Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've posted this previously as a me-to but there have been a couple noteworthy changes, so i thought i'd throw it out there again...

lugged & silver-brazed goodness! last seen in single-speed dress ~4mos ago, it was stripped and hung on the wall (in order to build up a kona king kahuna frame...tigged ti betterness!) i'd been XCing and campus commuting on it and did so on the kona briefly, but just couldn't get comfortable with locking up my only fat-tire bike in public (and an attention getting ti/reba/disc/carbon bar one at that).

so i raided my own parts box and found a few ebay / craigslist bargains, ending up with a real frankenstein: grip shift/ultegra 1x6 drivetrain (derailleur limited from 1x8), magura hydro rim brakes (cool gaget-factor and $60 for the set!), xc-pro crank w/grease-guard BB (only original parts besides frame/fork), and a completely balls-out purple-anodized ringle stem (matching the paint/decals *perfectly*...$9.99!). Anybody got a matching Moby post in 26.8?

i think it's actually a bit lighter than the kona (w/3.5lb shock), and yes, i really do use it primarily for commuting (it's a lot rougher looking in person). too bad there's no rack eyelets...that would really finish it off. or maybe some fenders...

take that, you vintage freaks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice ride. I remember wanting those Magura brakes SO BAD when I was in college. How do they work in real life? I've never used 'em before.

·
slow
7,796 Posts
dookie said:
...too bad there's no rack eyelets...that would really finish it off. or maybe some fenders...
When it was my only bike, I was commuting on my Paramount Team during the week. I found some Blackburn adapters that would fit into the holes in the rear dropouts so I could install my rack. I then used the center mounting strap on the top/front of the rack and attached it to the fender hole in the bridge between the seat stays. It was very stable. I also ran fenders with that setup by using longer bolts at the dropouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Nice looking PDG.I'm curious about those Maguras myself.How are they holding up?Also,are you running 2.0 Pythons? I have a pair on my RockCombo and they work so well both on-road and off-road.I don't want to use other tires on my bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
answers to various things raised:

the 'commuting' i do is to/from a park & ride and around a major university campus...~5mi/day, with lots of urban 'features' (stairs, curbs, small wall drops, etc.) the pdg is great for the task...not so great for the 32mi (each way) trip to the parking lot (for which i sometimes use an almost as vintage scapin el-os/chorus 8spd road bike).

can't really speak to how they 'hold up', but first impressions are that the magura's are awesome! i bought 'em on a whim, mostly for the geek factor. but i don't think i could have spent much less on a full set of mechanical v's. seller claims they were flushed/bled before the sale.
setup is a bit finicky, but once dialed they feel like hydro discs...silky smooth, great modulation, and extremely powerful. the boosters are absolutely necessary or the brakes just splay out whatever the bosses are attached to (even the cro-mo unicrown).
they were missing some mounting hardware when i got 'em, but magura tech support is great! they sent me everything i need...for free!
only real drawbacks are weight (which is not outrageous) and that the quick-releases don't work very well with boosters installed (maybe an install issue?). in order to remove a wheel i have to deflate the tire. not a big deal for me...only reason i'd be doing so is to change a flat, and probably a good thing on a locked & left commuter to discourage petty wheel theft.

the tires are indeed python 2.0s. ran a 2.3 on the front when i was XCing, which doesn't fit under the brake booster and barely fit in the fork. i'm as crazy about them as you are. at ~50psi they roll great, but still have plenty of bite for any non-pavement i encounter (which when commuting is decidedly not gooey mud). i've run the same tires off-road, and they are excellent as long as it's not too wet.

fyi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.