Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

My 2008 GF Paragon (size M) has an X-9 top pull front mech. With my current setup (a 44-32-22) crankset, I have to mount the front mech just above the lower bottle cage bolt. This way, I have about 2-3mm's of space between the derailer cage and the big ring, which is about right.

In the future, I'd like to mount smaller rings, but... then the clamp of my current mech would be ON the bottle cage mount, probably damaging it and surely making it impossible to mount a cage, which I do not prefer.

I am not going to solve it by leaving the mech where it is now: Too much experience with chains jumping off the big ring and through the gap between the ring and the cage. Besides that, shifting would suffer, especially with a dual ring setup like 40-26 or something similar.

I tried a top swing Shimano LX mech. Offcourse that clamp clears the bottle cage mount, but the swing mechanism hits my rear tire... It sits between the seat tube and the tire and there's not enough room there. Not with the Crow tire I had on there and certainly not with the 2.25" Racing Ralph I have now!

So... anyone with bright ideas about how to solve this or a proven combination? Leave out the "go single ring" or "try singlespeed" please.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's what Wadaminute said. I going to check them out.

The cage might clear the tire, but the swing mechanism of the SLX (the rotating part the cable is attatched to) is still partly between the rear tire and the seat tube, I notice. There's only 15-20mm's of room there, so it might still not work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.