Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
enjoying the kool-aid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

so I'm in a bit of a crunch. I called and ordered a medium pantera from Cambria about 6pm central time.
Now I am having second thoughts about the medium size.

I am 5' 11" to 5' 11.5" with a 31.5 inseam. 25" arm length.

I currently ride a 17.5" Tassajara with a 23.9 top tube. It feels pretty comfy though I have the seat up pretty high.

I called Ventana to ask their advice and they are already closed. I called Larry @ mountain high cyclerly and they are closed too. I called Cambria to see if I could put a hold on the shipping of the frame until I can talk to Ventana and they are closed! hehe nice eh?

So... if anyone sees this before tomorrow when Ventana opens... could you tell me what you'd recommend on size?

The medium has a 23.2 top tube and the large has a 24.1 top tube.
Now I'm leaning towards the large since the standover is basically the same and the top tube is only .2" longer than my current bike.

I did a search for some threads but didnt come up with much info.

I'm sure Cambria hasn't actually shipped my frame since I ordered it like 2 hours before they close for the day. I'd like to make a decision tomorrow AM though and get this stuff rolling.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I recommend Large

Chewieez said:
Hey guys...

so I'm in a bit of a crunch. I called and ordered a medium pantera from Cambria about 6pm central time.
Now I am having second thoughts about the medium size.

I am 5' 11" to 5' 11.5" with a 31.5 inseam. 25" arm length.

I currently ride a 17.5" Tassajara with a 23.9 top tube. It feels pretty comfy though I have the seat up pretty high.

I called Ventana to ask their advice and they are already closed. I called Larry @ mountain high cyclerly and they are closed too. I called Cambria to see if I could put a hold on the shipping of the frame until I can talk to Ventana and they are closed! hehe nice eh?

So... if anyone sees this before tomorrow when Ventana opens... could you tell me what you'd recommend on size?

The medium has a 23.2 top tube and the large has a 24.1 top tube.
Now I'm leaning towards the large since the standover is basically the same and the top tube is only .2" longer than my current bike.

I did a search for some threads but didnt come up with much info.

I'm sure Cambria hasn't actually shipped my frame since I ordered it like 2 hours before they close for the day. I'd like to make a decision tomorrow AM though and get this stuff rolling.

Thanks!
I recommend that you change your order to the large. Do not worry about Cambria. Those guys are very slow - you would be lucky if they ship by Monday. But they sure do have a killer deal on the Panteras right now.

I am 6-2 with 36 inch inseam. I rode a XL Pantera. I have a XL Saltamontes right now.

If your current stem length on the Tassajara is 90mm or less you may consider sticking with the medium and move up to a longer 110 or 120mm stem. Otherwise I recommend the large. The difference in the top tube is .2 inches or 5 mm. That means you only need to shorten your stem length by 5 mm to achieve the same overall reach with the large Pantera versus your Tassajara (or slide your seat forward by 5 mm). Standover height should be no problem with the large Pantera.

I very much miss my Pantera (even with the Saltamontes in my garage). Keep her in the middle chainring and she will climb like a xc racer bike - but with the stiffness and durability of a trail bike. Enjoy!
 

·
enjoying the kool-aid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love this Ventana board! There's always someone around! heh

Thanks for the recommendation. I emaield with LarryG from this board as well and he recommended the large as well.

I've heard that Cambria is quite slow. I'm going to call them in the morning when they open and change my order. Then I'm going to call Ventana and talk to them about size.

I run a 90mm stem on my Tassajara. I have already bought a 90mm raceface dues stem for the new build. I'll prob just move my seat to where it feels good. It sounds like that should work well.


I bought (and still own) a 19.5" Haro Werx XLS frame off ebay and built it up and realized it was way too big for me. I didn't have any standover at all. like negative .5" inch! hah But the standover on that large bike is like 31.6 and I had a 5" fork which made it more like 32". That bike looked huge so that made weiry about a 19" Pantera.

I studied the geometry page more though and it looks close to my Tassajara.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that Cambria will actually ship me a bike at all with all the stories I've heard.

Thanks again for the advice!
 

·
Shot Down in Flames...
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
It just so happens...

FWIW,

I'm 5'-11" and I rode LoneStar's 17" Pantera today. It felt way too small to me. But I like a long cockpit. I had my 18" Salty built with a TT from the 20" and I run a 120mm stem.

Measure your TT on the GF and compare. I personally would go with the 19" if I were you. Plus, I think it's better to err on the side of a bit large than a bit small.

D.
 

·
Having a nice day!
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
I'd have to agree. Go with the large. The 17" fits me great, but if I were your height, I would have a whole lot of seatpost showing and a really long stem, at least for the type of riding I do.
 

·
enjoying the kool-aid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the response Sherwood!

I called Cambria and changed it to a large. They said it was already being packaged to ship so it should(might) go out today. Hopefully I'll receive it next week!

I haven't got a response from my email I send to you though Sherwood. About the front der.
Will a SRAM X gen top pull work?
Will it be easy to run full cable housing for the shifting?
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
I asked something similar...

Chewieez said:
Thank you for the response Sherwood!

I called Cambria and changed it to a large. They said it was already being packaged to ship so it should(might) go out today. Hopefully I'll receive it next week!

I haven't got a response from my email I send to you though Sherwood. About the front der.
Will a SRAM X gen top pull work?
Will it be easy to run full cable housing for the shifting?
SRAM X -Gen should work just fine, it's no different than Shimano's Fronts in it' s basic function. The cable attachement point is further out, causing a more angled cable line coming out of the frame stop, that's about all I can think of.

Full housing. I believe the Pantera has the 4 hole stops, two that have stops and two that are thru holes for full housing. And below the tube there's the "ying and yang" full housing holder for the rear brakes.

So you can easily run full housing for all your cables.
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
One more thing...

Chewieez said:
Thanks!
That all sounds great!
Go to the SRAM board and look for the X-Gen Front Der. Blues post. This not specific to Ventana frames, just a general coment on the X-Gen.

-Aaron

P.S. - I use X-9 Triggers with XT Front D. and Rocket Grips with LX with zero issues.
 

·
enjoying the kool-aid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
Go to the SRAM board and look for the X-Gen Front Der. Blues post. This not specific to Ventana frames, just a general coment on the X-Gen.

-Aaron

P.S. - I use X-9 Triggers with XT Front D. and Rocket Grips with LX with zero issues.
Thanks. I had already considered sending my xgen back and getting a XT front. I have to send back my 30.9 Thompson post anyways so it would be easy to just send them both back.

Which XT model do you recommend? M760?
I was hoping for an all SRAM drivechain. I have the x9 rear der, 990 cassette, PC99 chain, and X9 triggers. I read on the SRAM board that the Xgen is good with twistys but not so much with the triggers. I don't know if I feel like constantly messing with it either. Might worth it to just set it and forget it with a ShimaNO.
 

·
Shot Down in Flames...
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Fwiw

My set up on the Salty is: X.0 Shifters/RD, XT761 FD, PC-99, XT 760 11-34 cassette, RF Deus cranks, and it is far and away the best shifting set-up I have ever ridden. Twisties beat triggers anyday for better shifting when set-up properly. The X.0 RD is exceptionally better than my XTR on the PW.

The PW set-up is: Rocket twist shifters, XTR 952 RD, XT761 FD, PC-99, XT 760 11-34 cassette, RF Turbine LP cranks.

I don't have particular allegiance to either SRAM or Shimano, I use what works best for me, hence the combo. The XT761 FD has been flawless.

I'm going to change the PW to X.9 twist shifters and RD as soon as the next bout of UGI sets in due to my happiness with the X.0

YMMV,
D.
 

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
D-Rock said:
FWIW,

I'm 5'-11" and I rode LoneStar's 17" Pantera today. It felt way too small to me. But I like a long cockpit. I had my 18" Salty built with a TT from the 20" and I run a 120mm stem.

Measure your TT on the GF and compare. I personally would go with the 19" if I were you. Plus, I think it's better to err on the side of a bit large than a bit small.

D.
That's the truth! His Salty's cockpit is almost as long as the one on my XL Burner.
And I'm 6'2".

PS - DId Tanasi on Sunday morning. More miles than a couple weeks ago and - bonus - didn't get rained on!
 

·
enjoying the kool-aid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but:

What do you think about this XTR 952 front der. Its on closeout at Cambria. I thought it might be a good deal if it would work well. Seems to be a standard top or bottom pull top swing. Should work I guess right? Seems like a good deal for $29 bucks.

XTR 952 Front Derailleur
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
You're not beating a dead horse....

Chewieez said:
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but:

What do you think about this XTR 952 front der. Its on closeout at Cambria. I thought it might be a good deal if it would work well. Seems to be a standard top or bottom pull top swing. Should work I guess right? Seems like a good deal for $29 bucks.

XTR 952 Front Derailleur
Just being thorough in your part selection.

However, that there Part is a 1 1/8" clamp, and it doesn't appear that they have a 1 3/8" clamp in stock which is what you need.

I believe this is your best bet if you have to order from Cambria
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=10088
 

·
enjoying the kool-aid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok thanks!

I'll probably just send my Xgen back to the guy I bought it from and just trade it for a M760. I have to send him my 30.9 thompson seatpost for a 27.2 so I'll just send the derailleur back as well.

Thanks for the help and clarification!
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Any time...

Chewieez said:
Ok thanks!

I'll probably just send my Xgen back to the guy I bought it from and just trade it for a M760. I have to send him my 30.9 thompson seatpost for a 27.2 so I'll just send the derailleur back as well.

Thanks for the help and clarification!
That's what I'm wasting time at work for! =^D

-A
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top