Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to find them?

I like the 2.1 Fire XC's I have now but I want just a bit more substance. Just not the 2.4 behemoths that are the Fire FRs. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
If you love the Fire XC...

you'll hate the DH! The XCs weigh in at about 600g, the Fire DH tops out at about 1100g! That's a weight increase per wheel of a pound and a quarter!!! If you are into downhill it ain't a big deal, but if you have to pedal it up the mountain, you're gonna suffer!

In all actuallity the Fire FR is a lighter tire, the 2.4" 66 TPI version of the FR tips the scales at about 870g. That's only about 1/3 pound more per tire than the XCs and a full 1/2 pound + less than the DH. And you're only talking about a .10 inch difference in width between the FR and DH. It just depends on what you wan the tire to do. If you are looking for a higher volume tire, the FR would fit the bill and be significantly lighter than the DH. My personal preference would be for the Rampage in 2.35 though. 730g, high volume, rolls better/faster than the Fires and gives excellent traction in most conditions. If you are looking for a high volume really heavy duty tire that will resist rocks, roots, abrasions etc., the DH will certainly do it. but at a huge weight disadvantage. Add to that, that the DH is hard to find, I don't have a source for them.

The bottom line is, if all you are looking for is a higher volume tire with a bit more strength, there are better options that the Fire DH. Your choice though.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.