Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Save yourself over an hours worth of riding and hit up the stuff between Fort Bragg and Mendocino in the Jackson State Forest. Trust me, way better trails than the little riding that's out there on unParadise Royal.
We made the trek out there last year and was totally pissed. It's a loooooong way from anywhere and totally wasn't worth it. And that was riding it both directions that day to try and get some miles in.

Bahhh..I'm biased though i guess. Maybe go hit Paradise Royal one day, then come down and do a mid day ride in the true redwoods before headed back home. Then you can decide for yourself.

OH....and to your original question....I'm sure it has held up just fine. No reason to not go because of a little rain. That place is used to lots of rain.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dirt at both places will be great. Racing at tish tang tomorrow...lines on DH should be grooved in beautifully. A little brush on part of roller, but TT is in great shape otherwise. Access is a tossup - They've been fixing a slide and the normal access to TT is closed. They should pave the road Friday, otherwise it's 45 min extra around Hawkins Bar way.

Royale is better when wet.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Save yourself over an hours worth of riding and hit up the stuff between Fort Bragg and Mendocino in the Jackson State Forest. Trust me, way better trails than the little riding that's out there on unParadise Royal.
We made the trek out there last year and was totally pissed. It's a loooooong way from anywhere and totally wasn't worth it. And that was riding it both directions that day to try and get some miles in.

Bahhh..I'm biased though i guess. Maybe go hit Paradise Royal one day, then come down and do a mid day ride in the true redwoods before headed back home. Then you can decide for yourself.

OH....and to your original question....I'm sure it has held up just fine. No reason to not go because of a little rain. That place is used to lots of rain.
Mendo and Ft. Bragg area eh? Can you give me a bit of extended info on the riding there?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Dirt at both places will be great. Racing at tish tang tomorrow...lines on DH should be grooved in beautifully. A little brush on part of roller, but TT is in great shape otherwise. Access is a tossup - They've been fixing a slide and the normal access to TT is closed. They should pave the road Friday, otherwise it's 45 min extra around Hawkins Bar way.

Royale is better when wet.

Tish Tang was fun as hell thsi weekend! Supposedly if you go up farther, there are 10-15+ miles of more stuff? Epic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
fort bragg / paradise royale

Rode Paradise Royale last year and Fort Bragg just this past weekend. I'd say that Fort Bragg was better - not only the trails but in terms of easy access (four hours from east bay) and nearby facilities. Paradise Royale is a lot of fun but hard to get to and once there - you are out in the middle of nowhere. Fort Bragg had bars and restaurants within a few miles of trail heads and the State Camp Grounds have showers!!! Plus the members of Mendocino Cycling Club are great hosts and could get you squared away on directions and trailheads if you reach out to them. They really are happy to see you and promote their slice of mtb cycling nirvana.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Trail Guidebook for Mendocino Coast

I have recently completed and published a new comprehensive trail guidebook - "Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond".
In this 58 page book are many local favorite trails in the Mendocino-Caspar-Ft. Bragg area. All rides have a comprehensive description complete with GPS/cyclometer mileage for trail intersections. An appendex has an excess of GPS coordinates for cross-referencing trailheads and trail intersections. Most of our trails are still not signed. Longest ride is 34 miles with 4395' of elevation gain. A majority of the rides are "Advanced" with several easy and moderate rides thrown in.

The guidebook was a big hit at our 1st annual Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival. A limited number of these guidebooks are still available through me for $10.00 plus $2.95 s&h. If interested, you may contact me at Roo Harris, P.O. Box 347 Little River CA 95456. I will ship immediately.

The trails are still in perrrrfect condition after our festival. Come up and ride with us. Guides available upon request.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.