Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confirmed this rumor with Panaracer USA the other day. Yes they are indeed working on a 29er tire for 2006. Also, a very little known fact is the have been offering what is known as the "FireCross" for awhile now which is a 700c x 45
version of the Fire XC Pro.

Panaracer is not new to big wheels. Back in the 90's when Diamond Back created their ill-fated 700c mtbs they were spec'd with a 700c x 45 Panaracer Smoke (*which actually was more like 47).

I road a unique bike once (not my own) which was a TREK hybrid frame with one of these tires in back and a 26" wheel with a suspension fork up front. Kinda fun but the tire clearance in the rear was quite tight.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wake me when it's over.....(yawn)

juansevo said:
I confirmed this rumor with Panaracer USA the other day. Yes they are indeed working on a 29er tire for 2006. Also, a very little known fact is the have been offering what is known as the "FireCross" for awhile now which is a 700c x 45

Panaracer is not new to big wheels. Back in the 90's when Diamond Back created their ill-fated 700c mtbs they were spec'd with a 700c x 45 Panaracer Smoke (*which actually was more like 47).

I road a unique bike once (not my own) which was a TREK hybrid frame with one of these tires in back and a 26" wheel with a suspension fork up front. Kinda fun but the tire clearance in the rear was quite tight.
Pardon the lack of enthusiasm here, but I can't count the number of times we've read "new tire to be introduced from xxx" only to be disappointed in the end. I'll get excited when the actual goods hit the shelves!

As for your other information, it is all rather well documented here before. The Panaracer Fire Cross is a fine tire, except that it's not wide enough, and for a rather narrow mtb tire, it has high rolling resistance. This tire would have been a home run had Panaracer made it a 2.5. But since it's too big and slow for cyclocross and too narrow for it's tread pattern to make a good 29"er option, it's found itself in no-mans land. So, let's not say that no one has heard of it before, let's just say it doesn't solve anybody's problem out there, unless you are trying to turn an old hybrid into a mtb.

I hope your "confirmed information" comes true, however. It'd be nice if they made something meaty and wide so they would experience some success in the 29" market for once.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
While this isn't exactly old news, it is newer. I remember seeing a post regarding this a few weeks ago, and I don't think it got too much attention for exactly the reason Ted states. People don't want to get too excited only to be let down. See the Ritchey tire case for that one. That left a lot of people jaded. I am a bit more convinced of the Panaracer possibility though, since they have a history in the big wheel market(Smoke and Fire). Personally, I'm pulling for the 2.25 Cinder. Nice and large, with good square blocks. I know every one wants a big tire, but Panaracer isn't really known for big meats. I'd leave the bigguns to WTB, Schwalbe, or even Tioga(like THAT'll happen).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Fired off an email to Panaracer about this. Thinking, if nothing else, it'll show interest in 29er tyres. Well, got this response.

Fire Cross is currently available. It's a 700 x 45.A new 29 will be available in May or June.

Regards,
I did ask about size and tread pattern but no info.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the head of Panaracer USA, if he says they are doing it, we'll see it. :)

Problem with most rumors is they are just that, rumors. This has been confirmed. Now it's just a matter of seeing what they put out exactly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
juansevo said:
I know the head of Panaracer USA, if he says they are doing it, we'll see it. :)

Problem with most rumors is they are just that, rumors. This has been confirmed. Now it's just a matter of seeing what they put out exactly.
If the head honcho wants a bit of product testing I'd be willing to help ;).

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
juansevo said:
I sure hope it happens, but like everyone else I'm not going to get too excited until I hear the tires are on an actual boat headed our way. The FireCross hasn't been ridden by many on this board because it doesn't fill much of a need: a skinny, big-knob tire, likely with quite a bit of rolling resistance. That's a niche at best, even within the 29" market. Sounds bigger than the old Smoke, but still too small IMO.

juansevo said:
The Smoke was more like 700x40-42, not 47. Big knobs yes, but very small casing. The 700x40 Michelin TransWorld Sprint currently mounted on my KM's rear wheel has a bigger casing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.