Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running 2.25 IRC Trailbear tires, which I like, but they're a little too wide and a bit on the heavy side. I'm thinking of going to Panaracer 2.1 Fire XC or Cinders--anyone have comments?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've gone through a couple pair of Fires. I thought they were really good all-round tires, if you're looking for 2.1s. They're not super-light or anything (~600g), but I didn't have much trouble with flats, and the work well on the local dry/rocky/loose terrain.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I like a fairly lightweight tire

like for sure under 600g. The Cinder also comes in a 1.95 which weighs around 560g. The Fire XCs can be down to maybe 580g but all the way up to 620g. You'll usually see the larger size Cinders advertised which really weigh more than I want or need on my bikes.

The Cinder has a little different rubber than the Fire XC and seems to grip better in all conditions, but I like both and you can't beat the price/performance ratio of the XC.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Though I prefer larger tires, I've used the XC Pro 2.1 a lot in the past; it's a great general-all-around condition tire. They last decently well, and can usually be found super cheap nearly anywhere.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
I put some Fire XCs on the hardtail in the fall. Big improvement over what I had been running. Fairly lightish, at least enough that I don't worry about pinch flats.

Now the strange thing is that I run Motoraptor 2.24s on my big bike, and I don't think they weigh that much more. Sure, I'm going by the stated weights, and I know I'll be suckered by a couple dozen grams. I just went with the Fire XCs because they were the right width and super cheap.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Panaracer Fire XC Kevlar....

For combo hardpack, loose, and everything in between (not counting mud) the Fire XC has been my favorite tire for a 2.1 'skinny'. I think they are pretty dang lite given their durability. If I was not running 2.5's now the Fires would be my first choice, followed by trying the WTB Weirwolf Kevlar in 2.1, I love the Weirwoves in in 2.5. The 2.5 Fires were heavier than I really needed.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Fire XC--120 vs 60 tpi

The 60 tpi (threads per inch) are made in Taiwan and weigh in the upper 600g range. The 120 tpi are made in Japan and weigh around 580g. The lighter ones cost more but are still cheap. The 60 tpi are even cheaper but way heavier. Don't know how one rides compared to the other but I'll spend a few more bucks to save a 1/4 lb per wheel!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've ridden the 120tpi Fire XC's for the past 2 seasons and really like them a lot. They work really really well for front range conditions. My rear tire is about shot, so I think I'll swap my front, which has plenty of tread left, to the back and put a 2.25 Cinder on the front and see how that feels. We'll see.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Cinder

The cinder is a good tire. It grips well, and rolls pretty good. The Fire has incredible grip, but its rolling resistance is very high. If I switch from another tire to a Fire it feels like I'm in tacky soil....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.