Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any 29er owners post up on sizing?

I just snagged a 17.5 off ebay and am worried it's going to be too large. I generally ride about a 16/17" frame. I wasn't thinking when I looked at the size, and forgot about the longer TT length.

Anyways, just some comments from people about 5'6 or riding a 17.5 frame would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
How did i get here
23 Posts
amillion3 said:
Can any 29er owners post up on sizing?

I just snagged a 17.5 off ebay and am worried it's going to be too large. I generally ride about a 16/17" frame. I wasn't thinking when I looked at the size, and forgot about the longer TT length.

Anyways, just some comments from people about 5'6 or riding a 17.5 frame would be helpful.

Thanks!
I ride a 17.5 xcal... 5ft 10in tall 32 inseam it will probly be a litte big on you but doable my gf who is about your height can ride my bike with little problem but the reach is a litte far for her liking

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep in mind too that GF geo, or at least the G2 on my 08 Cobia, come with a short stem and a bar with a lot of sweep back. So that made my 19 feel like a very small bike more like my old undersized 17in hardtail- so until I got a longer stem and normal bar it felt very small even with a longer tt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These posts give me promise yet!

I have some Luv Handles en route to my house, so I'm hoping either the stock bars or Luv Handles will shorten up the reach for me.

I'll report back with my findings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a small (15.5) 08 Paragon. I am 5' 6" with a 29" inseam. The bike fits me very well. I love the bike/fit on the tight technical trails here in upstate NY. I did not ride the bigger frame since this one felt so good at the demo day that I attended last fall. That said, I would not be surprised if the bigger bike also worked - specially if you prefer a more stretched out riding position.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I'm 5' 8", and I recently bought a 17.5" HiFi 29er via eBay. I like the bike, and it handles very but I sort of wish I could saw off some of that longer top-tube. I've my seat all the way forward, and still I find myself sliding forward on the seat when I ride. This weekend I'm swapping in a 50mm stem and some riser bars, in the hopes that the drastically shorter stem will allow me to move the seat back to a more centered position.

I like the G2 fork offset, and the way that the bike handles. But I am not a fan of that longer top-tube business. Next year, I'm going to save up and see about moving to a more normal frame.

My advice though: just try the bike when it arrives. Don't sweat anything until you've given it a try.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't taken it for a real ride yet. It fits on the bigger side for sure though :/ I'll probably ride it until I find a buyer and then unload it.

Anyone looking for a 17.5 Paragon?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm debating on what size to get as well. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. I have a longer upper body and shorter legs. I ride a 56cm road bike. I have a 17.5 on order, do you think its large enough or should I get the 19?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
baxtr said:
I'm debating on what size to get as well. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. I have a longer upper body and shorter legs. I ride a 56cm road bike. I have a 17.5 on order, do you think its large enough or should I get the 19?
I'm roughly the same size and proportion as you and I preferred the 19. If you were to swap the bars and stem like a previous poster said, you might be able to pull off a 17.5. I would really try to find someplace that has one in stock to ride first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did some more accurate measurements and used the competitive cyclist fit calculator.

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 32.25
Trunk: 25.6
Forearm: 13.25
Arm: 22
Thigh: 24.5
Lower Leg: 21.75
Sternal Notch: 58.5
Total Body Height: 71

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
I am 5'11" and thought the 17.5 was a bit too compact. I did not try it with "normal bars".

The TT is not is not terribly long at 60cm (23.5").
The 19" has a 24.5" TT which is what I was used to on my old XC bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I finally got a quick ride on the 17.5. It's a bit bigger than I care for, and I imagine a 15.5" would be spot on for me.

But, even though it's larger than I would ideally choose, it still feels good in between my legs. It's quick and it feels great in my hands. First ride on a 29er, but so far I like it. Hopefully I can get out to my favorite local trail to compare it with my 26".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.