Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna have a custom frame built soon, so I'm trying to figure out what tensioning method to use....
Paragon sliders seem to be fairly prevalent....but these are one dropout I've not used before.

anybody have any issues with them?

·
3,707 Posts
People have had issues with them slipping and occasional creaking. I'll be testing out Salsa's swing drops this year. So far (with only 24 miles of ride), no problems. A bit more cumbersome to set up than trackends, which is my preferred chain tension set up. But hopefully it'll make up the shortfalls by easier wheel/tire changes.

So, pray tell, who's making this new frame and what are the specs?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,351 Posts
jmw said:
I'm gonna have a custom frame built soon, so I'm trying to figure out what tensioning method to use....
Paragon sliders seem to be fairly prevalent....but these are one dropout I've not used before.

anybody have any issues with them?
Personally if I were getting a new SS frame I'd look really hard at the Black Cat style vertical drop swingers like p nut's got on his Salsa frame. My suggestion is partly based on cosmetics, tho. Ugly is one of my biggest challenges with sliders.

Beyond this, I'd recommend you consider a split shell / pinch bolt EBB (inasmuch as I've owned one for 9 years and it's never given me any trouble whatsoever) but sadly, other lesser types of EBB have soiled the general reputation of all EBBs to such a degree that even the {only} good EBB available suffers by being lumped in with the rest. FWIW, I'd happily invest in another split shell EBB frame, but I also think the swinger dropouts are as good an option (my opinion of swingers is not based on actual experience).

--sParty

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walt will be doing the build.
I've used EBB, trackends, and Black Cat swingers on previous bikes.

The Black Cat is actually my preference, but those new Hunter drops look interesting also.

·
3,707 Posts
How did you like the Black Cat swings? Only gripe I have with the Salsa drops is that to adjust tension, I need 3 different allen keys (if Salsa had made the two bolts on the swinger part the same size, I wouldn't have minded as much).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Walt seemed a bit grumpy about the new Hunter drop outs in the frame forum section. Doesn't mean he won't build with them.

I just saw a photo of an IF from NAHBS that has the Philcentric BB that looks like a winner. Fits lots of crank arms, outboard bearings, 1/4" of throw using two bolts at 15 degree intervals the whole way around and allows frame to be built with "normal" BB and dropouts.

Wish I would have known about it before I went with sliders.
Barry

Attachments

·
3,707 Posts
bad mechanic said:
I'm going to throw the FC EBB in here. It's about as solid as they come, with zero issues. You simply don't hear anyone complaining about theirs.
There are compromises with every product, and FC EBB is no exception. I know of at least two people with complaints against that product. And that's just here at MTBR.

·
3,707 Posts
bad mechanic said:
I can't find the threads now (of course :rolleyes: ). I wasn't implying that there are major problems with FCEBB, but from what I can recall, there were some issues. The main complaint was with the set up, which is more cumbersome than a standard EBB, sliders, or track ends. The very short throw means you'll be limited to certain gear ratio's and/or using half-links (which I am not fond of. I like being able to switch from say a 20 to 21/22T without having to use a chain break. Others may not care). The crank alignment may also take a lot of practice, which could result in going through a few bearings. Set screws may be hard to reach. There are also limitations on the BB size of the frame and cranks (ext. bearing only. Also may need to do some grinding for it to fit).

I haven't read of any failures of the unit itself and it seems like a pretty stout product. However, I just wanted to make sure that the OP knew that no product has "zero issues", including this one. :)

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Split shell bb designed to fit a phil wood half link ebb would get my vote for a custom frame. Seems a little silly using something like the FC or even PW ebb's for standard frames on a custom.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm having a frame built up right now. I have had good luck with paragon sliders, and so have all my friends...steel and titanium. But alas...the builder talked me into a Splitshell EBB...I was apprehensive about it at first, but now I'm set, and excited about it. I don't have experience with it yet...but just figured I'd tell you I went with the EBB after going through the same process as you.

I wanted Black Cats....got talked out of those back to my trusted Paragon Sliders....then got talked out of those to the EBB.

This is the first time I've seen the Paragon Rockers or Hunter Dropouts....still sold on the splitshell EBB.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,351 Posts
gearwhine said:
I'm having a frame built up right now. I have had good luck with paragon sliders, and so have all my friends...steel and titanium. But alas...the builder talked me into a Splitshell EBB...I was apprehensive about it at first, but now I'm set, and excited about it. I don't have experience with it yet...but just figured I'd tell you I went with the EBB after going through the same process as you.

I wanted Black Cats....got talked out of those back to my trusted Paragon Sliders....then got talked out of those to the EBB.

This is the first time I've seen the Paragon Rockers or Hunter Dropouts....still sold on the splitshell EBB.
I hope your new frame is being constructed out of steel, not ti. Ti and EBBs... not sure it's a good combination.

--sParty

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Sparticus said:
I hope your new frame is being constructed out of steel, not ti. Ti and EBBs... not sure it's a good combination.

--sParty
The titanium Singular Pegasus has the option of a split shell ebb. Doubt there'd be much feedback on them so far, as I think they're still relatively new. All I know is I want one.

https://flic.kr/p/4079461257

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.