have been getting attention lately. It's still a great ride! Pardon the crap phone picture - all I had with me...

Edit: Wow, that photo looks ever worse than I thought. Oh well, it's still VRC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got away from car projects long enough to replace the Paramountain's Bullseye/Bontrager BCR-1/2 wheelset (too new for the bike) with Bontrager-rolled MA40s on Dura Ace hubs. I should have a photo or two soon. I just need proper skewers and I think this one will be almost 100% period correct, minus the likely 90s Vetta TT saddle.

The air impact wrench makes a HUGE difference on freewheels. Those Bullseyes gave me hell five or six years ago when I didn't have air tools! Per other threads here, I can attest that it's hard to get tires onto these rims...

·
Registered
3 Posts
cegrover, nice to see you're still enjoying that paramountain. i remember seeing yours and saying hi... what is it? 7 years ago? wow, time flies. I put a slightly modified 48 spoke shimano hf07 rear wheel on mine. absolutely bomb proof, no survivable pothole in the world can destroy that thing. I just wish it was a larger frame, so to be totally crazy I put bmx handlebars on it. I'd throw some huge Maxxis hookworm tires on it but they don't fit. Keep up the biking.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time does fly! In that time, I moved to Nashville, lived there six years and moved back to Orange County.

I still have the Paramountain and it still has VRC stablemates. Actually, it's the only bike that I had the first time in CA and still own, including the more modern rides. I moved more than that, but sold and also flipped some while in TN.

All of the bikes are 'at rest' now, as we have a one month old daughter. I'll be back in the saddle before too long, as I need to lose 'sympathy weight'...good excuse to get out, anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.