Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

401 - 420 of 445 Posts

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
Great to finally see some pictures of the new green colour.
Maybe when I see some better pictures in bright sunshine the colour will grow on me. .........
Would you say that the pictures are a fair representation of the colour compared to in-person?

Cheers :)
The green looks the same in the sun to me, same green as Pivot Switchblade I think.
Maybe you could switch out for a polished frame if your shop pre-ordered one, I think it is definitely the best looking finish of the three, if I didn't have a Phantom I would have went polished for sure .But I like the Green a lot too

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to those who commented after my last post - as a 'newbie' around here I really appreciate it.

At the moment my local bike shop has some polished frames coming in on the same shipment as my green frame but I believe they are already reserved so I probably don't have the option to switch. I definitely need to see it in person before I make my mind up though.

Build-wise everything (other than the frame) will be silver / grey or black with silver Pike Ultimates, black & silver reverb, black & grey X01, silver Hope T3's, platinum stem and black bars from Deity so it should be pretty neutral.

I still think that the frame maybe needs a silver / grey graphic on the downtube to break up all that green - maybe i'll try and do a basic photoshop.

Also, does anyone know of a supplier who sells a frame protection film kit for an XL V3? Invisiframe are favourite here in the UK but they don't do a kit for this bike and wont do a custom kit either.

Thanks.

·
So Cal Slayin'
138 Posts
Just got my frame in a few days ago and started building it up tonight. Still amazed at how good the raw finish looks in person. Will post up final build specs and pics in a couple of days when I have a chance to finish building it. Coming from my Ibis DV9 hardtail, I think I will prefer the more aggressive geometry of this frame for my change of pace bike.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey all

Just ordered a green XL Frame to build out! Pretty pumped to add a aggressive HT to the mix as I generally ride a 170/150mm FS for pretty much everything.

I am going to build with parts that I have on hand for the most part, but I had a few questions after going through this thread. Thanks in advanced for any suggestions!

1) Are most running this as a 29er or 650b? Or are mullets popular? I may experiment as I have a nice SC Reserve (37mm) 650b wheelset as well as a heavier 29 (30mm) wheelset. The 650b seems like it may be a tad bit low on the BB height, but I am more used to FS BB with have sag to account for as well.

2) Anything special to know about the Bottom bracket options? This is not going to be a bling build, and was looking at this to match with some older XT m8000 cranks that I have: https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT-BB-MT800-Bottom-Bracket

3) Does the frame come with a seat post clamp? If not, what are you guys using?

Excited to get this thing built!

·
Birding Mtb'er
52 Posts
Hey jcmonty, congrats! I think I've seen a couple mullets in here, but otherwise it's a pretty good mix. I'm running 29" with 30mm rims on an XL frame. For the BB, which is just about the same height as my old HT, I just went with XT, since it came with my groupset. When it wears out I might look at something else, like Wheels Manufacturing. Frames do come with post clamp, along with headset (cups pressed in) and axle, and mine came with a few extra bits like touch-up paint and zip ties.

Hey jph98, I totally understand about feeling a little buyer's remorse, but I think there is a good chance that when you see it in person it will be better than you thought. These frames look bad-ass in hand, and when you start putting parts on and making it uniquely yours, even moreso. Keep us updated!

KgB, nice job and cute dog! Looks like a beautiful place to ride. Utah?

·
Birding Mtb'er
52 Posts
Comparison with old school

Not sure if anyone else will find this interesting, but coming from an old school frame I was curious to see the differences of the Paradox side by side with my other bike.

Other is 2010 Jamis Exile II 29er, size 21" (about the largest available back then)
72/74 head/seat angle, 100mm RockShox Tora Solo Air, 1071mm wheelbase, 120mm stem, 600mm bar.

Paradox is XL, 130mm fork, 50mm stem, 1254mm wheelbase I believe.

I took the bars off for this, since bikes apparently don't like to sit up next to each other very well otherwise and kept getting all tangled. I lined them up at the bottom brackets, but obviously it's not a perfect comparison, like with camera angles and such, but gives a bit of an idea of how some of the frame numbers translate.

The Banshee's chainstay length is slightly shorter than the Jamis's, but you can really see how much farther out the front wheel is with that longer reach and slacker head angle. Also of note is the seat tube angle and position.

Anyway, just thought this was kind of cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure if anyone else will find this interesting, but coming from an old school frame I was curious to see the differences of the Paradox side by side with my other bike.

Other is 2010 Jamis Exile II 29er, size 21" (about the largest available back then)
72/74 head/seat angle, 100mm RockShox Tora Solo Air, 1071mm wheelbase, 120mm stem, 600mm bar.

Paradox is XL, 130mm fork, 50mm stem, 1254mm wheelbase I believe.

I took the bars off for this, since bikes apparently don't like to sit up next to each other very well otherwise and kept getting all tangled. I lined them up at the bottom brackets, but obviously it's not a perfect comparison, like with camera angles and such, but gives a bit of an idea of how some of the frame numbers translate.

The Banshee's chainstay length is slightly shorter than the Jamis's, but you can really see how much farther out the front wheel is with that longer reach and slacker head angle. Also of note is the seat tube angle and position.

Anyway, just thought this was kind of cool.
Cool visualization of how things have changed. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Community, I am new here and have just recently bought a new Paradox V3 frame in XL. As I am still indecisive on some parts, I could really use your help and experience in narrowing things down a little bit more.
I am quite tall (6 ft 3" / 195cm) and haven't owned a hardtail before. Specialized's Enduro was my weapon of choice for many years.

Here's what I already own and definitely want to mount on to the bike:

-Vecnum Nivo 212mm
-Shimano XT 1x12 drivetrain (no cranks so far)
-Nukeproof Horizon V2 Wheels 29"
-Magura MT5 brakes
-Hope Stem 50mm

Perhaps you can assist concerning the following questions:

1.) Regarding fork travel: I definitely want to go for 140 or 150mm, but this is actually quite a tough call to make. I would like to ride the bike on "normal flowtrails" but also hammer it down technical descents - as I have read throughout this thread, the descending capabilities of this bike seem to be over the moon! Of course I would love to push it to it's limit.. well, if I can ; )
Maybe some riders with 140mm/150mm can give some insights on how they think the bike rides and whether they would want to change anything within their current setup. It would be also great to know in which way the fork offset affects the ride.. As of now I would go for a 42mm offset but I have never ridden such a fork before (previously only 51mm).

2.) Regarding crank length: On my previous FS bikes I always had 175mm cranks and couldn't be happier. As I have an inseam of about 94cm, I never questioned the length and always went for the longest version. However, with the quite low BB and some riders already mentioning "pedal strokes" as one minor concern, I would like hear your thoughts on this? Do you think 170mm is more suitable for a hardtail in general or should I stay with what I always went previously? It would be great to get some insights on 170 vs 175mm.

3.) Side Topic: I would love to go for Hope cranks in combination with my 1x12 M8100 Shimano drivetrain. Does anyone have any experience with Hope cranks and chainrings in general? Or maybe even more specific: Are Hope chainrings a good choice in terms of Shimano's new Hyperglide+ standard? There is no information on this in other blogs/forums and I thought that I'll give a try here.
Also: What are the experiences of 1x12 XT riders? How does the whole drivetrain (incl. XT cranks and the suitable BB) work overall?

Again, I would highly appreciate your input on these questions and want to thank you in advance for your expertise!
Can't wait to start building it up!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey Community, I am new here and have just recently bought a new Paradox V3 frame in XL. As I am still indecisive on some parts, I could really use your help and experience in narrowing things down a little bit more.
I am quite tall (6 ft 3" / 195cm) and haven't owned a hardtail before. Specialized's Enduro was my weapon of choice for many years.

Here's what I already own and definitely want to mount on to the bike:

-Vecnum Nivo 212mm
-Shimano XT 1x12 drivetrain (no cranks so far)
-Nukeproof Horizon V2 Wheels 29"
-Magura MT5 brakes
-Hope Stem 50mm

Perhaps you can assist concerning the following questions:

1.) Regarding fork travel: I definitely want to go for 140 or 150mm, but this is actually quite a tough call to make. I would like to ride the bike on "normal flowtrails" but also hammer it down technical descents - as I have read throughout this thread, the descending capabilities of this bike seem to be over the moon! Of course I would love to push it to it's limit.. well, if I can ; )
Maybe some riders with 140mm/150mm can give some insights on how they think the bike rides and whether they would want to change anything within their current setup. It would be also great to know in which way the fork offset affects the ride.. As of now I would go for a 42mm offset but I have never ridden such a fork before (previously only 51mm).

2.) Regarding crank length: On my previous FS bikes I always had 175mm cranks and couldn't be happier. As I have an inseam of about 94cm, I never questioned the length and always went for the longest version. However, with the quite low BB and some riders already mentioning "pedal strokes" as one minor concern, I would like hear your thoughts on this? Do you think 170mm is more suitable for a hardtail in general or should I stay with what I always went previously? It would be great to get some insights on 170 vs 175mm.

3.) Side Topic: I would love to go for Hope cranks in combination with my 1x12 M8100 Shimano drivetrain. Does anyone have any experience with Hope cranks and chainrings in general? Or maybe even more specific: Are Hope chainrings a good choice in terms of Shimano's new Hyperglide+ standard? There is no information on this in other blogs/forums and I thought that I'll give a try here.
Also: What are the experiences of 1x12 XT riders? How does the whole drivetrain (incl. XT cranks and the suitable BB) work overall?

Again, I would highly appreciate your input on these questions and want to thank you in advance for your expertise!
Can't wait to start building it up!
Congrats on the Paradox!
What fork are you running? I'm running 130 because I have a Prime for bigger days. With most forks going from 140-150 is an hour job, and a $50 air shaft. If you want to bomb I'd go 150 and if it suffers on the climbs back off to 140.

Pedal strikes aren't a problem on 175cranks for me. with 140-150 up front I doubt you'll have issues unless you run it as a mullet.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,300 Posts
A pair of 3mm spacers sorts it well :) I've done this with more than just this bike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on the Paradox!
What fork are you running? I'm running 130 because I have a Prime for bigger days. With most forks going from 140-150 is an hour job, and a $50 air shaft. If you want to bomb I'd go 150 and if it suffers on the climbs back off to 140.

Pedal strikes aren't a problem on 175cranks for me. with 140-150 up front I doubt you'll have issues unless you run it as a mullet.
Great, thanks for these insights. Do you by any instance know what the max. chainring size for the Paradox is?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Lezyne Flow SL bottle cage (the side access one) which is mounted to the minipump mount and then directly to frame--the mini pump mount basically acts as a spacer...

Those of you with water bottle cages. How did you mount yours'? The cable routing is not cage friendly.

401 - 420 of 445 Posts