Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I signed up for the Iron Cross 100K cross race in October up in PA. The course is supposed to be mostly gravel and dirt roads with a bit of single and double track thrown in. I was looking for a 650 B tire which will roll fast on the road, but still let me ride the singletrack with confidence. I am currently running Quasi Motos, which are fine, but I came accross these on-line:

Rivendell Bicycle Works: 650B x 40 Fatty Rumpkin Kevlar

It is a 40mm (about 1.5") 650B tire with recessed cavities for shedding mud. Seems like it would be an ideal tire for this kind of course. Has anyone ever tried these out?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I tried them out a few years ago and my impression was that they were mainly a pavement tire that could handle dirt roads. IMO it's a slick with a tread cut into it so it rolls smooth on pavement but does not offer much traction on singletrack. Any dirt that got into the grooves tended to stay there. I sold them after a week or so.

Cyclocross tires would have more and better traction than the Rumpkins . Any thought to running 700c wheels with wider cyclocross tires? The tire diameter with Quasi's would be close.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
If the conditions for the race were dry and you didn't have much in the manner of singletrack, I think they would be a pretty good choice. A cross tire would hook up better (why oh why is there not a tire that fits this bill in 650b?), but the Rumpkin does ok, rolls well and is pretty plush. But if you have anything wet you're ****ed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts