Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be spending a month at the army JAG school in C'ville, and am planning on having my new monocog flight 29er delivered to me there because I had such a good time on the trails last time I was there.

I heard that panorama farm closed the mtb trails for most of 06. Are they open again for 07. I didn't get to check it out last time, but heard it was good.

I've been to walnut creek and liked it, and plan on hitting o-hill. I also poached part of the Rivanna trail on the recommendation of one of the girls at performance and the guys at extreme sports (I think that's the name, it's a specialized/cannondale shop). I felt kinda bad about it, but none of the other trail users (all 3 of them :rolleyes: ) seemed to mind.

Any other suggestions for the area? I'll have 4 weekends free to hit the trails and I want to make the most of it.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Panarama is closed indefinitely for public riding. Only open for races.

Rivanna is open to biking, so no worries there.

Recently added in the area is a addition to the Mint Springs trails in Crozet. Plenty more riding, including true epics within 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Are you able to get away from town while you are here? I'll gladly show you some of the bigger rides in the area. I live in Waynesboro (15-20 minutes down 64) and can show you some of the better single track the state has to offer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer. I definitely want to check out Big Levels as well. I should have 4 weekends free while I'm there. I hope the weather holds out. I'll PM you when I get there.

I thought Rivanna was closed to bikes, but I was talking to the guys at C'ville bike and tri last night, and they were telling me all about the rules. Where I live in Germany, singletrack is a rarity, so even stuff as tame as Rivanna is super-sweet to me.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
arkadi said:
I should also have asked...what 29er SS gearing would you recommend for the C'ville area. will 34/20 be okay?
34/20 would be okay at Walnut and Rivanna, but big levels and beyond will be tough. I'd recommend 32/20. I just saw this post after responding to the one in the 29er forum so I left a more detailed message there. :)

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
arkadi said:
I'm going to be spending a month at the army JAG school in C'ville,
Any other suggestions for the area? I'll have 4 weekends free to hit the trails and I want to make the most of it.
Join the CAMBC email list at

http://www.cambc.org/list.php

Usually a night ride at O'hill every week and folks are always going somewhere on the weekend. Goes out to over 200 people. Feel free to drop an email saying you want to go to Sherando or something and see who jumps in. Also don't forget the superbowl ride in Harrisonburg.

CAMBC is a 501c3 non-profit. Feel free to join or make a massive donation. We've been salivating for a Ditchwitch for a few years.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see. I'm used to riding in europe (7 years) where the state maintains the trails. I'll be happy to make a donation to a group that works hard to build the great trails around there. Does one of the local shops take donations on behalf of CAMBC?

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
arkadi said:
I see. I'm used to riding in europe (7 years) where the state maintains the trails. I'll be happy to make a donation to a group that works hard to build the great trails around there. Does one of the local shops take donations on behalf of CAMBC?
The model in question is a mini bulldozer like this:

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Product/ProductView/10555

I was half making a joke. We may have enough money to own one in 20 years (theres another!). Really the most supportive thing you can do is join, its only $10. If you care to make a donation, there's a line item on the form.

Come give us an hour or three of your time doing trailwork. That's a dontation. Workdays are announced on the email list.

You can join by paypal or by filling out the form linked in the join by mail section

http://www.cambc.org/join.php

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.