Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my new Paradox, which I had delivered this morning. Big thanks to all at Freeborn UK and Jay at Banshee for getting the frame to me 'special delivery' :thumbsup:

Decided to go 1x9 Middleburn (sq taper) 30T 11x32. Managed to build her up today and in time for a ride before the light went.

*Gush Alert ON* Wishes do come true. I wanted a super fun, slacked out, short chain stay comfortable frame. The Paradox ticks all those in spades and more.

This was the easiest bike I have built and it took very little time, with no issues. All I have to do is shorten the chain to stop it falling off which I didn't have time to do.

So, out I went to to my regular quick loop trail for a shakedown.

I was dieing to see how comfortable the Paradox was, being an alu frame. I still have the painful memory of a Giant alu XTC I once owned and how that used to shake me around.... However, as soon as I set off (up a hill) I noticed how light the front was - woooah! Sitting upright and giving it a pedal full the front popped up! Leaning back and pedaling I could wheelie real easy. The smile was getting very big at this stage.

After establishing the front balance and pop point, I didn't notice the lightness once for the rest of the ride, on climbs or otherwise. It just became normal. However, if the front needed to be lifted I just had to lean back and pedal a little. This is certainly a very easily loftable bike. I thought my Lenz Behemoth was but even that needs a preload, but not so with the Paradox which makes it easier on the trail with obstacles coming on you quickly.

Very soon I realised the rear is buttery smooth. Easily as smooth as my steel SIR 9. Very comfortable indeed. Long rides would be a sinch on this bike. The rear is also very firm laterally, and has a responsive snap under pedaling I have not experienced before. All pedal force is felt to transfer into movement - quite nice.

So, climbing was taken brilliantly well. Didn't try any real technical climbing, but I feel sure this would be handled well too.

Fast descending was tad on the sketchy side. This was on hardpack with a lose very dry covering. I needed to keep my wits about me. I put that down to either tyre choice (Nevegal front, ACX rear) or the fact I went for a medium sized frame which is a tad on the small side for me and I may have given up some stability, but I just prefer a small bike. Or it may be the short chain stays, I'll have to see.

Short and tall this bike is big fun. I could get all over it, move it about easily, negotiate switchbacks more easily than my Lenz, loft, push pull all over it. Great. I love it already. Gush over, for the time being :D

Edit: Changed front tyre to a 2.55 Wierwolf and all sketchiness has gone

Attachments

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Nice set up- are you going to run any type of chainguide on it or at a minimum a N-Gear Jumpstop to prevent the chain from falling off towards the inside?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No.

I've not ran any kind of anti-drop device on previous 1x9 set-ups and have never had a problem with the chain dropping off.

Just need to get the chain as short as possible and your good. As you can see from the cage position on the rear der, my chain at the moment is too long (and it did fall off)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Glad to see you've finally got the frame. I see you win the prize for the first 'dropper seat post on a Paradox posted to MTBR award too. You must have bigger hills than I do.

I don't find the front sketchy at all on the loose stuff but then I don't run a Nev on the front. I love the grip and volume of the Mountain King and Ardent never got on with the Nev.

I had been thinking of running 1x6 and may still do. Be interesting to see how you get on with the 1x9.

That bike looks far to clean. Go and get it muddy at once. :)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
martin_uk said:
Glad to see you've finally got the frame. I see you win the prize for the first 'dropper seat post on a Paradox posted to MTBR award too. You must have bigger hills than I do.

I don't find the front sketchy at all on the loose stuff but then I don't run a Nev on the front. I love the grip and volume of the Mountain King and Ardent never got on with the Nev.

I had been thinking of running 1x6 and may still do. Be interesting to see how you get on with the 1x9.

That bike looks far to clean. Go and get it muddy at once. :)
After today's little blast there's a thin covering of brown dust, but I'll work on getting some mud on it ;) And I'll swap out the Nev

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pulsepro said:
Sweet set-up. I'm lovin' my Paradox.

Given the length of post exposed, I'd say you should've gone with a large frame. Just my 2cents.
You're probably right, but I guess I like ill fitting bikes, my sqisher is medium size too.

·