Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steel or aluminium; and not frames, chainrings. It would seem in a contest between Spot and Surly, Spot wins. But is that always the case. I am about to replace a chainring and I have one that's steel and one that 7057 T6 (weight is not an issue but strength is). As a caveat, it is the middle of a triple crankset, but I figure it does has singlespeed aplications. What say you?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about strength on a triple crankset. Unless you're a super-clyde. Both will work, choose the one that shifts the best. 7075 is strong, steel is strong. Aluminum bends, steel breaks.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Agree, Surly soft...I have chainring art in the garage

At first look, I thought the steel surly ring would wear great, but broke a chainring bolt and folded the surly. Haven't done that to a Salsa or Blackspire.

CB2 said:
From my experience, riding the technical trails of New England, I'd rather alloy. The Surly rings bend hella easy, especially in the 104 BCD 4 bolt pattern. If you run one in that configuration, I'd suggest a bash guard.
I've had no issues with bending or breaking alloy rings...ever.

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
Renovatio said:
I don't think you need to worry about strength on a triple crankset. Unless you're a super-clyde. Both will work, choose the one that shifts the best. 7075 is strong, steel is strong. Aluminum bends, steel breaks.
.......the one that shifts best..... as for the SURLY, as fine a pruct as it is for it's intended use, without ramps and pins you could eat lunch waiting for the chain to climb off your granny onto your middle ring ( you did say TRIPLE, right)

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scyule said:
.......the one that shifts best..... as for the SURLY, as fine a pruct as it is for it's intended use, without ramps and pins you could eat lunch waiting for the chain to climb off your granny onto your middle ring ( you did say TRIPLE, right)
Well, I'd have to disagree with you there. Ramps and pins are a relatively new development (within the last 15 years), while I have an 80's rode bike and a 90's mountain bike, without pins and ramps that shift just fine.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
Renovatio said:
you are incorrect there, steel bends, aluminum breaks. Most stainless has a much lower yield strength than aluminum, meaning it takes far less force to permanently deform it. The only exceptions i'm aware of are heat treated stainless steels like 17-4 and 440c, which i dont believe anyone makes because it's far too costly in the size needed for chainrings. I'd stay very, very far away from any 300 series stainless chainring. I've tacoed a 32t 104bcd 304 series stainless ring (i'll keep the brand name out of it) just by climbing a hill once, and ruined my ride. The same ring would also get tweaked on a regular basis from minor bumps or pedaling with a loose chain which would not effect an aluminum ring at all.

·
2,419 Posts
aka brad said:
Well, I'd have to disagree with you there. Ramps and pins are a relatively new development (within the last 15 years), while I have an 80's rode bike and a 90's mountain bike, without pins and ramps that shift just fine.
I've also sold plenty of chainrings to people who used them on a geared bike and said they shifted fine. I'd guess it wouldn't shift as good, but i think it'd be 100% tolerable.
I always recommend something like a ramped blackspire for geared bike useage.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
well if you have a five bolt crank set I dont think you will be bending any rings , i once bought an aluminum chain ring and it wore pretty bad and I didnt get many miles out of it . what I believe the problem some people are having with bending rings is that there using a four bolt cranksets . at least thats what my theory is .

·
2,419 Posts
nuck_chorris said:
well if you have a five bolt crank set I dont think you will be bending any rings , i once bought an aluminum chain ring and it wore pretty bad and I didnt get many miles out of it . what I believe the problem some people are having with bending rings is that there using a four bolt cranksets . at least thats what my theory is .
alot of the problems i had would not be prevented by a 5 bolt crank. However, it probably would have helped the tacoing issue i had on it's last ride.
Yes, aluminum wears faster, but at least it's a gradual failure and wont leave you stranded somewhere. I run ti in the back, and aluminum in the front. I may switch to ti in the front eventually, but i dont remember the last time i had time to make stuff for myself so i wont be holding my breath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.