Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone here had wet side experience with the Fire XC Pro or the Kenda Small Block 8? Thinking about trying a set of the Fires or a combination of 2.1 Fire (rear) and 2.35 Small Block 8 (front) for the drier season ahead. They are cheap enough to try and toss if I don't like 'em but thought I'd ask.

EDIT: from additional searching, I see that the SB 8 is a lower resistance tire more suited to the rear for quicker take off in drier conditions. So nm about my front tire question. If I try the Fires, likely will be on both ends of the bike and I can keep rotating as I like to do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've been running Fires for a season now and they are great. I mostly ride a mix of terrain (roots, mud, gravel... you name it) I run them front and rear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i returned to oregon after spending the past few years in so cal. while i was down there i purchased a mtb that came stock with SB8's.they are pretty much useless this time of year.they make for a VERY interesting ride.zero traction on any kind of muddy uphill singletrack, or downhills under heavy braking. the only thing there good for right now is gravel roads.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
I've run Fire XC Pros in just about any kind of weather Oregon has. They are my favorite tire and have handled my style of riding just fine.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
The Fires are a great all around tire, but in bad mud, they tend to pack up a bit due to close knob spacing. When that starts to happen, go home. The trails are muddier than you should be riding on, anyhow!

Caveat: The 29er version is a bit bigger, with wider knob spacing, and clears mud a bit better than the 26er version.

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
I ran 2.35" Small Blocks on my 26" single speed, most of the time. They are a pretty fast/light tire and actually will work in the rear in some pretty wet conditions, however I did use a Nevegal for the front when things got slick. I will definitely be considering them on my 29er for the drier months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.