Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if this sort of question has been asked a million times before, my searches were not turning up much. I want to know peoples opinions on running Panaracer Rampage 2.35 as tubeless on Mavic 819's with stans. My concern is that perhaps the rims are too narrow for a 2.35 improvised tubless setup. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem...

the 819 is rated for 1.5 to 2.3" tires and the bead hook is obviously going to be good and secure. Most UST rim beads are quite agressive and secure. And the bead on the Rampage is pretty stout as well. I've been using regular tires on UST and Tubeless ready rims with bead to bead widths as narrow as 19mm and tire widths up to 2.4 with no problems. There is always the possibility of compatability issues any time you use a given rim/tire combination. But I doubt that you'll have any issues. Just use a little caution until you've had a chance to wring the combo out on the trail.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been running Nevegal 2.35 non-UST on 819's for 2 years. I found I needed a bit more Stan's when first setting them up but they work perfectly. I ride aggressive XC, lots of rocks, and small 3-4' drops. I weigh approx 180lbs fully loaded and my tire pressure doesn't go lower then 26lbs. I have ripped a few knobs off the tires but that would have happened regardless of the set up. I've never rolled the tires off the rims from being too narrow. I'd say go with it....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have pretty much the same set-up on my EX 7, except that I have Panaracer FireXCPros. When I first started using them, I had to add air about once a week for about a month. Now, they hold air pressure indefinitely. I do find that the skinny rim is more prone to burping. Hopefully you'll have better traction experiences with your tires than mine. I really think the traction provided by my Panaracers is nearly nonexistent. The only reason that I don't change them is because I have a new Remedy coming in January. BTW, I think I run between 28-32psi with my current set-up.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Panny's do pretty well as ghetto tubeless tires. Decent for trail riding and some AM work (at least where I am) but I found that the rubber compound isn't the grippiest (price you pay for good wear resistance).

I ride 819's and with the Panny's running thin anyway (their 2.1 is ~1.95, so the 2.35 is likely ~2.1-2.2), it won't be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.