Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yo fellow freaks -

Big rides this past weekend in Palm Springs, CA. Saturday the fixie got a 55 mile workout in the Tour de Palm Springs and Sunday was a 5 hour run through the cactus and rock on the Curtlo SS. This was the big test for the new bike and it performed flawlessly. Can't say the same for Specialized Airlock tubes. However let me just say that ebb + disc = God-like. I was pretty apprehensive about a 5 hour rigid ride, but the lack of front suspension was never an issue. The steel frame & fork, carbon bars and 2.4 tire really kept the jolts to a minimum. I was pleasantly surprised :) Clear, sunny weather @ 70F made for an awesome weekend of riding. Kudos to the Punks in the snow back east!

Saturday

Sunrise / moonset in the desert

Sun up for the 7am Tour start

I ran into Calvin (L), also on his fixie. We've only met once or twice and somehow hooked up in a sea of about 5000 riders. We cruised for a long distance together, only spotting 2 other SS bikes. I peeled off at the 55 mile marker and he continued on for the century loop. He's a strong mofo. Between the two of us, we have maybe $200 in our bikes. Pimpin' !

Sunday

The Curtlo awaits the test of the trail

B!tchswacks

Adrienne cruises

unforgiving desert singletrack

Nice day for a ride!

have a great week -
HW

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
dayum, brutha...

i knew i shoulda called ya. i was there, too, getting my windburn on in the 55 miler. it was chilly - my feet were frikkin' freezing til the finish.

i ended up doing the ride solo. i was supposed to go with my boss, but he flaked out (well, ok, his wife was sick, or something...). I looked around for familiar faces, but ****, there were a lot of cyclists!

it sure was a pretty ride. i especially liked the downhill after the first rest station, around the nature preserve. faaassst.

i didn't see anyone riding fixies or singles, but lots of tandems and recumbents. anywho, glad you had a good time; i sure did.

lates!

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bummer

honestly I completely forgot that you'd be there. Way to coordinate :) too bad we didn't see ya.

fast down hills? Never had any. More like white knucklers, trying to hold the fixie back. Glad ya got out there - it was a beauty of a day. I saw a guy in a sleeveless cotton T and shorts at the start. Brrr.

eSSq said:
i knew i shoulda called ya. i was there, too, getting my windburn on in the 55 miler. it was chilly - my feet were frikkin' freezing til the finish.

i ended up doing the ride solo. i was supposed to go with my boss, but he flaked out (well, ok, his wife was sick, or something...). I looked around for familiar faces, but ****, there were a lot of cyclists!

it sure was a pretty ride. i especially liked the downhill after the first rest station, around the nature preserve. faaassst.

i didn't see anyone riding fixies or singles, but lots of tandems and recumbents. anywho, glad you had a good time; i sure did.

lates!

·
No relation
192 Posts
Bottle of pepto-bismol?

Could we perhaps be taking the pink thing a little too far? Can a pink thing be taken too far?

Nice photos, nice bike, nice weather. Nice.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
too far

Pink jerseys are rare - had to have it.

Taking it too far would be pink jersey on the pink bike. Without shorts, and a daisy in my @$$. :)

Ichabod said:
Could we perhaps be taking the pink thing a little too far? Can a pink thing be taken too far?

Nice photos, nice bike, nice weather. Nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Hollywood,

I was out there too....It was good to see you out there! You passed me and said "nice bike" to me. I asked if you were riding fixed or freewheel. I was riding my Odonata and keeping the girlfriend company.

I've been thinking about building up a fixed... what gears were you running?

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
small world

that's funny - I remember you and the Seven :)

Calvin and I were both running 42:16 which was a very manageable gear for that ride.

try it! It's a great experience. I have a nice DeRosa road bike that stayed home so I could take the beat-up Trek fixie on the trip instead. Fun stuff (for some :) )

Jeff

dwu said:
Hey Hollywood,

I was out there too....It was good to see you out there! You passed me and said "nice bike" to me. I asked if you were riding fixed or freewheel. I was riding my Odonata and keeping the girlfriend company.

I've been thinking about building up a fixed... what gears were you running?

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Hollywood said:
Pink jerseys are rare - had to have it.

Taking it too far would be pink jersey on the pink bike. Without shorts, and a daisy in my @$$. :)
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks- i had to wipe tears out of my eyes after that one. and my coworkers now know that I must be nuts for just busting out laughing.

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Hollywood said:
yo fellow freaks -

Big rides this past weekend in Palm Springs, CA. Saturday the fixie got a 55 mile workout in the Tour de Palm Springs and Sunday was a 5 hour run through the cactus and rock on the Curtlo SS. This was the big test for the new bike and it performed flawlessly. Can't say the same for Specialized Airlock tubes. However let me just say that ebb + disc = God-like. I was pretty apprehensive about a 5 hour rigid ride, but the lack of front suspension was never an issue. The steel frame & fork, carbon bars and 2.4 tire really kept the jolts to a minimum. I was pleasantly surprised :) Clear, sunny weather @ 70F made for an awesome weekend of riding. Kudos to the Punks in the snow back east!
have a great week -
HW
Nice pics....for whatever reason I thought all this was this coming weekend. man I'm slow. Glad to hear the rigid pink thing was good for 5 hours :eek:

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
HW, great pics and again, sweet bike! I only got to ride in those deserts for a week but weeing those pics brought back some great memories (esp when I haen't seen the ground since before Christmas!). Knowing that dry trails exist somewhere is comforting albeit maddening!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.