Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who just broke his Ellsworth, and is looking for something tougher. I personally am a Turner Homer, and tried to sway him to the 5-spot, but he doesn't have the cash. He found a really good deal on a Pantera, and it looks tough, but will it hold up to him? He is 5'10 / 230 lbs. He rides XC, but he rides a lot. He does many 12 hour races. Will this bike hold up for him? How is the Ventana Warranty? (the Ellsworth one SUCKED!)

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Ventana CS/Warranty has always been great....

shammac said:
I have a friend who just broke his Ellsworth, and is looking for something tougher. I personally am a Turner Homer, and tried to sway him to the 5-spot, but he doesn't have the cash. He found a really good deal on a Pantera, and it looks tough, but will it hold up to him? He is 5'10 / 230 lbs. He rides XC, but he rides a lot. He does many 12 hour races. Will this bike hold up for him? How is the Ventana Warranty? (the Ellsworth one SUCKED!)
And I can vouch for it being clyde friendly as it handled me when I was a Sumo-Clyde on several Test rides quite well. But the better testament would be my buddy Dustin.

6'3" ~260lbs. Obsolutely LOVES his Pantera.

Attachments

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Specs are still there

You just need to know where to look!

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_pantera.html

I have a 17" and if I recall correctly, it was right at 6 lbs. I probably weigh 200 with gear and water and I really like this bike. I added the superlink earlier this year and what was a stiff bike became uber-stiff! I'd recommend it to your friend. It just makes the bike track so true. One other plus is the finish on this bike seems to be bombproof!

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
LoneStar said:
You just need to know where to look!

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_pantera.html

I have a 17" and if I recall correctly, it was right at 6 lbs. I probably weigh 200 with gear and water and I really like this bike. I added the superlink earlier this year and what was a stiff bike became uber-stiff! I'd recommend it to your friend. It just makes the bike track so true. One other plus is the finish on this bike seems to be bombproof!
Now, now, now... don't be talkin' up your Pantera, you know you really want a Salty :p J/K

Seriously, he really does like his Pantera. For the money it's hard to beat.

Bucked-off at Big Creek again,
D.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Pantera page. I was exactly what I was looking for.
I see cambria still has some 17" and 19" frames for $899 Not a bad deal!

How does the bike ride?
Any comparisons to note? El Salt? Heckler? other single pivot bikes? I see it has a slightly longer top tube and a more slack head angle.

I hadn't thought too much about this bike but hearing that people love it makes me consider it. I've been considering a 04 El Salt but the price is more than I'd like to spend, though the adjustability is nice. I have also looked into the Yeti 575 but I think that 5.75 inches is more travel than I need for where I ride mostly. The price was good on the yeti though... choices choices...

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
1 other question I have.

I have heard a lot about the Ventana trade in program.
Do you think I'd be able to trade in a Pantera in a year or so if i decide to upgrade??
What do you think the deal would be? roughly?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got an XL Pantera. I'm 195 - 200 with all my riding gear on. I have just the swingarm without the stiffening link, and it's plenty stiff for me. I have a Swinger 3-way air shock on it, and there is no bob at all. I love the ride. The bike is a little heavier than what I'm used to, but I like the ride a lot.

I sold a Santa Cruz Superlight when I got this bike, and the Ventana is much stiffer & I think tougher. The shot-peened & anodized finish seems very durable.

Chewieez - I'm in Lexington KY if you ever want to see it.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
What about...

an El Chamuco. For a few hundred more you'll get more travel and a bit burlier frame. I rode one in Moab and found it to be an excellent pedalling bike with the Romic shock. Can be built up light with judicious part selection.
James

·
Registered
921 Posts
Three Years & Going Strong

I am 6'2" and 240lbs. Been on my Pantera for three hard years nary a problem.

The attached pic is from Ventana's web site and the bike was brand new when it was taken. May be one of the best XC bikes going for a Clyde.

https://www.ventanausa.com/gallery/1russ_pantera.jpg

Russ

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
SciBot said:
an El Chamuco. For a few hundred more you'll get more travel and a bit burlier frame. I rode one in Moab and found it to be an excellent pedalling bike with the Romic shock. Can be built up light with judicious part selection.
James
I was going to suggest the Chamuco too, until I re-read the 12 hour race bit! Great trailbike for a Clyde (or anyone) though.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Chewieez said:
Thanks for the link to the Pantera page. I was exactly what I was looking for.
I see cambria still has some 17" and 19" frames for $899 Not a bad deal!
There was a guy on here a few weeks back whinging because he bought one of these frames from Cambria and it arrived with a bent swingarm. They failed to sort it out for him when he sent it back, although he did lose his patience with them quite quickly and went for a refund. Probably nothing to worry about, but just a warning not to expect LBS style service from Cambria if something goes wrong. There is a small price to pay for bargains like this.

I'm not trying to put you off though, I just thought this incident was relevant info you should know about.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
D-Rock said:
Now, now, now... don't be talkin' up your Pantera, you know you really want a Salty :p J/K

Seriously, he really does like his Pantera. For the money it's hard to beat.

Bucked-off at Big Creek again,
D.
Busted! Mr. D is correct. I really enjoy the Pantera, but covet the flexibility the Salty offers. Alas, I too had budget constraints when I made the purchase.

For the record, I had no problems with Cambria on this purchase. In fact, I leveraged this purchase a few months later to get them to give me some more favorable pricing and shipping on a new saddle. I also thought they had dropped the price lower lately on these frames. I haven't even seen them advertising them on their recent ads in MBA, so I would think you can work them a little to get either a better price or discounts on other parts you will need.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Chewieez said:
1 other question I have.

I have heard a lot about the Ventana trade in program.
Do you think I'd be able to trade in a Pantera in a year or so if i decide to upgrade??
What do you think the deal would be? roughly?
From my understanding, the trade in program applies to all Ventana frames. I forgot exactly what the terms are, but I think it is posted on the Ventana site.

You know, there is a lot of mumbo-jumbo out there on suspension types and the pros and cons of each to the point that it just becomes numbing. I had never really spent a lot of time on a single pivot design like the Pantera, but I really liked the simplicity of the design and conversations with Sherwood, Larry at Mtn High and others helped ease my mind that I would be happy with this design. I went in thinking that I might just have to take advantage of that trade in offer sooner than later, but those thoughts were erased after the first few rides. The bike is just a joy to ride on the southeast trails that I ride. It descends great and climbs technical stuff very, very well. Sure, I wish it were a little lighter on some of the long climbs, but not as much as I wish I were a little lighter! Good luck on the decision.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys!
Someone said they thought the medium frame weighed in at 6lbs? Anyone else have any weighs of theirs? I thought they were more around 6.5-7ish...

I checked the Cambria site and they are now $799 there. I think I saw an ebay add that said $899. Seems like an great deal. I would love to plurge for the El Salt but I already splurged on getting my Vanilla 130mm and I am moving in a month and will be living solo so my bills will go up for the next month. So $799 instead of $1499 is looking good right now. Especially that I get to go with a small compassionate company that I can grow with and trade up when needed.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
For what it is worth, Boutique Bicycles did a review on the Pantera a while back (it is no longer on their website) where they had a 120mm fork on the bike. They really liked the setup. From what I recall, they said Sherwood had designed the bike for four inches of travel in the front. With the proper sag on the 120, the bike came in right at four inches and felt great. Your fork investment should be fine.

Where is Innocent Bystander when you need him!

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
A 100mm fork...unsagged is the ticket for Pantera. Even though you could sag a 130mm fork to 100mm, it is still a 130mm fork with its inherent leverage capability to aid in snapping off the head tube. I like you better as fellow riders than I do as broken up customers with no teeth. Don't do it.

-SPG

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
sherwood said:
A 100mm fork...unsagged is the ticket for Pantera. Even though you could sag a 130mm fork to 100mm, it is still a 130mm fork with its inherent leverage capability to aid in snapping off the head tube. I like you better as fellow riders than I do as broken up customers with no teeth. Don't do it.

-SPG
Good thing I have a 105mm then! Hey, I'm almost 42. The memory is fading!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.