mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
I might be able to make it

Wherewolf said:
How about a Palm Canyon ride to celebrate UncleMTB's 50th birthday in early February? Saturday February 4th or 11th? This ride requires some logistics, including self-shuttling, so it would be nice if someone from down south did some of the planning. We had a great time last spring. Check out the ride reports, photos and videos:
not sure if I can though. it'll be a pretty late decision for me if I can make it.

My baby is due 1/29/06 so I'm not sure if I'll be granted a full day furlough that soon after birth or not..............we'll see.

YR

·
Registered
817 Posts
wife + newborn = epic?

Yeti_Rider said:
My baby is due 1/29/06 so I'm not sure if I'll be granted a full day furlough that soon after birth or not..............we'll see.

YR
Congrats YR, but....

Heh, um good luck on that one... like your wife's letting you leave for an all day epic with a week old baby. You'll be lucky to ride around the block ;)

I might be in on this ride, been wanting to hit it up for some time now.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
Wherewolf said:
How about a Palm Canyon ride to celebrate UncleMTB's 50th birthday in early February? Saturday February 4th or 11th? This ride requires some logistics, including self-shuttling, so it would be nice if someone from down south did some of the planning. We had a great time last spring. Check out the ride reports, photos and videos:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=85246

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/PalmSprings/index.htm
If you can ride on Sunday the 5th, I can show the way. I'll cover you and UncleMTB for the shuttle. (I should even have a roomier truck by then)

We will plan more as things develop, but all plan on your entire day being out on this 31 mileish route. According to how many decide to do this ride, well setup an A and an A Minus group. This route is not for B groups (mostly based on length/endurance requirements).

Shuttle setups can be tricky so that will be the biggest logistics crunch.

-Bill

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
hehehe

burner said:
Congrats YR, but....

Heh, um good luck on that one... like your wife's letting you leave for an all day epic with a week old baby. You'll be lucky to ride around the block ;)

I might be in on this ride, been wanting to hit it up for some time now.
yeah, I know it's pretty much wishful thinking.............I've already had to back out of a fantastic New Year's Day epic since I can't be gone that long. Man, who'd ever thought parenthood would cut into my riding time! ;-)

on the plus side, I can still remember driving home from a morning ride at Martha's Grove/Sycamore Canyon 2 1/2 years ago when my wife called me to ask how long I'd be until I got home. I said, 20 minutes why? Cuz my water just broke! rush home, jump in the shower and then head to the hospital. 36 freaking hours later..........My son finally decided to come out and see us!

YR

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're in!

mtbbill said:
If you can ride on Sunday the 5th, I can show the way. I'll cover you and UncleMTB for the shuttle.
Just talked to Tim and we're in! I'm getting him down there as a birthday present and you can do the rest. You did a masterful job last year. Really looking forward to it, especially since I have both a better bike and helmet-cam system this year.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've been putting off a ride down that way for too long, I'm in. Plus, I need a little idea of what that big five-oh ride is like, mine's coming real soon.

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Thanks Bill...

mtbbill said:
If you can ride on Sunday the 5th, I can show the way. I'll cover you and UncleMTB for the shuttle. (I should even have a roomier truck by then)

We will plan more as things develop, but all plan on your entire day being out on this 31 mileish route. According to how many decide to do this ride, well setup an A and an A Minus group. This route is not for B groups (mostly based on length/endurance requirements).

Shuttle setups can be tricky so that will be the biggest logistics crunch.

-Bill
...It's going to get tougher to do SoCal with my son tranfering to Va...

I've been looking forward to a big ride for my B-day and I couldn't swing the Copper Canyon deal...maybe for my 60th...I'll see what Steve does for his and then decide!

See you on the 5th of Feb...
Tim

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
I'm in!

Count me in as well with some of my OC peeps.

Can't wait to hit the Dry Wash Trail aka Highway to Hell again:

Photo by Wherewolf

Wherewolf said:
Just talked to Tim and we're in! I'm getting him down there as a birthday present and you can do the rest. You did a masterful job last year. Really looking forward to it, especially since I have both a better bike and helmet-cam system this year.

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
Oh Yeah....

Wherewolf said:
How about a Palm Canyon ride to celebrate UncleMTB's 50th birthday in early February? Saturday February 4th or 11th?
We did the Pinion Flats ride this last Friday with a small group in a little over 6 hours and had a ball... except for the 3 miles of the sandy wash up to Dunn's Road. Very glad that I had read one of the threads of a previous Pinion Flats ride... I took my body armor and was glad I did! Other than a couple of flats, our group had a great ride. Perfect time to ride weather-wise.

How does the Palm Canyon Ride compare to the Pinion Flats ride??? I'd go back in a heart beat!

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
mtber3737 said:
We did the Pinion Flats ride this last Friday with a small group in a little over 6 hours and had a ball... except for the 3 miles of the sandy wash up to Dunn's Road. Very glad that I had read one of the threads of a previous Pinion Flats ride... I took my body armor and was glad I did! Other than a couple of flats, our group had a great ride. Perfect time to ride weather-wise.

How does the Palm Canyon Ride compare to the Pinion Flats ride??? I'd go back in a heart beat!
The Pinion Flats trail joins the Palm Canyon trail after about 4 miles at in the canyon bottom. The Pinion Flats trail is a faster trail than the traditional Palm Canyon trail, but top of Palm Canyon is very narrow, often rugged and more exposed that is better "sipped" than "chugged". Those scared of heights usually get nervous on parts of that section. They are both good trails.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
Palm Canyon Qualifier List

MrMountainHop said:
Mind if I tag along? I can fit two in comfort, four a little cramped.
Posting here, pretty much makes this an open invite ride.

General Rule for those deciding to do this ride:

This is a big freaking ride at 31 miles over some rugged terrain and you may end up out there all day. This ride really stresses cardio-endurance and while falling into an mid-intermediate level on the technical arena for the majority of the ride there are some hairy sections (The route we are going), mostly in the later half of the ride.

If you have never done an "epic", this may not be your best ride choice for your first one.

Here are a couple of SoCal trail routes that I have done that I think if you can do one of these rides you'll be okay to do this ride.

- You have started at the bottom of Noble, rode up the pavement and done Indian Truck Trail to Noble, did the Big Laguna Trail and then went down Noble.

- You have gone up Harding Truck Trail, over Santiago Peak, down Holy Jim and looped back to the Harding Truck Trail. (Thats harder climbing, but matches endurance drain)

- You have done the Cannell Plunge ride in Kernville.

For the other Palm Canyon Vets here, what other trails do you think will put someone in the "okay to do this ride" category?

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
OK...Let me get this straight....

mtbbill said:
The Pinion Flats trail joins the Palm Canyon trail after about 4 miles at in the canyon bottom. The Pinion Flats trail is a faster trail than the traditional Palm Canyon trail, but top of Palm Canyon is very narrow, often rugged and more exposed that is better "sipped" than "chugged". Those scared of heights usually get nervous on parts of that section. They are both good trails.
the bottom portion of the Pinion Flats Trail is the same as the Palm Canyon Trail.. up that great sand wash (read walk!), ends up at Dunns Road to the tractor, then up the hill and down that great downhill single track & finally down the fire road back to civilization?

I would imiagine the that snady wash has a lot of water in it right now from the rains and will be rideable soon after?

Last question: As I understand it, the Pinion Flats ride is closed from Jan through June due to the mountain goats.. is the Palm Canyon Trail effected as well with this closure?

Thanks Bill for the info & Happy New Year... perhaps we'll get to ride together in the future.

Best,

Gregg

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm supposed

to be training for a double century for the 18th (Butterfield Double Century), but I guess I could kind of call this training too,huh? If it's open I'm in!

I believe the Palm Springs century is the same day.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
mtber3737 said:
the bottom portion of the Pinion Flats Trail is the same as the Palm Canyon Trail.. up that great sand wash (read walk!), ends up at Dunns Road to the tractor, then up the hill and down that great downhill single track & finally down the fire road back to civilization?

I would imiagine the that snady wash has a lot of water in it right now from the rains and will be rideable soon after?

Last question: As I understand it, the Pinion Flats ride is closed from Jan through June due to the mountain goats.. is the Palm Canyon Trail effected as well with this closure?

Thanks Bill for the info & Happy New Year... perhaps we'll get to ride together in the future.

Best,

Gregg
The Pinion Flats trail ends where it drops into canyon bottom which is Point D on this Map. After that point you are on the Palm Canyon trail until you hit the bottom on the sandy climb (Dry Wash Road).

The voluntary closure area for the sheep lambing season includes all of Dunn Road on BLM land so you are not "volunteering" for the 1/2 mile section between the top of the sandy climb to the top of the Hahn Buena Vista trail. (Between Point M and N on this map).

Here is some 411on the voluntary closure.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.