Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning to use bike for bushwhacking and mud riding. trails i will be using during these times are my dirt bike trails and are pretty tight and not cleared at leg level like groomed mtb trails are. so in other words, shorts don't cut it.

i run flats on this bike and have been using work boots or hiking boots. not bad, but kind of slippery on pedals occasionally. i have some pretty grippy vp pedals on it that were pretty expensive.

I could wear some moto pants, but they will be pretty hot as the temps go up around here.

anyone ride similar stuff and have boot/pants reccomendations for warmer temps?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,439 Posts
Chaps?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm gonna be the clueless roadie here and say, why would you wear pants? why not just wear tights? lower profile, so less chance of getting snagged, reasonably comfortable in warmer weather and as long as you aren't riding through a wild rose bush, pretty decent protection.

And if you are afraid of looking weird, just throw the shorts on over the tights.

·
1,711 Posts
I wear some Castelli tights and then my normal summer mt biking shorts over them. I'm not sure what temps you mean by warmer though... like 40's 50's... or full on hot? In spring summer I just wear shorts... but sounds like your terrain won't allow for that. These are slightly insulated but not much... I just did a search and they are actually on sale too.

Castelli Ergo Tights | Competitive Cyclist

·
Banned
1,682 Posts
I have an old pair of nylon climbing pants. works well. you could also look at todays zip off pants, that would work well. I have a pair from cloudveil that work really well for what you are describing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wear some Castelli tights and then my normal summer mt biking shorts over them. I'm not sure what temps you mean by warmer though... like 40's 50's... or full on hot? In spring summer I just wear shorts... but sounds like your terrain won't allow for that. These are slightly insulated but not much... I just did a search and they are actually on sale too.

Castelli Ergo Tights | Competitive Cyclist
might be a bit hot. i rode a couple days ago when it was upper 50's and only wore shorts and t shirt. i rode the trails in question and came back cut to ribbons which is what prompted this thread.

·
Registered
267 Posts
you could cut some vents into them with a pocket knife. I wouldn't wear them on a scorcher of a day, but if protection is the goal, they're a good, cheap, choice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts