Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Woohooo!
5,104 Posts
What do you bet that it was a cigarette butt thrown out of a car on Academy? Based on the picture in the Gazette, I think that could easily be the case. It makes me want to go crazy when I see someone doing that...

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
Drives me crazy, too. BTW, the fire in the Preserve on Wednesday was basically at the start of Renegade. Right next to the road. It wouldn't surprise me if that were a cigarette butt fire, too. Thank goodness they got that fire out quickly. It was really windy and could have spread through that scrub oak in no time.

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
What do you bet that it was a cigarette butt thrown out of a car on Academy? Based on the picture in the Gazette, I think that could easily be the case. It makes me want to go crazy when I see someone doing that...
I was surprised when the fire alarm went off at PPCC last week during class and we walked out to an actual fire. The first thing I thought was it had to be started by a cigarette. **** is whack.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Definitely one of my pet peeves. If I were a cop I would ticket every instance of this I saw.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
I went over to check out the Mt Herman Fire yesterday. So glad the firefighters got this quickly under control. It was right near where Black Pearl and Renegade hit the road. The trails were not impacted.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
Mt Herman could use a good fire... just look at those scrub oaks choking everything else to death.
Well, the scrub oak is what came back after the 1989 fire, so I'm not sure how beneficial another one would be. FOMP, USFS, and locals like myself have worked together to plant seedlings over the years (ponderosa pine, I believe). There is a constant effort to release the seedlings (i.e. prune back the scrub oak that is suffocating the seedlings) so they can grow.

·
Almost Human
2,921 Posts
Well, the scrub oak is what came back after the 1989 fire, so I'm not sure how beneficial another one would be. FOMP, USFS, and locals like myself have worked together to plant seedlings over the years (ponderosa pine, I believe). There is a constant effort to release the seedlings (i.e. prune back the scrub oak that is suffocating the seedlings) so they can grow.
That's because gambel oaks can send new shoots up from the roots. I would imagine they burned fairly regularly before we settled here. It's part of their life cycle.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
That's because gambel oaks can send new shoots up from the roots. I would imagine they burned fairly regularly before we settled here. It's part of their life cycle.
If we ever got nuked, I suspect scrub oak and cockroaches would survive and flourish... ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts