Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Immediately upon viewing MTBBill's New Years Day Palm Canyon to Palm Springs epic video I knew I wanted to do that ride so I contacted him about doing it again. Not only did Bill oblige, but he set the whole thing up and provided maps, shuttle arrangements and even food for the trail! Yesterday (3/12) 15 of us, including MTBBill, Yeti_Rider, Miles, Sorni, Impy, Aosty, Hollywood, Adrienne, BillyGoat, 2PAAD, UncleMTB, Nolan, Winston, Erik and myself repeated the Palm Canyon to Palm Springs Ride. This is an amazing ride through some very remote, beautiful, and very rugged desert terrain. It includes some very narrow, rocky trails with steep drop-offs, several stream crossings, some long sandy climbs and descents, and many sharp cacti lining the trails. Unfortunately, however, it was unseasonably warm, 106 degrees, and that made the trip pretty difficult.

About half way into the ride there is a three mile sandy climb which nearly everyone had to walk, at least the first two miles. About that time the temperature peaked for the day and some of us started dragging in the hot sun. It felt like the Bataan Death March. Adrienne began to show signs of heat exhaustion but she managed to find a bit of shade and I sat with her until she felt better (I could use a break too). A little bit up the trail we ran into Yeti_Rider taking advantage of a tiny bit of shade under a small bush. Some of the party had already exhausted their water by this point. When we reached the top of the climb there was a bail-out via fireroad and Adrienne took it. Hollywood eventually ended up taking it too because after proceeding on with the rest of us he realized he left his camera back there. A bit after that point there was a fantastic narrow rocky twisty decent, with steep drop-offs through mountainsides in full bloom, which went on for many miles. UncleMTB and I were trying to move at a good clip for a video and I nearly fell off the steepest cliff on the entire descent. I had to take a few minutes to collect myself and I took it a bit easier after that.

Along the way there were some mechanical breakdowns and many flat tires. Poor Miles had five flats. Somebody had a crank or bottom bracket problem and one of Impy's pedals broke. The mechanical problems slowed the group enough so that I was rarely behind and Bill patiently waited at strategic places along the route to make sure nobody got left behind. About the time Impy's pedal broke the heat had gotten to me and I was about out of gas. So Impy, UncleMTB and I took another bail-out via a very nasty fireroad. The three of us ended up doing 28 miles while the rest of the group continued on the singletrack. They did 29 miles and got back just a bit after us, and just at twilight. Apparently Bill had a nasty fall just a few hundred yards from the end of the ride and Impy administered some first aid to a badly cut knee.

Despite the heat this was a spectacular ride and if there were a way to avoid the three mile sandy climb it would be even better. Thanks to all for being so nice and special thanks to Bill for setting up the ride and watching over everyone. And thanks again to UncleMTB without whom I probably would not have been able to do this ride. Below are a few photos, I'll post more on my site shortly.

About ready to head out.

MTBBill tending his wound.

Nice scenery.

UncleMTB

Welcome shade break.

Aosty working on Impy's pedal.

Bataan Death March.

Nice trail.

Regrouping.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
ya know

that sandy wash looks almost picturesque in the photo. we know how it really looks though! what a biatch that piece of trail is.

unfortunately, the sections of trail on either end of that bastid are stellar so it's a necessary evil.

good time for sure. what could be better than leaving the house at 5:00 in the AM for a ride, returning at 9:15 in the PM and suffering nothing more than a mild headache due to heat exhaustion and dehydration? No major mechanicals or injuries by the 15 in the group so all in all an overwhelming success!

YR

·
1,317 Posts
technicall speaking

Speedub.Nate said:
Wow, thanks for sharing. Some of that terrain looks to be a blast to ride. No way around the sandy walk, though? Great photos.
There is a way to miss the sandy climb. But it comes at the expense of skipping a FANTASTIC ST descent that lasts for over 15 minutes. it's a necessary evil for certain.

YR

·
2,093 Posts
Nice passion hit wherewolf

Man, i missed out on that one. I'd like to join in on that ride sometime. How long did it take to do the 29 miles? Did i miss this, what town did you start in? One more question, what were the temps like down there?

·
1,317 Posts
answers

E ! said:
Man, i missed out on that one. I'd like to join in on that ride sometime. How long did it take to do the 29 miles? Did i miss this, what town did you start in? One more question, what were the temps like down there?
we started on the bikes at 9:30 in the AM.

those that took the more direct route back at the bailout point got back to the end of the ride at between 4:30 and 5:00. everybody that did the extended version got back to the vehicles at 5:30 or so. actual riding time was only about 4.5 hours. the rest was time spent regrouping and waiting for all necessary repairs to be completed.

the ride starts in the mountains above Palm Springs and ends in the city of Palm Springs. the high temp was probably in the upper 90's or very near or slightly over 100. temp at the start of the ride at 4000 plus feet was already in the lower 80s.

YR

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check with Bill

E ! said:
Check Bill's site for more details and maps. It started about 30 - 40 miles south of Palm Springs. The fast group that did the entire route took about nine hours. However, without us slowpokes they probably could have knocked off at least three hours. I don't know how hot it was on the trail but it had been in the mid 90's in Palm Springs. You should contact Bill, I believe he said he is doing a trip to Bootleg and eastward in the next week or so.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
One hot fun ride!

It was great to ride with everyone. I would definitely do it again.

I do not think any of us will forget Dry Wash Trail where temperatures hit 106 degrees.

My write up, pictures and video can be found here.

Bill plans our next move:

Attachments

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
A good day on the bike. A few pics to add

I had a great time yesterday and it was my pleasure to meet and ride with all of you. The heat was indeed quite a beater and I don't think many of us were prepared or conditioned for it. I have to say the food and water after the ride never tasted so good as I was famished and a bit dehyrdrated. My little boo-boo at the rides end turned out to be only a "minor flesh wound" taking only six stitches to close things back up. Here are some of the pictures I took during the course of the day.

Billy working a short rise

UncleMTB coming down into Omscott Wash

Impy riding off into the most lame of views

Riders heading down the Hahn Buena Vista trail

Winston making quick work of a little hill

Aosty admiring the abundant evil cholla.

It took a lot to stop on the Hahn Buena Vista Trail to take a picture or two.

Winston, Nolen, Impy, Aosty, and Eric kicking back at a reqroup spot.

Another terrible view

I have also put up a trail description on my site would some additonal pictures.​

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Great photos!

So it was even hotter than I thought! Now I don't feel like such a girly man. My video is about done and just needs to be compressed and uploaded. Evidently I "lost" two tapes. While hurrying up it appears I hit the stop button while loading the camera into my pack. And I'm fairly certain I must have dropped the tape I took out in my haste to keep up with you guys. I started that at the first creek crossing. Too bad. I only got a few seconds of you rabbits at the start. But lots of good footage on the big descent. Thanks again for being so patient.

·
2,093 Posts
Checked out your write up winston

Winston said:
It was great to ride with everyone. I would definitely do it again.

I do not think any of us will forget Dry Wash Trail where temperatures hit 106 degrees.

My write up, pictures and video can be found here.

Bill plans our next move:
Way cool. So since it's gonna be blazing heat i guess the next ride won't be for awhile.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nice now

The weather has cooled off. They just hit the hottest day in the week. It got up to the low 90s here during the week but in that wash it was probably hotter. the week before it was close to perfect. I guess you just had bad timing.

·
1,317 Posts
nice

can't wait to see the goat trail on video. too bad you didn't get the first descent of the day but two out of three isn't too bad! the sun was going down towards the end of the ride so hopefully the lighting on your clip will still be good. with the camera you should have better image quality in lower light than I would have had with just my lipstick cam.

YR

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.