Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been happy with the panaracer fire xc pro 2.1 in the rocky area's i ride, the ignitor 2.1 seems not to grip quite as well ... so this time around i've been looking at the cinder 2.2 instead of the xc pro because i don't have room for much wider tire in my fork ....

but I don't ever seem to see this tire talked about much ?? the tread looks like it may be good on the rocks and is very similar to other popular tires and perhaps i don't need quite the sharp edges of the side knobs of the xc pro

so does anyone have feedback on this tire? thanks.

·
Nice no rass
682 Posts
I've been riding as my rear tire for a year. I love it on slick rocks and roots. Cleans well in mud and handles well. The Cinder 2.25 is pretty big though, it's as big as any 2.3's or 2.35's I've had.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I've been using the Cinder 2.25 for several years now, both as a front and a rear tire. (Recently though, I wanted a slightly wider tire on the front and have started using the Panaracer Rampage for the front.) I've been happy with the Cinder. I've tried several other tires over the past few years, but keep returning to the Cinder.

I used to use the Fire XC. It was an okay tire; my main complaint about it is that the smallish side knobs were easily damaged by rocks. The Cinder does much better in this regard - the larger side knobs hold up to rocky terrain better.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
thumbs up

I highly recommend the Cinder.
I run it on the front, sometimes on the rear, but often w/ a trail blaster on the back, which rolls much faster. Both are under-rated tires.

I've raced with the Cinder up front since I wasn't willing to give up the confident handling for weight/rolling.
Generally, I don't think about it - it just works in all conditions (except serious mud) which is about all that you can ask.

I run a tube, since it has a somewhat loose bead. The anti-snake bite whatever they advertise actually seems to work well, since you can drop the pressure and not worry about flats too much. They are also durable.

G

·
In the UK I think that the Cinder is a highly under-rated tyre; it doesn't excel in any one area - it's just a good 'jack of all trades, master of none' tyre. The Panaracer ZSG rubber is good on rock, and at trail centres (bike parks) as most tend to be surfaced with gravel hardpack.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice ... i put on a set of cinder's and still trying them out ... so what pressure do you run? (I'm 205 so I guess I'm not a light weight!) ... first run on the rocks seemed ok but perhaps I have too much air

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
mtbikedroid said:
thanks for the advice ... i put on a set of cinder's and still trying them out ... so what pressure do you run? (I'm 205 so I guess I'm not a light weight!) ... first run on the rocks seemed ok but perhaps I have too much air
I weigh about the same. 30 psi in the rear. Slightly less than that in the front. I never have a problem with pinch flats at those pressures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the cinder for about a year when I lived on the east coast. For the eastern regions of the US like Allegheny Highlands and Mid-Atlantic Costal plains they are good trail that can handle most technical trails, rock gardens, log rides, etc... They griped good when brand new. But very quickly (like a couple hundred miles) the knobs got rounded off and lost quite a bit of performance and grip. The main knobs are really wide near the casing so they don't penetrate into most trails very well. Good grip on mud, buff hard pack, or soft soil, but roll slow and are fairly heavy. Up front the cinder tends to wash out at higher speeds, especially when it is loose or rooted. In the rear it is very drifty. Not a predictable tire at medium to high speeds on anything but super buff single track. Much better for slow technical trails. One of the worst tire I have used for fast dry dusty UT trails. If anything I think the tire is overrated in the review section. Just too one dimensional a tire IMO and side knobs are super flexy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... just some feedback after having spent 2-300 miles on the cinders ... much of that on rocky technical trails ...

basicly I think the tires are much better than my ignitors or fire pro's for climbing rocks and roots .. so for slow techical stuff I am very pleased and since this is where I have the most challenge and am most concerned about slipping on the rocks I would say they are successful. MTD

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Cinder 2.25's with tubes on my Fisher Cake. They're fast enough on the road that I'm OK with commuting to and from the trails. Tucson has a lot of hard dirt with light sand over it. The Cinders feel a little slippery but so do just about any tire in that condition. They climb well, even in soft stuff. Sand traps are OK. I run them at 28 psi and I weight 210.

I like the side knobs, they're even and tough.

I'll NEVER run the Fire's again. Side lugs rip off, center section washes out sometimes (crashed a few times, saw a "comb" mark in the sand where the tire slid sideways).

I'm running Kenda Nevegal's on the Trail/AM bike, but for the XC, the Cinder's seem to be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.