Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

421 - 440 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey all - just got my frame - it's a beauty!

Going to start my build as soon as I can ,but I had a quick question: What rear brake mount do I need for this? I am going to run SRAM Guides (at least to start.. since i have some new ones to throw on) with 180mm rotor in rear. It looks like i need an adapter to mount. I had incorrectly assumed that this would be included with the frame. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Banshee Paradox V3 frame is on the way. Dealer says it has 'IS" brake tabs (they just emailed me back on this). I want to install a 180 rear rotor. He says "For a 180mm rotor, you will need an IS180 REAR adapter". I am interpreting that as a "+40mm IS adapter". The frame has IS tabs and my SRAM G2 RS caliper is post mount. I am going to buy either one the following.

Avid/ SRAM 40mm IS Disc Brake Adaptor Fits 200mm Front and 180mm Rear

Shimano calls it a "180mm IS disc brake adapter, rear" aka
SM-MA-R180, IS/Post Rear - SHI0108-RES180-ISFR

From the link below: 180mm rear rotor: +40 adapter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Just wanna share my newly built Paradox V3 L size. I am 5'8 and from Malaysia. Opted for L since I'm more comfortable on it. Currently riding a large 2015 Rune V2 and a medium 2015 Legend MK3.
The specs:
Handlebar Funn Fatboy 31.8
Headset Banshee
Stem Fifty-Fifty 35mm length
Grips Fifty-Fifty
Fork Rockshox Pike Ultimate 130mm
Pedals Spank Spoon 110
Brakes Deore M6000
Disc front Ice Tech 180mm
Disc rear Hope 160mm
Shifter XT 12spd
Crankset 170mm XT 12spd
Rear Derailleur XT 12spd
Chain 12spd Shimano
Cassette XT 12spd 51t
Saddle WTB Volt
Dropper PNW Rainier
Dropper lever PNW
Tyre front Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35
Tyre rear Vee Tire Flow RCP 2.35
Rim ZTR Flow Ex3 29"
Hubs Hope Pro 4 Boost
Spokes DT Comp
Built weight: 13.26kg

Tested last Sunday and it is super nice. This is my first time on a 29er but I don't feel like that it is a 29" bike. Felt roomy and easy to attack the trails. Trail feedback is muted but not on the really technical bits. Climbing is easy with a 32t chainring paired with XT 12spd 51t cogset. Hopefully I can do ride video on it and share with you guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, that's a big rig! Very nice. I'm 5'8"-5'-9" as well, just received a M frame, no building yet. There are a lot of tall riders 6ft + on L-XL that have posted here. I am building as a 27.5 wide (not plus) with a 130mm fork. The fork is 537 axle to crown and banshee's specs measure with a 550mm a/c (322mm BB height). With the 27.5 my BB could be very low at ~295mm (under 12 inches). I am a bit concerned for crank bashing and pedal strikes, but have 165mm cranks. There have been complaints about low BB. I would be interested to know your a/c measurement, crank length and bb height. My fork can also run 29er so I may switch wheel size.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Built mine up and just pedaled around the yard so far. Lots of parts that were taken off other bikes , but I wanted this to be a “budget build”.

Size XL ( I am 6ft 1”) with 210 dropper. Seems slightly too tall but haven’t pedaled enough to see. Max insertion

Attachments

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,317 Posts
6'2" and a large (160mm dropper). The reach was slightly longer than I wanted on the XL. I could have really gone either way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
First ride impressions:

Coming from a 170/150mm, heavily modified Levo SL (0.5 ebike ;) and other FS bikes before that, I wanted to switch things up with an aggressive hardtail.

My build was meant to be budget, using parts that I had on hand mostly:
Frame - XL
Fork - Fox 34 Rhythm 150mm, 51mm
Wheels - Specialized Roval Traverse 30mm (aluminum and heavy)
Tires - Vittoria Agarro 2.6/2.3 F/R
Derailleur/Shifter/Cassette - SRAM NX
Chainring - Oneup Oval 32t
Cranks - Shimano XT M8000
Brakes - SRAM Guide R
Handlebars - Specialized 780mm w/35mm Stem
Dropper - Oneup V2.1 210mm

Fit (6’1 ~ 33” inseam) - bike feelks great. I may add 5-10mm of spacers as even with the high stack, I feel like it could be higher. STA is nice. The 210mm is maybe 5mm too high, but it’s not too bad. I was surprised that I coudln’t slam the dropper all the way into the collar. I was suprised that this bike felt smaller than my XL Levo SL with the longer. On paper it’s a bigger bike with longer reach and higher stack, but with slightly shorter ETT due to the steeper seat angle. I think it’s partially due to me running a shorter stem and smaller bars on the V3 (800mm/45mm on the Levo SL). I actually measure the HTA (static) at ~ 63.5 deg, which seems a bit off. I was using a digital inclinometer; so it may be do to the added A2C on the fork.

Initial Ride: Obviously, this is way different coming from an aggressive, coil sprung FS. You can tell this bike wants to “go”, but it will take some getting used to. I have an insert (Tannus Tubeless armor) to put in the rear and should be able to drop tire pressure a bit, which will smooth things out. Pedaling is direct (duh), and I was surprised that the bike didn’t get as hung up as I expected on square edge chunk. The steep ESTA and actual STA is really nice and places you in a great pedaling position.

The bike needs to be ridden aggressively on the downs. This feels quicker steering than my SL - probably due to the 51mm offset and shorter stem. I am going to have to get used to the shorter rear end as well. I am not that great at manuals or bunny hops, but I was surprised that this felt harder than my 40lb SL. I think raising the bars a bit will help there as will getting used to the bike.

Overally it’s going to be a nice switch up to ride and improve skills on. I think as I get used to it I will be able to take it on all but the most aggressive trails that I ride (albeit at a slower pace).

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a handful of rides on my new Paradox I thought I’d share some initial riding impressions. I originally got it to replace a Canfield Nimble 9, which I’ve ridden for the past couple years both geared and as a singlespeed, with 27.5+ and 29” wheels. Despite loving the N9 (and one I had before that), I was itching for something different. I got my Large raw frame and Bike Yoke Revive 160mm seatpost from Dirt Merchant Bicycles, who had everything sitting on my doorstep in less than a week. Thanks, Ethan!

First off, the raw frame is stunning. Beautiful welds, stout hydroformed tubing, precisely machined yokes/dropouts and just the right tint to the clearcoat. I expected it to look good from the photos, but seeing it in person is even better. I’ve built my bike up with parts mostly from my Canfield – X01 11sp drivetrain, Guide RSC brakes, Fox 34 130mm fork, I9 101/Flow MK3 29” wheels (new), Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 tires (new), Race Face cockpit. Weight is around 26.5lb. ready to roll with pedals.

To this point, I’ve been riding it on rolling PNW singletrack, which has included a reasonably technical mix of roots, rounded rocks, punchy climbs/decents and grippy hero dirt. I haven’t yet had it on anything terribly steep or uber-tech, but that will happen.

On the terrain I’ve ridden so far, it’s immediately obvious how responsive the Paradox is - just think and it goes. The front end immediately responds to steering or weighting input and the bike jumps the moment you apply any pressure to the pedals. It’s makes climbing a breeze, between putting the power down effectively and being able to manueuver over climbing obstacles with instant response to your inputs. I was originally a little leery of the 65 degree head angle (mine’s closer to 65.6 with a 130mm fork), but the bike’s geo has been spot on. It has remained composed on everything I’ve thrown at it so far. The front end doesn’t wander on climbs, yet is stuck while cornering, the rear tracks well on descents, and the bike remains stable as speeds climb.

Comfort-wise, you do pay a price for all that responsiveness. While I expect the Paradox is indeed more compliant than other aluminum AM hardtails, it’s still aluminum and rides like it. Coming off a series of steel hardtails (Canfields, Konas, Transition, Salsa, etc.), this was immediately noticeable and no amount of riding will change that. It’s just has a different feel with its own special character. Not bad, just different. After a few rides, my muscle memory has adapted and the Paradox is my new normal. Do I miss the feel of steel? Yeah, a little. But do I enjoy the improved geo, responsiveness, capability and speed of the Paradox? Absolutely.

So that’s my experience with a few rides under my belt. I’m really liking the Paradox and looking forward to logging more miles with it in the coming months.

View attachment 1281179
Nice review, may I ask what your height is?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up my frame on Thursday and got it built up over the last couple nights. I ended up replacing a few more things that I hadn't planned on, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The only stuff I reused was the wheel set, fork, bars and brakes.

• Large yellow Paradox
  • 150mm Yari, 51 offset
  • Raceface 50mm stem
  • Renthal 40mm rise bars
  • BR-MT520 4 piston brakes 180/160
  • 170mm One Up dropper
  • Raceface 170mm Aeffect crank and BB
  • GX Eagle shifter/derailer
  • NX cassette due to the Shimano hubs
  • 27.5x2.8 Minion DHF
  • 27.5x2.8 Minion DHR II
  • And a sweet Chromag saddle

I'm 6'3" and still chose the large. Looking at the geo chart I'm right at the top. My Big Honzo was an XL with 510 reach and I felt every bit of that length. My full suspension ride is a Fezzari La Sal Peak and the Kona felt longer than that does. So I wanted something a little shorter and more playful for my hardtail. It's dumped 4 or 5 inches of rain here in the PNW the last 48 hours so I'll wait a few days for a proper ride. However, I'm already digging the feel so far just around the house. Here's a few pics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What is your inseam length if I may ask. I just checked with Banshee and they advised me a size XL. I am 6'1" tall and inseam length 2'95". How do you like the size small in the longer run?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
What is your inseam length if I may ask. I just checked with Banshee and they advised me a size XL. I am 6'1" tall and inseam length 2'95". How do you like the size small in the longer run?

Thanks
FWIW I’m 6’1 and very happy on a large with a 40mm stem. Manuals much easier then my Large Prime.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Thanks
Not directed at me, but I like my XL (6'1 , 33in seam) with a 150mm fork and 35mm stem. I do tend to slide the seat fwd on the rails, but that's just preference. Feels "smaller" and more maneuverable than my XL Levo SL (~480mm reach, 170mm fork)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Kind of a noob question - I cannot build a bike, so with a local shop that can build it for me, can they get component discounts? Or would a build cost me an arm and a leg since I cannot do it myself or have a lead on components?

Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kind of a noob question - I cannot build a bike, so with a local shop that can build it for me, can they get component discounts? Or would a build cost me an arm and a leg since I cannot do it myself or have a lead on components?

Thanks.
Components are expensive al a carte regardless of if you or your shop source them. Only difference price wise between the shop building it, or you building it would be whatever they charge for labor.
That said, a good shop may have some components in their used parts bin they could sell at a discount, but parts are hard to source for everyone right now so deals are scarce. It’s always cheaper to buy a complete bike if you can.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,317 Posts
Agreed, talking with friends who work at shops.. I was very lucky to have found what I did, and doubly so at the prices I did.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Components are expensive al a carte regardless of if you or your shop source them. Only difference price wise between the shop building it, or you building it would be whatever they charge for labor.
That said, a good shop may have some components in their used parts bin they could sell at a discount, but parts are hard to source for everyone right now so deals are scarce. It’s always cheaper to buy a complete bike if you can.
Thanks. Too bad Banshee is not offering this in a complete bike.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks. Too bad Banshee is not offering this in a complete bike.
Banshee probably can’t find parts either.
I found a good price on a gently used bike, stripped the parts and hung them all on my paradox, then I sold the used frame. Came out way cheaper then buying each part individually. Just be sure all the parts will fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the process of building my V3. I intended on running 29er.

In terms of maximum tire sizes, Banshee says 29x2.6 maxxis is the limit of the frame. Does anyone know if that is on 30mm or 35mm internal width rims?

I am trying to decide on spank 350 or 395+, possibly just XM481 which in 27.5 have held up for me incredibly well on my Bronson3. Tires wise I was going to use aggressor 2.5 or Rekon 2.6, which both work well for rear tires in my area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm on an XL with 29" wheels. Hope Fortus 30s. I'm running Bontrager XR4 tyres 2.6" front and 2.4 rear.

The bike is superb and I certainly don't want for agility or anything else for that matter. Of course your preferences may vary.

Either way, you've landed on the right hardtail.
What is your heigth and inseam length please? Don't if i should get an L or XL frame

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the process of building my V3. I intended on running 29er.

In terms of maximum tire sizes, Banshee says 29x2.6 maxxis is the limit of the frame. Does anyone know if that is on 30mm or 35mm internal width rims?

I am trying to decide on spank 350 or 395+, possibly just XM481 which in 27.5 have held up for me incredibly well on my Bronson3. Tires wise I was going to use aggressor 2.5 or Rekon 2.6, which both work well for rear tires in my area.
I’m running a 2.5 Aggressor on 30mm Bonty rim in the back.
I’m also running a 2.4 DHR2 on a Spank395+ rim (35mm inner)

Both these Maxxis tyres fit well. I did try a 2.6 Scwalbe Hans Dampf but it didn’t leave a enough clearance for mud.

421 - 440 of 446 Posts