Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

381 - 400 of 446 Posts

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts

·
Birding Mtb'er
52 Posts
The Banshee has landed. I wanted to build it up in a day, but it ended up being a few bites at a time over the course of a few weeks. Just a couple small details to button up, but she is riding. I didn't realize it before, but I had never had a bike that actually fit. It is a radically different feel than my old 2010 Jamis, but I am quickly loving it. This is how bikes are supposed to feel.

XL Frame
Fork: Fox Factory 34, 130mm, 51 offset
Wheels: 29" Spank 350 rims, 30.5mm. Sapim 14/15 db spokes
Hubs: XT front, XTR rear. Built by local wheel guru.
Tires: 2.5 WTB Vigilante front, 2.3 Aggressor rear
XT Drivetrain: 175mm cranks, 34T chainring, 10-51 cassette
XT derailleur & shifter
Brakes: XT 8100 two piston, 180mm rotors
Stem: RaceFace Turbine R, 50mm
Bar: OneUp carbon, 800mm, 20mm rise. Grips: PNW Loam, Fruit Snacks flavor
Dropper: Fox Transfer, 150mm
Saddle: WTB Pure Ti
Weight: 30.0 lbs

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg

A few thoughts/observations..

This frame is awesome, even just to look at. Paint was in good shape on arrival. One small thing was the rear brake mounting surface was not machined clean, but the paint wasn't totally bonded there and was easy to peel off. I used a razor to get a good edge and a bit of adhesive to keep it from peeling further than the brake mount. Also, there are no 'Paradox' decals on the seat stays, which at first was a small bummer but now I actually like the clean look, and it seems that some others don't have this either. I used Lizard Skins matte frame protectors on the down tube and chain stays. I think it came out pretty well, and like how it is matte like the frame.

I had to make a few small compromises on components due to availability, such as the 34T ring. It is fine for now, but I will probably need something smaller when our big climbs into the mountains open back up in the spring.

I am not a super gonzo rider, so figured 130mm travel would be more than adequate, and got 51 offset because I was thinking I would rather go with the slightly less trail. As someone brought up, as a taller rider (6-3) I am finding that I have a little more weight on my hands when seated than I would like. I have only done a couple short rides so far though, so maybe I'll get used to it, but I am keeping a 35mm rise bar in the back of my mind but will wait until I get time on more varied terrain.

Lastly, with the XT drivetrain and following Shimano's instructions on BB and crank spacers, the chainline seems to line up with about the 9th or 10th cog, or in other words farther towards the smallest cog than I was expecting. With a lot of steep climbing here, I use the lower gears more, so would rather have the chainline towards the bigger cogs. I might move a couple spacers around and see what happens. I am hoping to get away with not using a chain guide, and so far so good, but we'll see how it goes when I get into some rougher rides.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,332 Posts
This showed up today. I really like the green.

... and I'm stuck waiting on hubs... :madman:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Each of the released Paradox V3 colours look great. Still pumped with my Raw frame.

Almost 18 months of ownership and I'm still astounded by how well it rides.

I fitted a Push HC97 damper to my Lyrik and it's just made it even more sublime.

This bike has definitely been one of my very best bike frame selections!

·
Birding Mtb'er
52 Posts
Ooooo that is super cool, glad to see the greens are out and people are getting them in hand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have to say Hardtail Party was spot on with underforking the Paradox and setting it up in XC mode... makes an already amazing bike even more enjoyable and fun on the flowy trails but still very capable of techy sections. Look forward to experimenting with it on different terrain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Have to say Hardtail Party was spot on with underforking the Paradox and setting it up in XC mode... makes an already amazing bike even more enjoyable and fun on the flowy trails but still very capable of techy sections. Look forward to experimenting with it on different terrain.
I’ve been running my pike with a 130 mm travel as well. So good! I smack my pedals a little more often but all other times it’s unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
New build day
Green Paradox MD
150 pike Ultimate
Canfield 170mm cranks KMC chain
XT drivetrain, Absolute Black oval 32
Raceface Turbine SL wheels
Vittoria 2.35 Agarro , Mezcal tires
XC cushcore
Bike Yoke Divine 185 dropper, remote
Hayes Dominion 2 piston Carbon brakes
Chromag Saddle and Stem
One up 15mm Carbon bars
DMR death grips Camo
Issi pedals
>29lbs

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
That green looks the goods. Strong spec choices too. Keen to hear your ride report with the 150mm travel.

Like you, I opted for more travel and absolutely love it. If it were at 130mm it'd be too nose heavy for my tastes. Personal preference of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great to finally see some pictures of the new green colour.

I've got an XL in green reserved at my local bike shop that's due to come into stock in a couple of weeks but i'm afraid to say that i'm not loving it at much as I expected. Makes me think I should have gone with the polished finish after all :-/

Maybe when I see some better pictures in bright sunshine the colour will grow on me. Although I love the super clean look of no graphics on the downtube (that are visible from the side) it seems to work better on the polished variant compared to the painted variants.

Btw - no offence intended to anyone who has posted pics of the the new green - it's great you've all got your new frames at last - i'm just commenting on my personal preference. Would you say that the pictures are a fair representation of the colour compared to in-person?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Give yourself time to see it in person, you may find it grows on you more than the photos.

What's the main colour of your other component choices? Aside from black of course.

If you don't like it when you see it, do you have the option to decline it and select the raw finish?

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,332 Posts
The colour is accurate enough on my monitor. But, that'll differ anyway. I really do like the green, but it's completely a personal choice. I also like the face that I doubt I'll see many others ;) I agree, go look at it if you can

Then again, had I gone with a spitfire I'd have gone British racing green.

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
Agreed though might be a touch hotter minus the goldy chain ring and white outer cables.
Haha, it was supposed to be a red chainring but XT cranks are backordered forever. The cables look white in photos but is all matchy silver housing with the silver Pike and silver on the frame, in fact the green should have shipped with a Pike ultimate, perfect match

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,332 Posts
Yea, the Pike's a nice match.. I agree

Hubs and the rear caliper adapter. I can't believe how stressed the supply chain is now. I'm not cutting the brake lines until I can do both.

381 - 400 of 446 Posts