Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need new tire i was thinking about some tioga but my lbs cannot get them so...

i can have some Panaracer Speed Blaster RAce LIte 1.75inch for 50$can each and they weight 350g in 2006...

Does someone know anything about those tire (pro/cons).
Does someone know if theres anything cheaper under 400g ? (1.9inch and less)

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
Megaclocker said:
Ok i need new tire i was thinking about some tioga but my lbs cannot get them so...

i can have some Panaracer Speed Blaster RAce LIte 1.75inch for 50$can each and they weight 350g in 2006...

You can get Maxxis Minotaurs for $15 at pricepoint, ebay, and elsewhere. They are skinny (approx 1.8 inches wide, although they're stated to be 1.9) and light (380 grams), but the nobs are tiny and tear off easily.

For around $35 you can get the Kenda Klimax at performance, jensonusa, and elsewhere. Only 345 grams, slightly wider at 1.95, but also a pretty fragile tread pattern.

Those are the only two ultra-lite tires I've tried, and in certain conditions they both work OK, although I think getting some slightly heavier tires, with better volume and tread pattern (i.e. Kenda Karma, Michelin XCR dry, Schwalbe Racing Ralph), is worth it due to the greatly improved traction and stability they provide.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i saw thye minotaur where i live and they are realy expensive !

Do you get flat often with sub 400g tire (Because they will be used for racing)?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Megaclocker said:

How are you planning on using said tires?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shiggy said:
How are you planning on using said tires?
yeah i would probalby buy those panaracer speed blaster race lite... But i will check for the kenda.

Do we get pinch flat often with sub-400g tire ?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Megaclocker said:
yeah i would probalby buy those panaracer speed blaster race lite... But i will check for the kenda.

Do we get pinch flat often with sub-400g tire ?
Huh?

What I want to know is what type of riding/conditons will you be doing? The SpeedBlaster Race Lite is a very condition specific tire. It may not be the best choice.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shiggy said:
Huh?

What I want to know is what type of riding/conditons will you be doing? The SpeedBlaster Race Lite is a very condition specific tire. It may not be the best choice.
XC race ? Hardpacked + Rocks sometimes

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Megaclocker said:
XC race ? Hardpacked + Rocks sometimes
All right...

The SpeedBlaster Race Lite 1.75 is an XC race tire. Works best on hardpack and loose over hardpack. Corners very well. Rolls well. So-so braking at best.

Like all sub-400g mtb tires it is very low-volume with a thin casing and thin tread rubber. Not meant for long-life or high puncture resistance. Can be a fast, effective tire under a rider with a light riding style on a fairly smooth, not-too-rocky course.

Not a tire for everyday trail riding.

The specs are on my site.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shiggy said:
All right...

The SpeedBlaster Race Lite 1.75 is an XC race tire. Works best on hardpack and loose over hardpack. Corners very well. Rolls well. So-so braking at best.

Like all sub-400g mtb tires it is very low-volume with a thin casing and thin tread rubber. Not meant for long-life or high puncture resistance. Can be a fast, effective tire under a rider with a light riding style on a fairly smooth, not-too-rocky course.

Not a tire for everyday trail riding.

The specs are on my site.
Yeah they will be used only used for race, not for training...

I forgot about ''loose terrain'' i will used them for pretty much anything except mud...
I will use regular tube with them, not those latex panarcer tube... i hope it will help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts