Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys, i just was on the Panaracer website, and was pretty much just about to order a pair of Fire XC's when i read there about their newer tire called "Cinder"

"The heir apparent to the XC Fire, the Cinder incorporates our newest compound technology ZSG Ultima. This compound performs unlike any other that weÅfve ever developed. Hot or cold, wet or dry, ZSG-Ultima is up to the task. Add to this our progressive multi-height knob configuration and the Cinder just rolls away from the Fire XC in terms of overall performance. ASB keeps away the pinchies and "gAbsolute F&R" design makes it work well on the front or rear."


They make it sound to be the successor to the Fire XC and not a diff kind of tire, is this true? If anyways was out to go get a pair of Fire XC's would the Cinder be a better option then?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
I was never a big fan of the Fire XC. Good tire, though just OK for my riding.

I like the Cinder much better. Better cornering, better feedback. Suits my style.
 

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool thanks.

I thought i read somewhere though today (i was trying to find more info on it) that the cinder was more for longer travel Suspension bikes. Is that true? If it is does this change it being a good tire for my Hardtail? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Krause said:
Very cool thanks.

I thought i read somewhere though today (i was trying to find more info on it) that the cinder was more for longer travel Suspension bikes. Is that true? If it is does this change it being a good tire for my Hardtail? :D
Very few tires are suspension specific. The Cinder works on any bike. Just pick the width you are most comfortable with. I have used the 1.95 and 2.25, handling is basically the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I've tried both and found the Cinders to feel a bit heavy but they do handle better than the XC Pro's. I've since switched to the Nobby Nics and love em. I'm thinking Shiggy will agree on the Nic's performance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
TrailVictim said:
I've tried both and found the Cinders to feel a bit heavy but they do handle better than the XC Pro's. I've since switched to the Nobby Nics and love em. I'm thinking Shiggy will agree on the Nic's performance.
Please do not assume what I think. I have not ridden the Nobby Nic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
I have used both as rear tires and prefer the Cinder. What it does better than the Fire XC:

- predictable break away when you are at the verge of locking up the brakes. Breaks away nice and slowly whereas the Fire XC is either on or off.

-alot more durable in rocky terrain. I haven't ripped any knobs off yet on my bi-weekly rocky singletrack ride.

-climbing traction seems to be similar

-Sp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
well if you're concerned about weight, the cinders are a good 200g heavier than the xc pros. again, it depends on the terrain you ride on, but that's a big weight difference for very similar performance...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
The weight difference depends on the size you are using. In any case I would gladly take the extra weight for the performance gain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
I was a long-time fire xc user and used both the cinder 1.95/ 2.225 when they came out--

I live and ride in Western Massachusetts-wet rocks and roots (especially this year) are the mainstay..

No love for the 1.95 cinder--just too squirrelly. In fact, what surprised me the most was that this tire-at this width-was just plain less grippy than the Fire XC pro.

The 2.25 in Cinder was a different story-gripped plenty well.

Best improvement over the Fire XC (for both sizes that is) is the far more durable/stronger sidewalls of the cinders. I don't think I ever got full tire tread wear on a Fire xc because I tore/wore out the side wall long before the expiration date! Couldn't run really low pressures either without high pinch flat risk.

But the cinder-esp tthe 2.25 could be run in the low 30 psi range comfortably and held up to quite a bit of sidewall abuse. They roll well too.

Though I liked the cinders I Ultimately I switched and have stayed with the schwalbe Albert Snakeskin 2.25 tires--better sidewalls, better rolling, Front specific version gives otherworldly slick conditions grip, and they're 100 grams lighter per tire (but alas-more money than the cinders).

Never ran the 2.1 version of the cinders--love to hear how they fare.

Liam
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Liam, how much do you weigh? I have put several light women on the 1.95 Cinder and they rave about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
shiggy said:
Liam, how much do you weigh? I have put several light women on the 1.95 Cinder and they rave about it.
I weigh in at 160.

The 1.95 was fine in the dry-but damp long flat rocks and roots were just miserable--I was surprised at the difference the 2.25 made liked them-but went with a lighter option (the albert)--I am curious to know how the 2.1 cinders fare--they weren't available when I last rode them.

But like I said-I appreciated the ruggedness of the the cinders in both sizes.

Everybody's experience is just different I guess.

Liam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
I am running the 2.25 Cinder as a rear tire and love it. The grip through the corners is amazing. Climbing and descending has really built my confidence in these tires and my ability. I run a Specialized Adrenaline/Resolution up front.
 

·
MTB Rider
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
Cinders Rock ...

I really like the Cinder 2.25. It's defitely has surer handling than the the Fire XC Pro. The Cinder is a tire you can put on your bike and just leave there for a variety of conditions. A cinder on the front just grabs like crazy.

I'm moving to 29ers so I will have to leave the Cinders behind. Hopefully, Panaracer's forthcoming 29er offering will have similar performance. Panaracer rocks.
 

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
willtsmith_nwi said:
I really like the Cinder 2.25. It's defitely has surer handling than the the Fire XC Pro. The Cinder is a tire you can put on your bike and just leave there for a variety of conditions. A cinder on the front just grabs like crazy.

I'm moving to 29ers so I will have to leave the Cinders behind. Hopefully, Panaracer's forthcoming 29er offering will have similar performance. Panaracer rocks.
Awsome :D my new tires are arriving on monday, Cinder 2.25 front and 2.1 back (pretty shure 2.25 was gonna cut it too close for the back space wise ;P )

But eventually im sure they will make a 29er and a UST version of the tire :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I'm running a Cinder 2.25 rear and WTB Timberwolf 2.5 in front. Excellent grip and predictable handling around 30-32 psi in loose/sandy/gravelly/dusty conditions around Tahoe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Krause said:
Awsome :D my new tires are arriving on monday, Cinder 2.25 front and 2.1 back (pretty shure 2.25 was gonna cut it too close for the back space wise ;P )

But eventually im sure they will make a 29er and a UST version of the tire :D
The 2.25 Cinder is small in my opinion. You probably won't have any issues with it as a rear tire.
 

·
Double-metric mtb man
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
For where I ride (northern Alberta, Canada), the deeper and more open pattern of the Fire XC's comes in handy...especially for those who ride a little more on the XC end of the spectrum. Our mud up here sucks hard, so the two stage knobs and deeper tread helps clear them a little better (note though, that they are *not* good tires for mud) and seems to dig in a hair deeper to where there may be some traction.

I'll agree with SinglePivot that the XC's are a little more "on / off" when it comes to locking up. I have been running the 127 TPI japanese XC's for the last 1000 kms and haven't lost a knob yet, so tearing out knobs could be a little hit and miss.

I may ave another look at the Cinders when I wear out this set of XC's, but for my type or riding and terrain, the XC's seem to be the best all-rounder available.

I can say, though, that I like Panaracer tires in general...they do a great job of putting out a good product.
 

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
Joined
·
19,859 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
I am running the 2.25 Cinder as a rear tire and love it. The grip through the corners is amazing. Climbing and descending has really built my confidence in these tires and my ability.
I agree one hunnert percent. This is my favorite rear tire. I have no problem with the weight and have not had knobs fall off.

I'm running a big, fat Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 up front and dig that, too.

A friend tells me the Cinder is being discontinued. :madmax: Anyone heard this?

fp
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top