Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the rolling resistance on this tire, in say 2.1. ( What's the next size up?)
How is the wear on this tire also? I ride rocky, rooty, hardpack trails, would this tire be good?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
elsewhere said:
Rolls fast, good bite in corners, SLINGS mud.
If it's slinging it, it ain't packing it!

I haven't ridden this tire on an mtb, but I have a pair of 700x32 'cross tires using the same tread pattern and can say they get crazy traction. When turning on grass courses, you can hear 'em ripping the turf. They roll too slowly for grass, but for loose or sloppy conditions, they're great.

My brother runs one on the rear of his Rip9 and loves it. He's in north LA where the soil is typically loamy, but often sandy. He was running a Crossmark before and while he says the Fire XC doesn't roll as easily, there's no comparison when it comes to grip.

Mudge

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the moment I have a 2.0 Captain Sport on the rear. It's wearing fairly quickly. I still want a low RR because i take some streets and whatnot. But could always use more traction in the rear to rip it up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had the cheap ones (not the good made in Japan version) for about 10 years now. I got them first when I did a lot of mountain biking, wet, dry, roots, rocks, sand, everything. They hook up awesome and give a lot of traction. rolling resistance is OK, they are chunky tires with no continuous central tread.

I would buy them again if I get back into trail riding.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I have found the FireXCPro pretty good all around but when used in the rear it really lacked traction on wet slippery roots and rocks. A softer compound would have been better.

On the front on the other hand, they rock big time. They aren't the fastest rolling tires around but given their bite they do prettty damn well. I'll probably get a new one for the front in muddy conditions this year.

Only other point worthy of mention is that I've burped them twice running tubeless, never burped any other tire, so I'm still debating using them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sheepo5669 said:
It was light, fast and had good traction but i only used it for a few weeks. I then switched to nevegal 2.35s and damn they are slow in comparison.
When you say "they" are slow, are you referring to the Nevegals or the Fire XC Pros?

I think I know the answer, but would be really disappointed in the Fire XC Pro if it were slower than a Nevegal, so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Mudge

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear if you switch the tire in a different direction it has a different outcome?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
I hear if you switch the tire in a different direction it has a different outcome?
The center knobs aren't exactly 'ramped', at least not smoothly ramped like a Rampage or Nevegal. But, there is a 'graduation to the center knobs that make them roll smoother/faster in one direction while not giving up as much 'drive' traction as they would if more traditionally 'ramped'. Taking any ramped tire and turning it around will usually increase drive traction while decreasing braking traction.

Mudge

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
I used these tires years ago, these were the tires that made me realize how tires could totally change the way your bike rides. For their size, the cornered exceptionaly well on hard pack, loose, and loamy conditions at all lean angles. I found that they felt much better if you didn't reverse the rear tire. They rolled decently fast, but nothing go running your neighbors about. They would also tolerate low pressures without flats. Unfortunately, they didn't wear very well, and they tended to pack up quickly with mud. A similar tire with better performance would be the older version of the WTB weirwolf 2.1

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
These tires performed well for me as the trails I ride can get very dry and loose, but FireXCs don't have much volume and, as a result, I've always had to run them at a pretty high PSI (~40) on my hardtail in order to avoid pinch flats.

Now I'm looking for a high-volume solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.