Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am planning to bring my bike once we visit chicago this February. Will the Palos Hills trail be ridable that time? or are there restrictions? Or should waterfal glen be an alternative?
This should be my main purpose of visiting the area and also check out McCormick place for the autoshow.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As long as the trails are frozen and not mushy, they should be open. Hard to say in Chicago though you know, there could be 1 foot of snow or 3 inches of mud on the trails by then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
icrider said:
if your on this forum you won't like waterfall glen...haven't been there but I hear it's a path, not trail.
I realize that the weekend youre talking about has come and gone, but for those of you who have not been to Waterfall Glen....it is a viable riding option if Palos is too wet. It is a limestone trail not singletrack , about 9 miles and has some easy elevation changes, if you love to be on a bike.....

·
My bike is my happy place
164 Posts
Ride Oswego! It's dry most of the time

Actually, there is one singletrack option available when Palos is wet - Saw Wee Kee in Oswego (way west/southwest of Chicago). The place has a lot of sand (not beach-like, just higher sand composition in the soil) so it drains far better than most places. Last weekend, I rode when it was 28 degrees and it got to 36 degrees by the time I was done. Trails were dry and beautiful the whole time. Palos, on that day, was turning to mush when the temps got over freezing. The guys in the new CAMBR Oswego chapter told me how the place practically never has puddles and so far I haven't proven them wrong!

It's a lot smaller than Palos, but for being a quarry once (long long time ago) it boasts a rippling topology. The singletrack there has very few straight lines.

And because I know the CAMBR Oswego Prez will want it said: The CAMBR/Oswego Park District partnership is new and fragile. If people race down the neighborhood streets to get there or piss off other trail users, word will get back to the park staff that we're not the kind of people who should be allowed there. If things go well, CAMBR will be allowed to improve the place and put up decent wayfinder signage.

So... ride it and love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.