Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, with warm spell we are getting this week, the ride should be over by 9am. By 9:15am, sun will slowly turn packed snow into corn and frozen muck into cake. I think by 9:30 am, ride will be still fun and no damage to trail occur but it's still safer to end the ride by 9am. I guess 7am to 9am is a good window of opportunity until colder temp returns. Some have been riding over the week based on tread marks here and there but mostly hikers' boot packed track.

First pix is what kind of muck you could run into if you don't end your ride early! Last pix is my bike's post ride condition. Because of icy condition, studded tires are needed IMO. Rode for little over an hr and conditions were mostly hard packed snow, ice, and spotty frozen muck here & there. About 95% of the trail was ridable but 5% required some dab & short walk due to deep snow. It was a fun ride but next time I will need to start by 7am instead of 8am so I can ride a little longer.

Attachments

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2ns day at Palmer...

With encouraging trail condition and ride from yesterday, I gave it go again this morning at 7:30am at Palmer from Mazeland paking lot. Earlier start and yesterday's warm spell have made the trail even better for my studded tires. Snow was super firm, more ice, and grounds were frozen super solid! Because my tires were hooking up much better than yesterday, I gave it go on techincal trails and rode for two hrs. Due to good traction on crusty firm snow and ice, I was able to ride almost all sections. Riding flat pedal is a key when riding slow techy trail with variable condition! When I finished the ride at 9:30am, I could just barely sense that things were slighlty softning up on the trails that are most exopsed to sun. It was the best two ride I had in two months!:cornut: Tomorrow (Saturday) is suppose to be below 30 degree with chance of snow, any part of the day should be good to go!

First 5 pix here were taken at Cheyenne trail right off of Overook park. Mostly variable condition but little to no ice.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.